JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a Stevens 200 in 22-250 and loaded some BRAND NEW Winchester brass with Winchester large rifle primer.
Before I get started with this I have another 22-250 (Howa 1500) and had no issues with it.

Today I loaded 5 cases with RL15 powder 33.8gns, 50gn vmax bullet COL 2.363
and 5 cases with IMR4895 36.5gns, 50gn Speer spitzer, COL 2.342

My first 5 with the RL15 had the circle marks on the case but made no hole in the side.
Next I used the IMR4895 I shot 3 rounds 1st had the mark on the side, the next 2 put a perfect circle hole in the side of the case. All of the rounds were very hard to open the bolt to eject spent case after each shot.

Any Ideas what may be going on? What is causing this?
there are no marks on the cases when shot through my Howa 1500 22-250

20130104_223841_zpse7cff4a7.jpg

Is there a scope mount directly above?????? Looks like a major overpressure into a used or maybe unused scope hole that may have been drilled too deep or in the wrong area.

Edit: Maybe scope mount screw too long.

Sure looks like someone drilled into the chamber. Not to profit off someones misfortune, but if the chamber is damaged and you want to sell it, I would be interested. If you want, the barrels can be swapped at home with some tools and a vice. Easy to do.

Edit: I just saw you bought it new. I'd be calling Savage and sending it back. How could that make through the factory test fire.

I'd send it back to Savage and even request some "compensation" for the destroyed brass. Maybe even some upgrades "on them" for the "scare factor". This could well have had a different outcome than just the holes in the cases.

Take it back to bimart, they should send that back for you, I have been in this biz for many years and have never seen anything like that before!

Any update from the OP? I am really curious as to what's going on and what happened. I've got the same Stevens as you do and love shooting it. It's turned me into a Savage fan for sure, so I am curious as to what happened.

The scope hole theory does not jive. I mean, who in their sane mind would drill a hole to a barrel, let alone a chamber! They go on the drilled on the receiver. Hence, the punched out holes location are wrong for scope base holes.

I am more inclined to believe this is some sort of pressure barrel escapee. I'd remove the stock and look between barrel and bedding.

The scope hole theory does not jive. I mean, who in their sane mind would drill a hole to a barrel, let alone a chamber! They go on the drilled on the receiver. Hence, the punched out holes location are wrong for scope base holes.

I am more inclined to believe this is some sort of pressure barrel escapee. I'd remove the stock and look between barrel and bedding.

I am inclined to agree, my only thought was some bubba tried to do a forward mount for a "Scout" rifle or cantilever. I just check my Stevens and there is no hole in the chamber as to be expected. I do feel I should mention, when I first shot my Stevens, I had a stuck case that appeared to be overpressure. The primer was flat, the case didn't come out on extraction. I sent the ammunition back to Hornady and they checked it. The ammunition was fine, but according to them the chamber on the rifle was tight. I checked the chamber as I was tearing it down before I sent the ammunition back and found dirt in it, which may have caused the over pressure. Hornady sent me two boxes of ammunition for my trouble :D! Regardless I've shot it since then, always clean and haven't had a problem.

Here's a picture of the dirt.

Chamber Dirt.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews