JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No worries.....the Dems will probably introduce legislation next year to ban knives (pointy sticks, sharp edged paper, etc....). YOU KNOW they're doing it for the KIDS!:eek:

Aloha, Mark

If you close enough to get stabbed, you screwed up in the first place! Surviving means your going to get cut, probably bad, but LEARN how to defend your self, blocking a strike to the vitals and get as much space between you and them as possable! You have a much better chance of surviving a slash then a stab, and I HOPE your carrying so you can properly defend your self!

Nothing says 'this is a Satan Worshiper's house' more than an Iron Maiden poster on the wall..............

Capture.PNG

Ray

Marty Hayes showed this in an Intermediate level class @ FAS. Apparently you can refer to it as contributing to mindset regarding lethality if you ever have to defend against an attack with a bladed weapon.
I took Escrima lessons for a little while in the early 2000s and the training video by Mike Inay convinced me that a knife is as dangerous as a gun if the attacker can make contact - Tueller distance of about 18-21'. I would never regard a knife as a trivial threat.

One , two ! One , two ! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack !
He left it dead and with its head

He went galumphing back....:D

Andy
"If it doesn't move, paint it. If it has a switch blade knife, salute it."
-what you would hear from 1st Sgt at Friday C.O.B formation. :p

Marty Hayes showed this in an Intermediate level class @ FAS. Apparently you can refer to it as contributing to mindset regarding lethality if you ever have to defend against an attack with a bladed weapon.
I took Escrima lessons for a little while in the early 2000s and the training video by Mike Inay convinced me that a knife is as dangerous as a gun if the attacker can make contact - Tueller distance of about 18-21'. I would never regard a knife as a trivial threat.

True, and even within edged weapon training circles there are many that don't take the blade as seriously as they should. It's one of my peeves.

On the continuum of force, it is second only to the pistol, shotgun, and rifle!!!

And it never runs out of bullets or jams at inopportune moments.
I would have to be sorely afeared to use a knife as a weapon, but if I had to it would be a lot more effective than bare hands and teeth.

I am armed with a Ruger SR9c, a fixed blade belt knife, and pepper spray. My first job is to be aware of my surroundings and what is happening with people in my general vicinity. If there is a problem, I want to keep the problem at a distance, if possible. But we have to realize there is a time for deadly force and a time that doesn't justify it... the force applied needs to be able to be justified.

1. A big guy coming at me, or an unarmed robber - pepper spray is certainly justified.
2. Someone armed with a bat, a pipe, etc, and the pepper spray doesn't stop them from getting too close - the next step in escalation of force is a knife... for me a slashing knife. I certainly would be justified to disable the arms and cutting a hamstring or quad to limit the attacker's mobility. This stops short of deadly force even tho in some cases deadly force might be justified on an attacker armed with a bat or pipe.
3. A person armed with a knife or a gun is obviously a case that would justify use of my EDC handgun.

That's my thinking on knife defense.

You might find that a knife is considered deadly force regardless of poke or slash.
Fixed blade knives can present legal issues regarding whether OK to carry. I have several fixed blade knives I would like to carry, but refrain because I don't know the legal status. If the pepper spray hasn't stopped an assailant armed with a bludgeon do you have time to try "intermediate" on the force continuum before he is upon you?
A cane seems like a pretty good intermediate level instrument for SD, particularly if you have a prescription.

You might find that a knife is considered deadly force regardless of poke or slash.
Fixed blade knives can present legal issues regarding whether OK to carry. I have several fixed blade knives I would like to carry, but refrain because I don't know the legal status. If the pepper spray hasn't stopped an assailant armed with a bludgeon do you have time to try "intermediate" on the force continuum before he is upon you?
A cane seems like a pretty good intermediate level instrument for SD, particularly if you have a prescription.

Not sure how slashing an arm or leg to disarm/disable is deadly force (has to do with intent, if we are that worried about DA's and judges, we should stay home or not fight back when accosted/ attacked). If used to attack someone as a criminal act, sure... but in self defense against an armed attacker? ... You have a link to a legal opinion?

Yes, we discussed carrying a fixed blade knife in another thread... my outlook hasn't changed. Everybody can make their own choice.

I'm not skilled enough, fast enough, or mean enough to successfully use a cane, or even an ASP baton, against an attacker armed with a bat or a pipe. I'm 67yrs old and suffering from many physical limitations. I MIGHT be able to use one against a Shih Tzu or a 99yr old lady. :( But if that works for you, happy days! :D:D

To each his own. That's my strategy and I'm sticking to it!!! :D

Not sure how slashing an arm or leg to disarm/disable is deadly force (has to do with intent, if we are that worried about DA's and judges, we should stay home or not fight back when accosted/ attacked). If used to attack someone as a criminal act, sure... but in self defense against an armed attacker? ... You have a link to a legal opinion?

Yes, we discussed carrying a fixed blade knife in another thread... my outlook hasn't changed. Everybody can make their own choice.

I'm not skilled enough, fast enough, or mean enough to successfully use a cane, or even an ASP baton, against an attacker armed with a bat or a pipe. I'm 67yrs old and suffering from many physical limitations. I MIGHT be able to use one against a Shih Tzu or a 99yr old lady. :( But if that works for you, happy days! :D:D

To each his own. That's my strategy and I'm sticking to it!!! :D

Holy Bovine brother, I did not know you were that old. You were indeed at the last rendezvous. Of course this coming from an old Jar Head who will be 62 in September ... Well, in that case, never mind the age thing.

I must admit I carry a folder even though fixed blade is a boat load stronger and do not carry OC/Mace. After carrying the stuff for over twenty years every day at work I have seen it not work far too often. But hey, it always seems to work on the good guys really well.

Hope things are good up your way. We make it through this Covid thing be good to finally meet you Mk1 eyeball to Mk1 (except mine are actually Mk1 Mod1) eyeballs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top