JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fiddling with a knife, for God's sake when an assault is being made upon your life or the life of a loved one!?! I already know what to do and it is not pretty. If you can articulate fear for your life to the point of stabbing an assailant, the line has been crossed. Use of a knife isn't well thought of in judicial circles- it's kind of "unAmerican". Concealed carry laws are focused on handguns, not knives. If you are close enuff to knife someone, you're are close enuff for HIM to do YOU in as well. Not legal advice, dunno the laws in your jurisdiction(s) but I know the laws in mine. Using a knife IS lethal force in the eyes of the law so you might as well use an effective weapon to protect yourself. It's a sorry world we live in....
But what if it's a hollow point knife?

If a person is being attacked by a CRAZY CRIMINAL WITH FULL INTENT OF DOING YOU HARM AS IN WANTING TO KILL YOU while he goes on a RAMPAGE to one or more people in a SERIES OF EVENTS or in a SINGLE ATTACK and all that person aka VICTIM has on him is a pocket or fixed blade knife - the VICTIM HAS THE RIGHT TO DEFEND HIMSELF or his kid or his group of people.

How the H is that NOT being a good American?

WHAT makes a GUN American and a KNIFE unAmerican?

Did I misunderstand something?!

MANY people do not carry handguns - open or concealed, many people do NOT own guns but they own and use knives on a REGULAR basis and/or they no longer carry handguns. It depends on the person.

I am NOT anti GUN and I am NOT anti KNIFE! I am for people being able to defend themselves if need be and for the RKBA - Second Amendment.

What are you going to say to the criminal if you are being attacked or see the attack coming at YOU or your KID since other people ALREADY were attacked on the same day and in a SERIES OF EVENTS made by some perp?

"OH, I am sorry that I can't DEFEND MYSELF or my KID because all I have is a LOWLY or simple pocket or fixed blade knife on me now! I do not carry or own a gun but I do have a simple Buck #110 or whatever knife on me BUT I can't use that now, can I?!"

Geeze Louise!

Specific KNIVES are considered LEGAL in my state as WEAPONS - same as a GUN - there are specific rules on specific knives for CONCEALED CARRY in my state. So IF a person chooses to carry a specific type of KNIFE instead of a GUN and he wants to conceal carry it depending on it's BLADE LENGTH - HE MUST HAVE A PERMIT FOR IT.

OTHER specific knives in my state are LEGAL and considered FINE for OPEN CARRY and for CONCEALED CARRY depending on the BLADE LENGTH and type of knife.

WE have open and conceal carry laws for ALL kinds of weapons meaning guns and knives and whatever. WITHIN CITY LIMTS and OUTSIDE OF CITY LIMITS. Plus other rules. I am speaking about MY state now - where I live now in MT. MY former state was different. TOO much to type there now. LOL

I sure as H would use something as those VICTIMS did to STOP THE ATTACKER and if I had NO gun, NO knife, NO cane, etc. - I would pick up anything or try to fight off the bad guy IF I was all alone or in a GROUP of people. Hopefully the OTHER PEOPLE would HELP THE VICTIM or victims being attacked.

I applaud the people who STOPPED this crazy criminal in a SELF DEFENSE SITUATION and I most certainly do NOT condemn them or call their knife used as UnAmerican.

Maybe, I misunderstood you, Dan. If I did - please excuse me. Thank you. I am NOT trying to be rude to you or any person here.

You and other people HERE and elsewhere who OWN GUNS MUST REALIZE that many people DO NOT CARRY A GUN ON THEM and many people DO NOT OWN GUNS too.

WE do not live in their world and they do not live in our world too. ALL of us our different.

MANY PEOPLE IN SOME STATES CAN ONLY CARRY X, Y OR Z FOR A UTILITY TOOL OR FOR KNIFE TOO.

Cate

Last Edited:
Fiddling with a knife, for God's sake when an assault is being made upon your life or the life of a loved one!?! I already know what to do and it is not pretty. If you can articulate fear for your life to the point of stabbing an assailant, the line has been crossed. Use of a knife isn't well thought of in judicial circles- it's kind of "unAmerican". Concealed carry laws are focused on handguns, not knives. If you are close enuff to knife someone, you're are close enuff for HIM to do YOU in as well. Not legal advice, dunno the laws in your jurisdiction(s) but I know the laws in mine. Using a knife IS lethal force in the eyes of the law so you might as well use an effective weapon to protect yourself. It's a sorry world we live in....

I just answered above.

CONCEALED CARRY and open carry laws ARE focused on GUNS, ON KNIVES and FOR SOME OTHER WEAPONS in my STATE OF MONTANA and in MANY OTHER STATES.

NOT all people CARRY or EVEN OWN GUNS so they use what they have ON them if need be.

I APPLAUD THOSE PEOPLE WHO STOPPED THE BAD MAN! They saved some LIVES and helped people aka VICTIMS!

KNIVES are NO more unAmerican than GUNS or pitchforks or any other TOOL or object in my opinion.

Thank you.

Cate

I just answered above.

CONCEALED CARRY and open carry laws ARE focused on GUNS, ON KNIVES and FOR SOME OTHER WEAPONS in my STATE OF MONTANA and in MANY OTHER STATES.

NOT all people CARRY or EVEN OWN GUNS so they use what they have ON them if need be.

I APPLAUD THOSE PEOPLE WHO STOPPED THE BAD MAN! They saved some LIVES and helped people aka VICTIMS!

KNIVES are NO more unAmerican than GUNS or pitchforks or any other TOOL or object in my opinion.

Thank you.

Cate
Um, yeah. You have the right to your own opinions. I simply stated some facts, including some issues with using a knife. How it's looked at by the DA or the courts depends of the jurisdiction you live in. I would have no compunction about using a bladed weapon to defend myself if that was all I had.. Another point, you had better know how to use an edged weapon or your butt might be handed to ya.. I have disarmed knife-wielders, and Im sure criminals can do the same.
FWIW I am partial to bowies...

Um, yeah. You have the right to your own opinions. I simply stated some facts, including some issues with using a knife. How it's looked at by the DA or the courts depends of the jurisdiction you live in. I would have no compunction about using a bladed weapon to defend myself if that was all I had.. Another point, you had better know how to use an edged weapon or your butt might be handed to ya.. I have disarmed knife-wielders, and Im sure criminals can do the same.
FWIW I am partial to bowies...

Okay... thank you for your opinion.

Just remember that NOT all people carry GUNS on them and NOT all people OWN guns too. So they DO what they have to do.

NOT every single person in this state or in other states own or carry guns.

But many GUN people don't understand that. I am NOT talking about YOU now when I say this

Yes, I am aware of the law. And it is NO different when it comes to using a GUN or using a KNIFE in this state for self defense.

So you either shoot to STOP or stab to stop the bad guy. Or you fight with your fists to stop the bad guy, run away quickly IF you can or ROLL OVER and die and take it like a VICTIM.

Cate

I pretty much agree with DunRanull above.
Unfortunately reason is not part of the legal process, so the Shyster Brigade can make using a knife for SD look bad. Also, knife wounds (if you did it right) are likely to look real ugly in the photos (those that don't are discarded), since the object of slashing is nerve damage &/or exsanguination, and a stab to the viscera followed by vigorous application of force to the handle also produces spectacularly nasty looking results. The average juror knows less than nothing about it (i.e. knows a lot that isn't true), so it's easy for the persecuting shyster to make you look like a vicious psychopath. Remember, in voire dire they try to choose the dimmest of bulbs for the jury - people who are easily convinced.
I use my EDC knife at least a dozen times a day for peaceful stuff like eating, opening the mail, etc. It would be a weapon only if it's all I could reach at that moment. OTOH, my EDC pistol doesn't work at all for cutting a pork chop or opening a package. (I suppose I could get a Glock and attach a bayonet - a 19 shot Elgin Cutlass Pistol. Have to be real careful to keep finger away from trigger while eating with it.) My table knife is a SOG Aura Camp - great blade for the gustatory application and SD if I'm ever attacked while dining. I don't actually use my carry pistol every day (thank God) but it's there if I need it.
It's a matter of the right tool for the job.
Catherine being a mature lady is less easy to pin as an aggressor than any male over 12.
I may not be a lean mean fighting machine, but I'm not a victim.

