JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thoughts on thermal/night vision optics on a rifle? All ideas/concerns/opinions/pros/cons/brands&models/types/etc welcomed, including fun and interesting ideas to try out. No specific area of preconceived philosophies of use for how used...except obviously for game animals and/or looking into the dark.:s0093:

Last Edited:
They are getting more popular with the hog hunting down south that's for sure and getting cheaper there are some good video 's on YouTube using night vision and thermal scope 's and cameras

I looked at them for a while, not for hunting, but more so for fun.
Most people said if your not paying $2k or more their worthless.
But I'm sure there are good ones for $500-$1000 the technology is just becoming cheaper and more common.

Glad you started this thread. I'm looking for a decent NV monocular, but it's hard sorting through all the reviews on various products.

I have a 1st gen "starlight" NVD/scope. It's "OK" and better than nothing, I got what I paid for. I used to use NVG's quite a bit when in Big Green, but that was the "good stuff" and didn't have to pay for any of it.

Thermal imaging is amazing and where it's at these days. You can use them day or night, and the cost continues to drop.

Thermal imaging is amazing and where it's at these days. You can use them day or night, and the cost continues to drop.
We paid $21k for our Flexcam TI about 8yrs ago and it's not even that good in comparison nowdays.

Not to hijack, but my iterest is something small and discrete and doesn't illuminate my mug when I'm using it.

Maybe I've read too many Franklin Horton books lately....paranoia kicking in o_O

As I was reading about the NV stuff, I also read about something called a "night visions lens doubler", not overly expensive, I think under $300.00. Supposed to make NV a little better. I don't know as I have no experience with them, just thought I'd pass it along.

I did a ton of research earlier this year trying to determine which to buy. I was strongly considering a FLIR RS64 (buy once, cry once) as I was more interested in heat signature than NV.

After lots of reading, the general consensus of many so called "experts" was to buy a "good" Thermal Imaging monocle and buy a "great" NV scope. The logic went that you could use the Thermal to scan for heat signatures and once you found one you'd swing up your rifle with your super duper NV scope and bag whatever you were looking at.

There was also a school of thought that you should just buy a multi-mode riflescope that supports both technologies. I think a Google search found one that was available to the public at ~$20k. No thanks.

As a result of all of this crap, the cash is still safe in my account and I have purchased nothing. :)

YMMV

I did a ton of research earlier this year trying to determine which to buy. I was strongly considering a FLIR RS64 (buy once, cry once) as I was more interested in heat signature than NV.

After lots of reading, the general consensus of many so called "experts" was to buy a "good" Thermal Imaging monocle and buy a "great" NV scope. The logic went that you could use the Thermal to scan for heat signatures and once you found one you'd swing up your rifle with your super duper NV scope and bag whatever you were looking at.

There was also a school of thought that you should just buy a multi-mode riflescope that supports both technologies. I think a Google search found one that was available to the public at ~$20k. No thanks.

As a result of all of this crap, the cash is still safe in my account and I have purchased nothing. :)

YMMV

I pretty much came to the same conclusion, saved my money and bought nothing.

Being certified in Thermal/Infared Thermography, I have a theory on defeating TI on the cheap. The idea is to use those cheap mylar reflecting thermal blankets with spray adhesive to the inside of a large poncho. TI reads emitted or reflected energy...energy comes in and then is re-emitted from our bodies into the ether, and that is when TI sees the heat signature. If one can (in an emergency) make an attempt to contain that emitted energy thru reflection, then the signature cannot be clearly understood. Imagine an emergency where one needs to do this, just pull on the poncho, squat down and contain all body parts and other items that may have heated up within the poncho. Obviously heat will escape thru the hood piece and around the base, but that can be controlled to some extent as well.

Or you could just stand behind some glass since TI cannot see thru glass....

Come on guys..... It's only money! Sheesh, whats a credit card for anyway??!:):):)
eotech-gpnvg.jpg
Screamin deal on Opticsplanet............. $42,999.00:eek::confused::oops: No civvie sales anyway! Darn!

Is there enough differentiation between gen 2 and 3 NV to justify cost? I Def. think that there is for 1 to 2 but hesitant jumping one more. (Never used a gen 3)

I did a ton of research .... After lots of reading, the general consensus of many so called "experts" was to buy a "good" Thermal Imaging monocle and buy a "great" NV scope. The logic went that you could use the Thermal to scan for heat signatures and once you found one you'd swing up your rifle with your super duper NV scope and bag whatever you were looking at.

I really like this idea.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads