JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With new laws coming out all the time, I'm thinking about buying a suppressor before they get banned. I'm looking for suggestions about which ones to consider buying. I mostly shoot 9mm and 7.62x39, and I've heard that some 9mm cans will work with 7.62x39, so perhaps I could just buy one can to use for both? I've done some searches but it's information overload. Ideally the suppressor would make both calibers hearing safe without earplugs. Even better if my pistols didn't need suppressor height sights to work with the can. Mainly this is for an AK and a CZ SP-01. Thanks for any advice on this!

Subsonic x39 is going to open up many more options than supersonic x39. Supersonic anything isn't hearing safe, and while many cans are rated for anything subsonic that can fit through them, supers are not.

Read the manufacturer specs very carefully.

Yes I was planning on shooting subsonic ammo when using the suppressor. I know that the subsonic ammo can sometimes be expensive or hard to find.
Yep, I shoot subsonic x39 and you're correct. It's hard to find and once you find it, it's not cheap. Currently lowest is about $1/rnd.

Also there's only a hand full of options.... Brown Bear, Atomic and maybe one or two more. Plus the thing is, its barely subsonic and some have cycling issue in certain rifles.

So added 300blk subsonic instead as that opens up more options with true subsonic fps. Much quiter then the x39 variant. But also much more expensive at around $1.40/rnd lowest I can find.

Talking from personal experience, You can go with a more "Universal" can in .45". There are some on the market that are rated for 300BLK that in turn will accommodate everything .45 and under. We tend to think we have to have the can for the caliber but an oversized caliber can actually works just fine for most of us. I used to run .22LR in a 9mm can, worked as good if not better than the, at that time, one .22LR can I had. These days I have a few .45 ACP cans, one is rated for 300 BLK that would include 7.62x39 subs. Yet any time I can pump .45ACP through it too if I wish. Good stuff!

SO just getting a 9mm can…… consider a .45 can. Now high power rifle like .308 etc you need a can rated for that. of course those cans can also run 7.62 subs. BUT a 7.62 cant be universally used for 9mm obviously due to the larger 9mm v 7.62 bore.

Personally Just buy as many cans as you can. I have 3 boys so about the second time I bought a round of suppressors I made sure I had at least 4!

Last Edited:
The YHM R9 is a 9mm bore can rated up to 308. It should work with 7.62x39 depending on barrel length. As well as your pistol. It won't be small enough for regular pistol sights however. It is fairly inexpensive though, so extra funds can be used on sights and a booster.

Yes I was planning on shooting subsonic ammo when using the suppressor. I know that the subsonic ammo can sometimes be expensive or hard to find.
Good time to start reloading your own. Since I load my own, i have all the subs I want. Including custom made subs for bolt v. Auto fed of the same caliber.

With new laws coming out all the time, I'm thinking about buying a suppressor before they get banned. I'm looking for suggestions about which ones to consider buying. I mostly shoot 9mm and 7.62x39, and I've heard that some 9mm cans will work with 7.62x39, so perhaps I could just buy one can to use for both? I've done some searches but it's information overload. Ideally the suppressor would make both calibers hearing safe without earplugs. Even better if my pistols didn't need suppressor height sights to work with the can. Mainly this is for an AK and a CZ SP-01. Thanks for any advice on this!
Since you are in are Oregon plz b aware that if measure 114 passes it will affect your ability to take possession of the suppressor. After ATF gives you the stamp you will have to do an oregon transfer which would require live fire and classroom training, an additional permit, an additional background check (in addition to Nics as I understand it). Also their system will have to be in place (if unfunded who knows when that will happen) and may have a tremendous backlog even after the OR system is set up and you have jumped through all the new hoops.

Just trying to alert you to the possibility so you don't get blindsided. I think a lot of people who will apply or have applied in the past for the stamp may be surprised that they cannot pick up their suppressor after ATF approval but will need to jump through all the new OR hoops.

So added 300blk subsonic instead as that opens up more options with true subsonic fps. Much quiter then the x39 variant. But also much more expensive at around $1.40/rnd lowest I can find.
Off topic for the gentlemen's thread, but there are decent reman 300BLK out there for about half that. PM me for a link.

The Griffin Bushwhacker 46 looks to handle both cartridges with no issues. We have one mounted on a Ruger 77/44. Results with lighter loads are pretty quiet, while full house .44 Magnums not so much. The little I've used it I've found it easy with respect to servicing, etc. For our application it is "good enough", but there is likely better options out there.

There are several can that can run both 9mm and 7.62 / 30 cal: SilencerCo's Omega 36m and Omega 46m, Dead Air's Primal, Griffin's Bushwacker 46, YHM's R9, to name a few. If you're only running subsonic 7.62x39 or 300BLK, you can run any 9mm or 45 cal pistol can.

There are things to know, though:
  • Pistol-specific suppressors can't handle the pressures of supersonic rifle rounds, but subsonic 7.62x39 or 300BLK are generally okay.
  • The do-it-all suppressors listed above that can handle both supersonic rifle rounds and pistol rounds are going to be big and heavy compared to a pistol-specific suppressor. Ounces matter a lot more on a pistol suppressor than a rifle suppressor, because on a pistol the suppressor's entire weight is cantilevered off your hands—it can get tiring quick. In contrast, with a rifle suppressor, you have the weight of the rifle behind your forward/support hand to offset the suppressor's weight, plus friction of the stock against your shoulder.
  • Suppressor baffles designed for supersonic gas flow are different than those designed for subsonic gas flow. While either will generally work in the other's regime, the trade-off in performance compared to a suppressor used within its design envelope can be substantial. Think: going to the grocery store in a Ferrari, or taking a minivan to the racetrack; either vehicle can do either task, but clearly one vehicle is going to perform better than the other at each task.
  • The closer your suppressor's bore diameter is to the bullet diameter, generally the quieter it will be. So, the do-it-all suppressors, with their oversized bores, give up sound and flash suppression in this regard, too.
I'm not saying don't get a do-it-all suppressor. They have their place, and can be a good way to save some money. Just set your expectations realistically and know what compromises you're making.

There are several can that can run both 9mm and 7.62 / 30 cal: SilencerCo's Omega 36m and Omega 46m, Dead Air's Primal, Griffin's Bushwacker 46, YHM's R9, to name a few. If you're only running subsonic 7.62x39 or 300BLK, you can run any 9mm or 45 cal pistol can.

There are things to know, though:
  • Pistol-specific suppressors can't handle the pressures of supersonic rifle rounds, but subsonic 7.62x39 or 300BLK are generally okay.
  • The do-it-all suppressors listed above that can handle both supersonic rifle rounds and pistol rounds are going to be big and heavy compared to a pistol-specific suppressor. Ounces matter a lot more on a pistol suppressor than a rifle suppressor, because on a pistol the suppressor's entire weight is cantilevered off your hands—it can get tiring quick. In contrast, with a rifle suppressor, you have the weight of the rifle behind your forward/support hand to offset the suppressor's weight, plus friction of the stock against your shoulder.
  • Suppressor baffles designed for supersonic gas flow are different than those designed for subsonic gas flow. While either will generally work in the other's regime, the trade-off in performance compared to a suppressor used within its design envelope can be substantial. Think: going to the grocery store in a Ferrari, or taking a minivan to the racetrack; either vehicle can do either task, but clearly one vehicle is going to perform better than the other at each task.
  • The closer your suppressor's bore diameter is to the bullet diameter, generally the quieter it will be. So, the do-it-all suppressors, with their oversized bores, give up sound and flash suppression in this regard, too.
I'm not saying don't get a do-it-all suppressor. They have their place, and can be a good way to save some money. Just set your expectations realistically and know what compromises you're making.
I am not sure the overall larger volume does not make up for the larger bore. Extreme example, I own a vers 50, which is pretty darn good on 9mm as well. Granted, it is roughly the diameter of a baseball bat and is huge. It does better than one of my 9mm specific ones.

I have a form one suppressor that does well on both. 7.62 and 9mm. I am saying volume matters. Volume also can make it unwieldy. Why such a big suppressor? 500 s&w magnum lever gun has absolutely vicious sonic blast. Hearing safe? Not even close, but less likely to deafen you through hearing pro.

I have played with enough suppressors that I would go for 2. One 45 cal pistol suppressor and a 30 caliber rifle suppressor would be my choice just because the rifle pressure level is going to be heavier and bulkier, but that the suppression would likely be fine given a potential larger gas volume.

FWIW I have found the 7.62x39 subs to be quite quiet.

I guess there is a lot to consider. I might not be able to make a decision before the new Oregon law takes effect if it passes. I just moved to Oregon from California to get away from the heat and oppressive laws. Do I need to start planning a move to Alaska or what LOL?

I guess there is a lot to consider. I might not be able to make a decision before the new Oregon law takes effect if it passes. I just moved to Oregon from California to get away from the heat and oppressive laws. Do I need to start planning a move to Alaska or what LOL?
Probably. I am moving out of this state as soon as I can.

The Deadair Wolfman would meet your specific use case very well. Awesome can for 9mm, 300blk sub or super, 7.62x39 sub or super and is also rated for 5.56.

With the Wolfman advertising saying wipes are "user replaceable" just know that the ATF takes the opposite position, and while absurd, the only current way to get replacement wipes (literally circles of rubber cut with scissors in one minute) within the ATF's view is to have an FFL cut the rubber and hand you the circle! https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/20/wipes-silencer-parts/

Do with that information what you choose.

You do not have to use a wipe with the Wolfman. I am sure most owners are like me and use it once for the novelty and then never use them again. It is an exceptional can for both 9mm, 300blk and 7.62x39.

Since you are in are Oregon plz b aware that if measure 114 passes it will affect your ability to take possession of the suppressor. After ATF gives you the stamp you will have to do an oregon transfer which would require live fire and classroom training, an additional permit, an additional background check (in addition to Nics as I understand it). Also their system will have to be in place (if unfunded who knows when that will happen) and may have a tremendous backlog even after the OR system is set up and you have jumped through all the new hoops.

Just trying to alert you to the possibility so you don't get blindsided. I think a lot of people who will apply or have applied in the past for the stamp may be surprised that they cannot pick up their suppressor after ATF approval but will need to jump through all the new OR hoops.
I have my first 2 suppressors in jail right now on E-form 4. I guess I assumed that once the background check is done by ATF I just go pick them up. Is that not the case if the November crap passes?

I have my first 2 suppressors in jail right now on E-form 4. I guess I assumed that once the background check is done by ATF I just go pick them up. Is that not the case if the November crap passes?
I believe the ATF only processes the stamp (whatever it is they actually do that takes so long).

Once you get the stamp, then the FFL does a background check to release it to you.

-my simplistic understanding, which could very well be wrong-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads