JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering what the best hand to hand training would be? Lot's of martial arts studios around, Krav sounds good but I'm way on the west side (Banks/Hillsboro area) and want to learn something that would be useful, real world defense tactics. Any suggestions?

Always go full..

dumb-dumber-fight-scene-o.gif

There is no best martial art. Everyone who has ever practiced a martial art thinks theirs is the best. What is best for me is probably not what is best for you.

You have to decide what you want to get out of it. Do you want to show people that you can do a spinning back kick, or do you want to damage an attacker so they are unable to continue?

IMO, traditional karate styles like Goju Ryu very effective but require much time and repetition which many find boring.

Krav is a good way to learn effective techniques without having to study for years and years. This is the reason it was developed, to train soldiers in a short amount of time.

Mainly, if you are looking for "real world defense tactics", I would recommend avoiding tournament styles.

There is no best martial art. Everyone who has ever practiced a martial art thinks theirs is the best. What is best for me is probably not what is best for you.

You have to decide what you want to get out of it. Do you want to show people that you can do a spinning back kick, or do you want to damage an attacker so they are unable to continue?

IMO, traditional karate styles like Goju Ryu very effective but require much time and repetition which many find boring.

Krav is a good way to learn effective techniques without having to study for years and years. This is the reason it was developed, to train soldiers in a short amount of time.

Mainly, if you are looking for "real world defense tactics", I would recommend avoiding tournament styles.

Great post.^

Just practice your sucker punch like they do down at the airport.

Unfortunately, in a street fight the first one to throw a good punch is usually the most likely winner;).

Take boxing (learn how to fight thru having your bell wrung)and then learn how to bare knuckle it on a bag to toughen up your hands.

Krav has some quick and nasty moves but learning it and being able to effectively use those moves are two different things.

Best of luck, anything will help if you haven't ever been in a fight.

I've always liked Hapkido, learned at Police Academy. We were always on the ground fighting, easier to subdue and harder to get sucker punched. Then again we always fought it groups...LOL

A front push kick to the stomach to create space to get to your weapon drawn. Always have a knife at least. Never worried about weapons much when younger. But these days I'm a better farter than fighter.
Sons of Arthritis. Plenty of who flung du shops out there and MMA gyms if you really liked getting punched.

Check out Marc 'Animal' MacYoung's books like No Nonsense Self Defense. It's not gonna have all the answers, but might give you some ideas...

Also, Krav Maga does have one practical edge over Eastern martial arts--the Oriental arts had to be disguised as "ceremony/competition" because it was forbidden for the peasants to learn how to fight lest they rise up against their betters, while KM has more emphasis on practical work.

Just wondering what the best hand to hand training would be? Lot's of martial arts studios around, Krav sounds good but I'm way on the west side (Banks/Hillsboro area) and want to learn something that would be useful, real world defense tactics. Any suggestions?
I have taken a few years of Aikido at Aikkido northwest and loved it. Not to hard to learn, you pick it up fast, and it has a massive range of situations to use it in. Class price isn't too bad either.

Fighting for your life is also different then bar room brawls.

Are you willing to crush a larynx, push your thumbs into eye sockets till you feel pops and goo, grab a pair of nuts and squeeze until you feel pops again?

Fighting is like carrying, you need to know what your willing to do as well as able...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top