JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even with carbide it's not a bad idea to clean even if it's just a little. Get enough gunk in the carbide die and it can scratch the shih-tsu out of the brass. Depending on how big and how abrasive that grit is, it can be pretty bad.

BTDT
However, stopped putting pistol brass in with my rifle brass - a bunch would cup over the rifle case neck, and I'd wind up setting those aside for retumbling.

That's a good question - I've never had the metals content analyzed in my water, nor thought to have it done. The acid wash I have does not remove any metal but it does reverse the oxide and sulfur discolorations. What lead content may be in the cases is another matter. Have you googled it?

Speaking about the carbide dies and cleaning pistol brass. YES. It's NOT a bad idea to start with clean brass. But for me......... My brass may look ugly. But, I don't care. It's not a beauty contest. In other words.......it's just another step that I've managed to avoid without the world coming to an end.

Bottom Line: YES, there is nothing wrong with clean.

Aloha, Mark

What do you do with all the waste water from ultrasonic or stainless tumbling? Isn't it too toxic to dump down the drain?

I use the Hornady solution and I thought it was just citric acid which is in lemons I think. I would suspect that part of the solution isn't an issue but I would assume there could be some lead (potentially although not sure if you're always using jacketed bullets).

Another round. This time I think I may tumble a little.

308 Win, 300 rounds. Deprimed, 45 minutes. US Clean and dried, 2 batches of 150 each, 16 minutes in the bath.
2013-02-21_21-46-12_52.jpg
What the water looks like in the 2nd batch.
2013-02-21_21-57-16_948.jpg

2013-02-21_21-46-12_52.jpg

2013-02-21_21-57-16_948.jpg

What do you do with all the waste water from ultrasonic or stainless tumbling? Isn't it too toxic to dump down the drain?

I use the Hornady solution and I thought it was just citric acid which is in lemons I think. I would suspect that part of the solution isn't an issue but I would assume there could be some lead (potentially although not sure if you're always using jacketed bullets).

Any "toxic" material would most likely be lead but not from the bullet. If you're using a primer that has some lead in it a minuscule amount might remain in the case.

Most Waste Water Discharge Regulations allow for small amounts of things like this to be dumped down the drain. The assumption is that the small amounts will be just about in line with what could come from natural sources.

FWIW, Zinc and Copper in waste water is regulated too. Seriously doubt that anyone other than a commercial processor of brass cases would even come close to exceeding the base limits.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top