JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regardless, you must understand the point I'm making - that we are fully aware of the advantages of 5.56 weapons, but seemingly act dumb if someone points to those same characteristics as a societal negative.

The real answer is not that AR15s aren't dangerous weapons. They are. Let's stop acting like they are being mischaracterized and acknowledge that mass shootings are the downside to a necessarily armed populace.
I disagree....I think that AR15 's aren't dangerous weapons.
I also think that AR15's are mischaracterized.

Mostly though...
I was pointing out the irony of you...going on about "they" not being all encompassing....
And then using a all encompassing statement in your post.
Andy

Now your making up new definitions. What are "largest mass shootings"?
Nevermind.... I dont have time to go down another rabbit hole.

Mass shootings are currently defined as 4 or more. The type of gun does not matter....

Yes, crimes should be classified by the motive of the criminal. Its probably good to track those motives.
We already discussed what size and type of mass shootings are of national interest and which ones are not. Are you playing dumb about what people get upset about and what they are willing to ignore?

I disagree....I think that AR15 's aren't dangerous weapons.
I also think that AR15's are mischaracterized.

Mostly though...
I was pointing out the irony of you...going on about "they" not being all encompassing....
And then using a all encompassing statement in your post.
Andy
There is no irony in my characterization of the general trends in a community that sees itself as a community and that I count myself a part of. I can point to a thousand articles and tens of thousands of threads that point to the efficacy of 5.56 weapons for defense. Congressmen are wearing AR15 pins.

That is entirely different than pointing at an external group, defining them and then saying they all have a particular belief.

agree. Were not properly addressing the motives like mental health and keeping violent offenders locked up.
I would challenge you to show that the majority of mass shootings were preventable through mental health actions or longer sentences.

But it sounds like you would support red flag laws, since that would be a way to translate a concern about mental health into actions that are swift enough to matter. Do you?

You guys are wasting your breath arguing with this guy. You should know by now that he's the type of guy who's never wrong under any circumstances. Like wrestling in the mud with the proverbial pig...

There is no irony in my characterization of the general trends in a community that sees itself as a community and that I count myself a part of. I can point to a thousand articles and tens of thousands of threads that point to the efficacy of 5.56 weapons for defense. Congressmen are wearing AR15 pins.

That is entirely different than pointing at an external group, defining them and then saying they all have a particular belief.
Again I disagree with you.

You went on and on about how "They" doesn't cover or account for everyone who is anti gun...
Then you posted a broad brush / blanket statement that said :
When pro-gun people suggest a home defense weapon, they stress the terminal ballistics, ease of control and capacity of the AR15.

When anti-gun people suggest a gun to ban because of its involvement in mass shootings, they stress the terminal ballistics, ease of control and capacity of the AR15.
"When pro-gun people.."..that phrasing implies all pro-gun people...
Just as "When anti-gun people.." implies all anti-gun people.

Again...I was pointing out the irony of you using a blanket statement...after going about how they ( oh that word ) don't cover or account for everyone or everything.

And to be up front here...
No firearm is dangerous....how it is used may be...but the firearm itself ain't dangerous.
Andy

I would challenge you to show that the majority of mass shootings were preventable through mental health actions or longer sentences.

But it sounds like you would support red flag laws, since that would be a way to translate a concern about mental health into actions that are swift enough to matter. Do you?
Isnt it clear that anyone who would commit a mass shooting has mental health issues? Why cant we prohibit people who are adjudicated with violent mental health issues from owning guns? Why do we keep letting violent offenders out of jail?

I dont support red flag laws without a conviction.

You guys are wasting your breath arguing with this guy. You should know by now that he's the type of guy who's never wrong under any circumstances. Like wrestling in the mud with the proverbial pig...
So very true...
I will now retire from the field of honor and avoid further tilting at windmills..
And go back to my cup of coffee , with my integrity intact....:D
Andy

Again I disagree with you.

You went on and on about how "They" doesn't cover or account for everyone who is anti gun...
Then you posted a broad brush / blanket statement that said :

"When pro-gun people.."..that phrasing implies all pro-gun people...
Just as "When anti-gun people.." implies all anti-gun people.

Again...I was pointing out the irony of you using a blanket statement...after going about how they ( oh that word ) don't cover or account for everyone or everything.