ADDENDUM: I just saw this. It applies to this thread and contains some great information.

Last Edited:
What else is new? At least you'd be alive.

You got that right! Thank you.

And SOME of them, not all of them, would do the same thing if a GUN was used in a self defense situation too!

Some authority figures continue to FAVOR the criminals and do not give a HOOT about the victims.

Cate

Actually, I think we agree on the salient points.
Having to respond to a truly dangerous attack with a weapon sucks, period.
Anything you do will be scrutinized, criticized, and thrown in your face by hostile .gov/DNC empowered shysters.
A gun is usually a better choice for SD than a knife or baton (illegal in many areas).
Using a knife for SD opens a can of worms that doesn't favor the defendant.
The best response is to GFOD if that's possible, and if it's not do what you have to.
,gov and the Legal Industry don't give a rat's azz about you or your loved ones. Only you do.
Better tried by 12 than carried by 6.

BTW, if it were practicable I would go armed like Josey Wales - 3 or 4 pistols on my person, a slung long gun as appropriate (carbine or shottie), and a couple of fighting/utility blades.
Even if that were legal, I don't think my back could stand packing that much weight.

I pretty much agree with DunRanull above.
Unfortunately reason is not part of the legal process, so the Shyster Brigade can make using a knife for SD look bad. Also, knife wounds (if you did it right) are likely to look real ugly in the photos (those that don't are discarded), since the object of slashing is nerve damage &/or exsanguination, and a stab to the viscera followed by vigorous application of force to the handle also produces spectacularly nasty looking results. The average juror knows less than nothing about it (i.e. knows a lot that isn't true), so it's easy for the persecuting shyster to make you look like a vicious psychopath. Remember, in voire dire they try to choose the dimmest of bulbs for the jury - people who are easily convinced.
I use my EDC knife at least a dozen times a day for peaceful stuff like eating, opening the mail, etc. It would be a weapon only if it's all I could reach at that moment. OTOH, my EDC pistol doesn't work at all for cutting a pork chop or opening a package. (I suppose I could get a Glock and attach a bayonet - a 19 shot Elgin Cutlass Pistol. Have to be real careful to keep finger away from trigger while eating with it.) My table knife is a SOG Aura Camp - great blade for the gustatory application and SD if I'm ever attacked while dining. I don't actually use my carry pistol every day (thank God) but it's there if I need it.
It's a matter of the right tool for the job.
Catherine being a mature lady is less easy to pin as an aggressor than any male over 12.
I may not be a lean mean fighting machine, but I'm not a victim.

ADDENDUM: I just saw this. It applies to this thread and contains some great information.

Yes, there is a lot of truth to that. No matter what you use though you will have to articulate clearly why you felt your life was threatened enough to use what ever level of force you used to get the job done and why it was unavoidable. That said it's not something that is first and foremost in someones mind at the moment something goes down. My only point in this thread was that if you choose to carry anything that you may feel is an option for personal SD then train with it. Stab or slash at someone to keep them off as in the Montana hiking scenario posted previously is a lot easier to justify then the same scenario and you stab the guy 25+ times...unless he was continueing to attack.

As far as your link I agree with many things Marc says and as someone who has trained in multiple weapons based systems over the years I've seen a lot of that first hand. That's one of the reasons it's a peeve of mine, again as I stated earlier, there is just so much BS out there in blade training circles.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top