JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Riddle me this...

I was full length sizing some 6.5 Grendel cases when one of them felt different going thru, more resistance. When I pulled it out it had formed a ring on the outside near the case head. It was as if the sizing die wiped brass down the case body as I moved it up into the sizing die. This happened for a total of 5 cases, the rest ran thru fine.

There are some clues to this mystery:
These cases I used to test some different powders, on 5 cases from that test I hit pressure and stopped shooting. 3 of the cases that are now ruined I know are from those 5 because I could see the extractor mark sign of pressure, 2 of the ruined cases Im not certain but the total number adds up to the notes from that day. I suspect, these are all the 5 cases I noted high pressure. Side note: before sizing I hit the pressured case heads gently on a stone to remove the extractor mark and a ejector mark burr but I still know which ones they are.

All these cases are on their 3rd firing, so before sizing I measured their case headspace to compare to 1x and 2x just for my notes. All the cases I measured were either 1.220" or 1.221 with one case 1.219". I measured only 12 sample of 17 cases. I didnt keep track of the ones with the pressure marks but assume some were in there and measured the same, so there wasnt a measurable difference between these when unsized. There wasnt any visual difference either, again the ring formed in the sizing process.

My best guess is the overpressure ruined the cases but how? Has anyone experienced anything like this or know what happened?

Now for the pics. In one pic there is a normally sized case on the right for comparison.
1706247528479.jpeg

1706247549210.jpeg

1706247598618.jpeg

Here is a screenshot close up zoom lens best I can do with my cell phone.

It shows a wiping action to form the ring.
1706248405758.png

It shows a wiping action to form the ring.
I have a theory based on this, the over pressured cases bulged at the case head area. Sizing caught the extra metal and "wiped" it down.
I wish I would have measured the case body dia near the head to compare.

I would agree that these cases likely saw higher pressure that should be heeded. However I would possibly be concerned about my chamber dimensions if it allowed the case to expand large enough where a fl sizing die with proper lube didn't take it back to the proper dimensions. That portion of the case shouldn't get any annealing so maybe it's hardness didn't allow it to shrink back down after firing and caused the situation. I am surprised you didn't stick one in the chamber.

I am surprised you didn't stick one in the chamber.
The last one did. Thats where I stopped.
I thought about the chamber support but dint think thats an issue here as chambers should have a slight taper, but will dble check saami specs later.
The case came out easy by hand cycling.

Also interested to understand what caused this. The oversized chamber theory seems plausible, but wouldn't all the brass be impacted, even those rounds that were not "over pressure"?
Thats my thought and no, no other brass has had issues.
I dont think the chamber is out of spec.
And i definitely pushed the pressure limit on this last test and should have stopped sooner but they were the last 5 rounds in the test.

Also interested to understand what caused this. The oversized chamber theory seems plausible, but wouldn't all the brass be impacted, even those rounds that were not "over pressure"?
That is a good point but maybe some brass was less elastic and thus held on to the chamber dimensions. Not saying this is it but spitballing here. What lube do you use Koda?

Of course my proposed theory of less elastic brass flies in the face of why the die was able to gather that material up and ball it up to form a nicely belted cartridge. This is certainly an odd one.

What lube do you use Koda?
Isnt that kinda personal question...?

Lol, kidding.

Hornady one shot.
But thinking about it i spray them in a case tray so the very bottom of the cases dont get coverage.
That may be a big part of why the die grabbed the expanded brass there.
(Ive never had any issues with stuck cases, couple hundred handloads now thru this rifle. )

My guess is that the higher pressures work hardened the brass making it less mallable. I would expect to see your other brass as you continue to fire them eventually start to resemble this behavior.

Yeah, sorry for prying😊. I used to use one shot quite a lot and was a big proponent. However, between the breathing of the aerosol and inconsistent case forming results, I switched to the homemade lanolin/ 99% isopropyl concoction. Forming force and case dimension consistency have improved vastly, not to mention no more ingesting the aerosol. It is also much cheaper. Try it you might like it.

Forming force and case dimension consistency have improved vastly, not to mention no more ingesting the aerosol. It is also much cheaper. Try it you might like it.
I haven't had any issues using Oneshot and dont think its the true culprit here, but i have considered making my own spray on case lube.

I wish i would have known to measure the case body diameter near the case head. Im guessing that would have told me these cases were toast...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top