JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you be interested in using an application like this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
$0...

She's got a full ride from her scholarships, still happy to be living at home, has a clean shaven very polite BF who is just the right amount of scared of me and will be a Neurologist in another 7 years or something crazy.

She knows I don't have the kind of scratch to pay her way thru med school so she stays on the honor role, deans list and volunteers at 3 different places.

Takes after her mom that way, I spent my time in college working out or drunk:p.

OMG, Animal House patterned OGRE (John Belushi)after you eh???

11794212_10153574073580528_333151075088016521_o.jpg

I think the OP is the naive one here in a few ways. First - your far too trusting of government agents, ISP's and phone carriers to believe that "regulations" mean jack to them. They play by the rules so long as it suits them, and even then lip service is typically what you get. I don't trust either as far as I could throw them. If they want to access what you're doing - they can and will. And doing it on a GPS with a camer and microphone just gives them more to go on if they so choose.

Second - the notion that "no one goes to blahblah.com - they use the native app" is bunk. Maybe kids that only have a smartphone - but the world isn't comprised of kids. Especially the firearms enthusiast crowd. I'm in my mid 30's, I grew up at the dawn of the Internet age, I worked for Intel in a software engineering group in my late teens/early 20s. I'm not slow to embrace technology - when it's better. My preference in browsing sites like this is the traditional desktop view on a laptop. I can have multiple tabs open and switch to them with ease, I have an honest to god keyboard with which to type out a response instead of wearing out my thumb.

Desktop sites are more robust, easier to look at, and easier to read and navigate. I do not, and will not ever if I can help it, use anything like Tapatalk, and have not yet found a "native app" for a website or even a mobile-version of a website that was anywhere close to the ease of use, responsiveness, or robustness of the traditional desktop site it was derived from.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt being 21 and full of energy. We were all like that once. I'm only 15 years older than you - but that's 15 years to become far, far less trusting of businesses, government, and people in general. I've been subject to numerous data breaches, identity thieves, and gotten malware from seemingly benign places (whoever would have thought ilikegoatsandmidgets.com would give you an internet STD :rolleyes:) - so I'll keep using what I like until they're just not there anymore, or something comes along that is actually better. Then I will either be dragged into using the newer stuff grudgingly, or give it up and unplug from the 'net like the crusty old guys in the distopian future movies.

If you don't think that everything you do, everywhere you go, every app you use isn't monitored and warehoused in some government file - you've never heard of Carnivore, the NSA, or Edward Snowden.

Good luck with your app development though - if you create and market one, you can become rich fairly quick. I think I'd stick to stuff appealing to a broader audience though - because you'll get rich quicker than you would focusing on gun guys.

I think the OP is the naive one here in a few ways. First - your far too trusting of government agents, ISP's and phone carriers to believe that "regulations" mean jack to them. They play by the rules so long as it suits them, and even then lip service is typically what you get. I don't trust either as far as I could throw them. If they want to access what you're doing - they can and will. And doing it on a GPS with a camer and microphone just gives them more to go on if they so choose.

Second - the notion that "no one goes to blahblah.com - they use the native app" is bunk. Maybe kids that only have a smartphone - but the world isn't comprised of kids. Especially the firearms enthusiast crowd. I'm in my mid 30's, I grew up at the dawn of the Internet age, I worked for Intel in a software engineering group in my late teens/early 20s. I'm not slow to embrace technology - when it's better. My preference in browsing sites like this is the traditional desktop view on a laptop. I can have multiple tabs open and switch to them with ease, I have an honest to god keyboard with which to type out a response instead of wearing out my thumb.

Desktop sites are more robust, easier to look at, and easier to read and navigate. I do not, and will not ever if I can help it, use anything like Tapatalk, and have not yet found a "native app" for a website or even a mobile-version of a website that was anywhere close to the ease of use, responsiveness, or robustness of the traditional desktop site it was derived from.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt being 21 and full of energy. We were all like that once. I'm only 15 years older than you - but that's 15 years to become far, far less trusting of businesses, government, and people in general. I've been subject to numerous data breaches, identity thieves, and gotten malware from seemingly benign places (whoever would have thought ilikegoatsandmidgets.com would give you an internet STD :rolleyes:) - so I'll keep using what I like until they're just not there anymore, or something comes along that is actually better. Then I will either be dragged into using the newer stuff grudgingly, or give it up and unplug from the 'net like the crusty old guys in the distopian future movies.

If you don't think that everything you do, everywhere you go, every app you use isn't monitored and warehoused in some government file - you've never heard of Carnivore, the NSA, or Edward Snowden.

Good luck with your app development though - if you create and market one, you can become rich fairly quick. I think I'd stick to stuff appealing to a broader audience though - because you'll get rich quicker than you would focusing on gun guys.

Anyone ever watch the tv show hunted? I watched a couple episodes because it intrigued me. YOU my friend are absolutely right when you say they can access anything that you are plugged into. I always new this was the case but that show kinda gives you a perspective about how they do it and all the things they can do. Now multiply that by I am sure at least a 100 and you have what they are capable of if they want to.

