JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So-called "assault weapons" proliferated DURING the Ban... minor and reversible changes were made to production and imported weapons to get around or under The Ban. I still have one AR-15 which was mounted with a "recoil suppressor" based on a Russian design for the AK-74, INSTEAD of the standard AR-15 style flash suppressor. It s*cked in that it sent the muzzle-blast sideways and backwards toward the shooter and anyone standing next to him. Other changes were made as well, such as stock design incorporating the pistol grip and butt-stock into one piece not easily replaced. We can figure that the Grabbers know this and will reflect this in any up-coming legislation.
This is where the term "Pre-ban" comes from. During the ban, ARs were made without threaded barrels, flash hiders, bayonet lugs and I forget what else. For a decade, anything made before 1994 was called pre-ban and probably had all of those features. Guns made after '94, with features missing, were called post-ban. After '04, it became less of a thing, except in states that had their own AWB.

This is where the term "Pre-ban" comes from. During the ban, ARs were made without threaded barrels, flash hiders, bayonet lugs and I forget what else. For a decade, anything made before 1994 was called pre-ban and probably had all of those features. Guns made after '94, with features missing, were called post-ban. After '04, it became less of a thing, except in states that had their own AWB.
I still have some "For Law Enforcement Only" engraved mags around here somewhere. They're probably collectors items now.

Collapsible stocks were on the naughty list as well.

It was worded that you could have X number (2 I believe) of uber-deadly features on a semi-auto rifle. Most chose to keep the pistol grip and detachable mag.

They've been trying so hard to get a 2nd AWB to pass both Houses to be signed into law since the first one sunsetted... as opposed to creating a new NFA category (something they're apparently trying now?)
I don't know how "hard" they've been trying. Both chambers and the presidency have been in Democrat hands multiple times since then without anything coming out of committee.

I don't know how "hard" they've been trying. Both chambers and the presidency have been in Democrat hands multiple times since then without anything coming out of committee.
Since 2004. Only 19 years. 4 Presidents (GW Bush, Obama, Trump, and Biden). Doesn't matter if "never comes out of committee". What matters is that they've been introducing an awb 2.0 every time they can.... only time actually got out of committee... last fall, House of Representatives passed HR1808.

Since 2004 1989 Only 19 years. 4 Presidents (GW Bush, Obama, Trump, and Biden). Doesn't matter if "never comes out of committee". What matters is that they've been introducing an awb 2.0 every time they can.... only time actually got out of committee... last fall, House of Representatives passed HR1808.
FIFY ;)

One of the underlying reasons why I am against bans , restrictions and so called "compromises" is....
There is always just one more thing or law or ban or restriction waiting to be forced upon gun owners.
Andy

Peter Falk Detective GIF by PeacockTV

Last Edited:
So-called "assault weapons" proliferated DURING the Ban.
Yes, you're quite right. For those in the know, work-around designs became available, which made it more of a joke. But I think the publicity around the ending of the ban really opened the flood gates.

I have one of the Colts made during The Ban, looking back on serial number ranges, they didn't make/sell all that many of them. And of course, many of "those in the know" didn't want the Ban versions. I like the Target Model that I have, no suppressor, which I don't need. The bare muzzle looks much cleaner.

Yes, you're quite right. For those in the know, work-around designs became available, which made it more of a joke. But I think the publicity around the ending of the ban really opened the flood gates.

I have one of the Colts made during The Ban, looking back on serial number ranges, they didn't make/sell all that many of them. And of course, many of "those in the know" didn't want the Ban versions. I like the Target Model that I have, no suppressor, which I don't need. The bare muzzle looks much cleaner.
The Colt 20" Match Target HBAR A2 is what I cut my teeth on back then in CMP matches. Still kind of wish I had that rifle. It taught me marksmanship.

Ignore the LBV/MOLLE hybrid, this 16" M4gery with the Ace Skeletal stock might have been all you could get during the last years of the AWB.. ;) I distinctly remember being able to get bayonet lug Front sight bases and 30rd magazines in the free/non-ban States. 20230326_093540.jpg

The Colt 20" Match Target HBAR A2 is what I cut my teeth on back then in CMP matches.
What I have is called a Match Target, stamped on second line, Target Model. The Colt model number is MT6551. CST serial number prefix, I believe made around 1997. It does not have the HBAR, that would be model number MT6601 with a ser. no. prefix of CMH. I think.

1-7 barrel. Factory stock, no mods. In the close to 20 years since The Ban was lifted, I suspect that many of these rifles have been subjected to modifications.

The one thing I've thought about changing but never got around to is the hinge pivot pin. Which isn't a quick change, knock-out type. It's a pin with a threaded keeper screw on one end.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top