JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hear you. But it won't really end it. Originally, these were used to ultimately stick a blade through a chink in an opponents armor on the battlefield.
True. There are many techniques you would have to apply differently, or follow up with a non Aikido move like a strike and that could go wrong if you dont practice that way. There are also some techniques that would never be used or seen on the streets that are practiced for traditional reasons, like empy hand Shomenuchi. Thats why I wanted to clarify why Aikido is not easy to learn in regards to this subject. If your in it for life then its useful, if you just want to learn some self defense skills take something else.

True. There are many techniques you would have to apply differently, or follow up with a non Aikido move like a strike and that could go wrong if you dont practice that way. There are also some techniques that would never be used or seen on the streets that are practiced for traditional reasons, like empy hand Shomenuchi. Thats why I wanted to clarify why Aikido is not easy to learn in regards to this subject. If your in it for life then its useful, if you just want to learn some self defense skills take something else.
I hear you.

Encourage your kids to take wrestling in school or boys club and get them boxing as well. Could be a useful later in life. Or get them into self defense classes w you if possible.

That's the thing about traditional Aikido. I think in actual "practice", damaging things should be done to one's attacker once he's been "thrown" or controlled.
If one trains that way and or has that mindset I think it's a dandy skillset.

This!!!

I don't know that much Akido, just a few controls and throws practiced until they were deeply buried and instinctual! A long time ago I married the Akido to my own "damaging things!" :)

Last Edited:
I'm open to sparing and helping each other out, if anyone is interested. By sparing I mean I have a good head on my shoulders and expect the same level headed behavior.

Thought I would throw that out there if any of you guys in the valley are interested. Figured it would be a good reason to get out of the house, do some training, and make new friends. Any boxing/kickboxing/jui jitsu guys are totally welcome to say hi. I'm totally open to stuff I know nothing about being used on me.

I'm open to sparing and helping each other out, if anyone is interested. By sparing I mean I have a good head on my shoulders and expect the same level headed behavior.

Thought I would throw that out there if any of you guys in the valley are interested. Figured it would be a good reason to get out of the house, do some training, and make new friends. Any boxing/kickboxing/jui jitsu guys are totally welcome to say hi. I'm totally open to stuff I know nothing about being used on me.

Wish you were closer:rolleyes:

We need a good fight club up here.;)

I used to work in Portland, too. I think it would be great for members to have a workout, spar, roll together.

A place to do it would be the hardest part - probably would be best to have mats at the least to protect from hitting heads on hardwood floors or concrete. MMA gloves would also be a good requirement to keep people from getting too hurt. (And mouth guards)

Otherwise I'm sure plenty of guys on here would like the practice of a real fight... Dojo's only spar which isn't quite the same imo.

Remember your primary defense weapon is what is in your hand. I have years of training and it has caused my body damage. At some time we learn to not fight and to heal. Comes with age. I still train every day and the truth is that a younger, stronger person could "take me". But my intent and my skills will never let that happen. that's why I carry a small neck knife to sever the arm that's holding my neck or sever an artery. I also carry pepper spray for the "get the attention" and then stop the process of yelling by a good thrust kick to the abdomen. Eye strikes are the best. I told my instructor once, "If you have to go to the ground; Your a bad shot!

A place to do it would be the hardest part - probably would be best to have mats at the least to protect from hitting heads on hardwood floors or concrete. MMA gloves would also be a good requirement to keep people from getting too hurt. (And mouth guards)

Otherwise I'm sure plenty of guys on here would like the practice of a real fight... Dojo's only spar which isn't quite the same imo.
Agreed. I have my own gear. Just don't have a mat. It's been hard for me to find friends that would enjoy it.

Remember your primary defense weapon is what is in your hand. I have years of training and it has caused my body damage. At some time we learn to not fight and to heal. Comes with age. I still train every day and the truth is that a younger, stronger person could "take me". But my intent and my skills will never let that happen. that's why I carry a small neck knife to sever the arm that's holding my neck or sever an artery. I also carry pepper spray for the "get the attention" and then stop the process of yelling by a good thrust kick to the abdomen. Eye strikes are the best. I told my instructor once, "If you have to go to the ground; Your a bad shot!

Good words of wisdom.

I'm 35 and I'm getting wiser. I think what matters is a person's ability to suppress their anger. I have had a few conversations with fellow gun guys about not wanting to learn any hand to hand solutions. I get a lot of "I'll always have a gun". My response never changes. You can never know when you won't or when a bad guy will be between you and your nearest loaded gun. Like many of you I view a gun as a tool. I also view our own physical abilities and skills as a tool. Nothing more. Don't sell yourself short because of age and high mileage. Lol. I have rolled with guys much older than myself and some not nearly as flexible obviously. Those guys could still probably hand me my a@# if I'm not careful. I remember one older guy had the meanest rear naked coke I ever felt. Maybe just as nasty as one this tiny Asian women had.

Last Edited:
I'll just say this from years ago, you will never win a fair fight so plan accordingly.
Things one should consider carrying nowadays (at a minimum) are a good fixed blade boot knife (concealed of course), an ASP and your CC weapon with extra magazines. Learn to get mean when you fight and for God sake, learn to take an azz whooping cause you will not win them all.

I'll just say this from years ago, you will never win a fair fight so plan accordingly.
Things one should consider carrying nowadays (at a minimum) are a good fixed blade boot knife (concealed of course), an ASP and your CC weapon with extra magazines. Learn to get mean when you fight and for God sake, learn to take an azz whooping cause you will not win them all.

With a name like caveman Jim, I don't think many folks will mess with ya. ;)

I cannot lie, I do scare people.... Ughhh.;)
Be nice until it is time NOT to be nice is my moto.
I try to be invisible and nice.
But today, I wore my swank azz Christmas sweater while taking out the garbage and, swear to God, some door knocker yelled over to me something about my sweater. Upon us getting close (giggity), and having him repeat what he said a couple times, I determined he meant his yelling in a good way.
dang it, and I like this sweater.. maybe I should dye it
anyway

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews