JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not seeing an existing thread on this, so why not. I haven't ever hunted wild boar, javelina, etc., but recently read a book about the topic and found it interesting. And in the relatively near term we're looking to relocate to the southwest.

• Anyone hunt such game and how do you like it?
  • What firearms or other equipment (e.g., archery) do you use?
  • Any tips?
  • Any delicious recipes?
Thanks for sharing.

Hard pass on the wild piggies for me. Tried it several times, tough, gamey, and stinks when you cook it. Plenty of relatively cheap cuts of pork available most places that are much better IMHO....

Well sir, Ferel hogs may be hunted anywhere with anything that will kill them. My oldest son spent his check from Mr. Trump on a helicopter hog hunt in Texas. The best part was they had an M-60 in the door of an old Huey with a 100 round belt in it. He says that it was the best money he ever spent. These critters aren't safe to eat (in my opinion) because of the Trichinosis issue. There are some great YouTube videos of hog hunting, even one of them blowing up a 750 lb porker!

Supposedly the young ones can be tasty, but the old ones are a hard pass. (I'm still talking about swine).

Some areas just want them gone and have all sorts of interesting hunts to kill them.

Hard pass on the wild piggies for me. Tried it several times, tough, gamey, and stinks when you cook it. Plenty of relatively cheap cuts of pork available most places that are much better IMHO....
I raised pigs in 4-H and we sold them at prime eating size. When it came time to hunt the wild Russian Blue Boar in Central California, I would pick out a healthy looking 4-H sized pig and take it (young and stout). It was always much better than the big boars. Big boars were just as you said... tough, gamey and stunk! Tusks of the bigger ones were cool though, but not as a meat pig.

Supposedly the young ones can be tasty, but the old ones are a hard pass. (I'm still talking about swine).

Some areas just want them gone and have all sorts of interesting hunts to kill them.

I didn't realize that they were here in Washington state until I went to work for WDFW. Lots of them up near the old Whoops plant.

I raised pigs in 4-H and we sold them at prime eating size. When it came time to hunt the wild Russian Blue Boar in Central California, I would pick out a healthy looking 4-H sized pig and take it (young and stout). It was always much better than the big boars. Big boars were just as you said... tough, gamey and stunk! Tusks of the bigger ones were cool though, but not as a meat pig.
I took em with an old 30-40 Krag. Great knock down power!

I've hunted wild hogs in Texass and New Mexico and am dying to do it again. I LOVE wild hog. It's different from the pork you will get in the grocery store, so don't go into it thinking you're going to get this sweet, fat, succulent white meat. Depending on what they are feeding on, the meat will vary, but they aren't the farm raised, cornfed assemly line pigs you're probably used to.

Having lived in Arizona, it was a requirement I hunt Javelina

Javelinais a member of the rodent family and should be treated as such. They are smaller than pigs and don't have the culinary range, but are good when slow cooked. Think big squirrel rather than small pig. Dark, stringy and lots of connective tissue. It breaks down well when cooked low and slow and can be used similarly to pork. I found cooking it to pulled pork like consistency was best. It doesn't seem to steak out well.

My Uncle bow hunts. Crazy stuff. Africa, Yukon, big stuff.

He said he'd rather take a bear from the ground (instead of a tree stand) than any boar.

IMG_0082.jpg

I suspect that a lot of it has to do with the size of the creature. Have you ever seen one of those old 600 Nitro Express rounds? I think all you'd have to do is drop one on their head and they'd be done for!
No on the 600 Nitro. Never seen one. I always aimed for the heart, just behind the front shoulder. At home, with the domestic pigs, we'd put one just above the eyes at point blank range. Seems that their brain is a little higher than smack between the eyes.

At any rate, I was not a pro-wild boar hunter, (heck, I was only 15!), so I took the only shot I learned how... heart shot.

We have hunted them in northern Cali before the antis started cracking down on guns, hunting, and out of state folks! They are fun, and challenging to hunt, I have seen them drop with a few well placed shots from a 5.56 AR to the brain bucket, where others didn't even blink after taking a 180 gr .30/06 through the boiler room! I had no trouble dropping them with the .375 Weatherby though, punches a 350 grain solid clean through lengthwise and sucks the insides out the exit hole! Brutal but effective! :D
A fast big bore lever action or semi auto is handy for a back up, and highly recommended, those big-uns can take a lot and keep on truckin, and once they see red, they don't stop till they gore something!

That takes me back. As an adolescent, I had a loaner sporterized Krag in the original .30/40 that I took to the field many times. Fond memories. :)
Ha! I have one that's sporsterized with a scope, and one in original condition. Still like em both but the original one is the most accurate and first choice for most West side hunting.

I suspect that a lot of it has to do with the size of the creature. Have you ever seen one of those old 600 Nitro Express rounds? I think all you'd have to do is drop one on their head and they'd be done for!

I reckon the recoil will be a little spunky with the .600 NE.

600nitroEcompared.jpg

Ha! I have one that's sporsterized with a scope, and one in original condition. Still like em both but the original one is the most accurate and first choice for most West side hunting.

Very nice. The action on those old rifles is really quite good. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top