I actually find using the web from any phone app sucks way worse than from any desktop browser. The screen is tiny, its sucks typing, their is no mouse. Not dissing smartphones, they are a great invention and work well for what they are, but they are not a real computer.

That said, I think you should develop the app. The world is wide open and members of this forum are just a small percentage of people who own guns. Will it be successful or not doesn't matter if you don't give it a try.

Thanks Koda!

Keep in mind, the internet browser on your phone and your laptop are essentially the same thing, but on a smaller, touch-screen device. It is still rendering HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc. in the same way a desktop browser will.

I'm talking about creating an application that is native to the mobile device so the end user will NOT have to visit a browser, period.

Think of www.Facebook.com on your iPhone internet browser vs. the Facebook iPhone application.

Over the course of the coming years, more and more people will join the firearm enthusiast community - who also are technologically inclined. It may be a ways ahead of the curve, but eventually, I believe firearm enthusiasts will embrace a platform that caters to them (without being weary).

Good point, though.

Congratulations, you're going to create gun MySpace.

I appreciate your insight, I don't believe its un-founded. I see your point, but I still believe the era of people who still use browsers as opposed to native apps is coming to a halt, quickly.

I also understand why many people, especially 2a members, are weary of the government and their prying eyes. My belief is that they can do what they want to do regardless. They already have databases of registered owners, CCW permit holders, etc. Pair that data with Google's (and hundreds of companies more) insight on you. Using this app wouldn't alter that, unless you are partaking in illegal activity in which case you're bound to get caught up regardless.

I mean, I found my Mother & Grandmother on snapchat. There's some hope :)

I appreciate your advice, I'll be sure to take it into account when iterating on my design.. :s0005:

A simple vote would have sufficed.

You're implying that everyone has a smart phone and knows how to use it.

Absolutely not. I am implying that those adapt to the mobile platform, who have a smartphone, would more than likely appreciate and use something like this app if they are gun-enthusiasts.

For those who are not on a smartphone and don't know how to use it, most will continue to use dated technology, like BB's and forums, because this is what they know and this is what they're used to. As stated previously, these technologies are not obsolete and they are still relevant. They simply are outdated in terms of engineering, design and efficiency.

Congratulations, you're going to create gun MySpace.

I would hope not. Facebook took a sh*t on Myspace. :)

Zach, what's your favorite firearm?

Mind you, my experience is very limited. In no particular order:

*favorites are bold & italicized.

Handguns:
  • Colt 1911 .45 ACP
  • M&P Shield 9mm Performance Center (My personal EDC)
  • Glock 19
Rifles:
  • AR 15
  • Winchester .308 Win-Mag
Shotguns:
  • Double-barrel 12 gauge (I forget the manufacturer of the one I shot)

Last Edited:
Well, you may find it even more concerning that I don't know what 'SKS' is.

Care to elaborate :)?
Here's a Yugoslavian. You can find pre Yugoslavians without the funny looking attachment over the barrel (used to launch grenades). You can find Chinese still. It's rare to find Albanian or Romanian. If you come across a Russian, buy it. When I was your age the SKS was a cheap gun at 150 bucks. Now they tend to be 450. Still...A cheap surplus gun that is very robust and won't let you down. Typically only having a box mag of 10 rounds, these old war horses would still get the job done. An sks was one of my first rifles. Very amazing gun. IMG_20160726_180718.jpg

Here's a Yugoslavian. You can find pre Yugoslavians without the funny looking attachment over the barrel (used to launch grenades). You can find Chinese still. It's rare to find Albanian or Romanian. If you come across a Russian, buy it. When I was your age the SKS was a cheap gun at 150 bucks. Now they tend to be 450. Still...A cheap surplus gun that is very robust and won't let you down. Typically only having a box mag of 10 rounds, these old war horses would still get the job done. An sks was one of my first rifles. Very amazing gun.
View attachment 346018

Interesting, I'd love to shoot one! I have shot a few different rifles before, but my favorite has to be the AR for an assault rifle. For long range I would expirement with different .308 Win-Mag's.

Well, you may find it even more concerning that I don't know what 'SKS' is.

Care to elaborate :)?
A carbine designed in WWII to shoot 7.62x39. Wooden stock, fixed 10 round magazine, and fun to shoot. I have a Yugoslavian one for the grenade launcher. Most tend to have a chrome lined bore. Early Russians don't, and most if not all Yugslavian SKSs don't either. Fantastic gun, I almost like it as much as a Mauser.

A carbine designed in WWII to shoot 7.62x39. Wooden stock, fixed 10 round magazine, and fun to shoot. I have a Yugoslavian one for the grenade launcher. Most tend to have a chrome lined bore. Early Russians don't, and most if not all Yugslavian SKSs don't either. Fantastic gun, I almost like it as much as a Mauser.

Thanks for the detailed clarification!

I have yet to shoot one. I did shoot a friend's M1 Garand and absolutely loved it for some reason.

The real fun is launching a grenade, or dummy grenade I should say, with a Yugoslavian one.

An SKS also goes well with a futuristic space gun, bring both to the range and the fun never stops.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top