JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been a 9mm striker fire guy all my life, but lately I've been pondering the idea of buying a .45. Low capacity, 10 rounds or less, is what's been keeping me from buying. I own Glocks and M&P9s, with a capacity range of 15-17 rounds. Having a lot of rounds makes me sleep better at night.

To really push me over, I would like to find a .45 with a comparable capacity of a 9mm pistol. From my limited research, I can go:
- Glock 21 - 13rds
- M&P45 - 10rds (14rds mag looks stupid)
- FNP-45 - 15rds

Do you guys have any other suggestions that I should look at?

Would you consider a compromise? A .40 caliber pistol? Every major gun maker has them in various platforms and the .40 is a police combat proven round. Magazine capacities, with my XD sub-compact, has 9 or 12 rounds, some other brands with more, some with less. Just something to ponder. I own several .40's and .45's and they are all good.

My husband just had to have a 1911. He bought the Kimber. Unfortunately I can't determine if my next investment will be just a .45 or a Kimber. I certainly don't need another 9mm and I have a .38. So...I have never shot another gun that is as sweet as this one.
I'd check out the Kimbers!

Happy hunting.

Wifey

Second that for the para. I had a p15-40 with 2 high cap mags. 16rds each. The p15-40 was the precursor to the p16-40. It was just as accurate as my buddies Kimber. Wouldn't hesitate to get another one! Plus they make high-cap 45's.

Springfield XD45 (13+1). I don't have large hands and it's one of the few double stack 45s I don't have a problem with. Double stack 1911 designs like the para feel like I'm holding a brick.

Why try to have the guy change calibers? Everyone always want everyone else to see it their way.
Besides 45ACP is the best......or 10mm

I think you have two great choices there,with the G21 and the FN.I don't recall what the XD45 holds but the first time I shot it,it made me look good.

Sounds like you're familiar with Glocks so the G-21 would be a natural. The FNP-45 is a good gun "owned one", but they weigh about 6 oz's more than a Glock, and are a bit bulkier, making them a little more of a challenge to carry and conceal.

I love glocks, have a 17,19 and 35. The 21 grip is too big for my hands, have you shot it yet? I have a kriss vector, and wanted a glock .45 because it uses the same mags... can't do it. Just doesn't feel right in my hands. The FN .45 has a nice grip. Another thing to consider, .45 is dirty! Only mags I have to clean.

I have an Auto Ord. M1911A1 .45acp with 1) 8 round & 4) 7 round mags. I know they also make hi capacity single stack mags that work great but are slightly bulky due to length. I personaly see no need for hi cap mags unless your at war and all you have is your hand gun. Also a .45 has more stopping power than a 9mm, so you can put a being down faster and and make it known that you have a big gun.

ikari2 ... I've recently been perusing the .45 ACP market.
While I found a Norinco 1911A1 for the beginning of my 45 ACP experience, I still look for a (sub) compact double stack 1911 45.
Something a little smaller to carry concealed, but would be expected to be reliable as such.

SIG's P250 in 45 ACP won't be readliy available, if at all for sometime, excluding the barrel upgrade kit.
I liked the specs of the Para Ordnance Warthog, but the grip was too short, even for my little paws.
The Para 12.45 is no longer available, but can be had pre-loved.
Llama had the mini-Max II, same as for Para, pre-loved ones are around.

I liked the Colt New Agent or Defender.
Kimber's Ultra Carry was in the hunt too.

... then I found the ATI HGA FX45 Fatboy

American Tactical Imports

Now a 3.2" barrel will be considered by some as short and there might be performance issues.
But for ME, the Fatboy is something I will have to look at more closely. Needing to learn more about American Tactical ...

There are a lot of other specs to consider when choosing a 1911 style 45 and for that fact, I have a few of the forum members to thank in the education.

Anyway, something else for you to ponder over ...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top