And to be up front here...
No firearm is dangerous....how it is used may be...but the firearm itself ain't dangerous.
Andy
My statements were made as a general contrast to highlight an ironic situation, not an attempt to create a hard rule about ALL people in either category. Had I thought it was going to be necessary, I would have inserted words like "some, many, or most". But I assumed that the point I was making about the characteristics of guns wouldn't be dissected for other reasons.

Please re-read my statements with "many" inserted. I will edit my post for clarity.

Isnt it clear that anyone who would commit a mass shooting has mental health issues? Why cant we prohibit people who are adjudicated with violent mental health issues from owning guns? Why do we keep letting violent offenders out of jail?

I dont support red flag laws without a conviction.
No, it is clear AFTER someone kills a bunch of people that they are nuts. Show me how you do it in the other direction.

We do prohibit adjudicated violent mental health cases from owning guns. What mass shootings happened after such an adjudication?

Are most mass shootings the work of violent offenders? Are really any of them? Most of them are committed by people with no adjudications of any kind.

So you want mental health to somehow predict who could conceivably commit mass murder, but you want this to happen with no screening methods of any kind? How would that work?

No, it is clear AFTER someone kills a bunch of people that they are nuts. Show me how you do it in the other direction.

We do prohibit adjudicated violent mental health cases from owning guns. What mass shootings happened after such an adjudication?

Are most mass shootings the work of violent offenders? Are really any of them? Most of them are committed by people with no adjudications of any kind.

So you want mental health to somehow predict who could conceivably commit mass murder, but you want this to happen with no screening methods of any kind? How would that work?
Im not certain of any way to do it the other direction. Im not certain its possible....
But we do continually let convicted violent offenders free. Thats an issue that can be addressed that would make a huge difference.

Im not certain of any way to do it the other direction. Im not certain its possible....
But we do continually let convicted violent offenders free. Thats an issue that can be addressed that would make a huge difference.
Then I don't understand. You said of preventing mass shootings:
We're not properly addressing the motives like mental health
Since you said that mass shootings are preventable, and then said addressing mental health is a way to do it, why are you now saying it might not be possible? That sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

One of the reasons, among many reasons, the government hates old people is because old people can remember and tell younger people what government has done.

My first remembering of gun controls was during the sixties. A lot going on with the murder of politicians and riots over the Vietnam war. AR 15 was first sold to public in 1963, at the time the 30 caliber carbine was far more popular and there were millions of surplus carbines and ammo.

Withe the murder of politicians the big anti gun fever was to ban handguns. Saturday night specials that poor people bought for defense was the target of gun grabbers and they managed to ban the import of some really nice guns. There is a long story how it all played out but I don't feel like telling it today.

I guess my point should be that the AR 15 has been America's defensive choice for 60 years, those who want it banned ain't American.

The AR is profitable enough that manufactures are able to grow or even just stay in business by producing them, so taking the AR out of production would bankrupt many / most firearms manufactures regardless if the AR is their primary product.

Not a bad theory
This makes a lot of sense to me. I don't remember the exact figures, but when the Clinton "assault weapon" ban ended in 2004, there were something like 25 companies making AR15-type weapons. By 2021, there were something like 500 plus firms making them. This was in answer to the explosion in demand for the guns after a 20 year famine and it fed on itself. More people wanted them, more companies stepped in to supply them. Next thing you know every third house on the block has one. But a lot of money was made at all levels. This being a big part of firearm commerce, it's a big limb for the anti-gun people to saw off the tree.

begging for likes
You leave likes?

the AR 15 is just one rung on their ladder.
But it's a big one.

There aren't a lot of handgun mass shootings where 20 people died. Most have involved semi-auto rifles, and most of those were AR15s. That fact is certainly a reason that some people are going to be biased against AR15s.
This is what makes the AR such a focal point for the public and politicians. Many people are shot by gangs using pistols all the time; all those single events don't carry the same weight in the mind of the public as a mass shooting. And don't get the media coverage. Back when the 1968 GCA was passed, handguns were the focus. Which has shifted with the preponderance of AR's in private ownership.

I guess my point should be that the AR 15 has been America's defensive choice for 60 years, those who want it banned ain't American.
I don't think many cared for the AR15 prior to Bush banning foreign military style weapons in 1989. Calling them jamomatics and referencing Vietnam. It wasn't until choices started drying up that the AR started getting taken seriously by lots of people. And then the 94 crime bill encouraged folks to innovate the design. And then the government dumped tons of them onto the police, and that made them look like a good idea, too. Then two Gulf Wars.

Had things gone differently, we'd probably still be focused on M14s, HKs and AUGs.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top