JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like Greenlick doesn't like us voicing our concerns to him.:s0058:

Maybe he'll propose a bill to strip our 1st Amendment rights next.

OFF ALERT 02.24.13

WEB PAGE UPDATE

GREENLICK SAYS HE HAS STOPPED ANSWERING THE PHONE AND IS DELETING EMAILS.

Dear Gun Rights Supporter,

Mitch Greenlick, the sponsor of HB 3200, the gun ban bill, has sent out an email acknowledging that "HB 3200" was drafted by Ceasefire Oregon.

He also claims the he has had to stop answering his phone and has "deleted a thousand emails". Clearly, you are getting the job done. Good work.

We have received numerous emails and calls from supporters who have been having trouble with our automailer. At the same time it has been working fine for others.

In an angry email to a constituent, Greenlick said " But what should I do with several hundred of exactly the same email from outside my district. " (sic)

So, for many, it's clear your messages have gotten through.

For those who have experienced difficulty, we apologize. We are working to fix any problems, thanks for bearing with us.

In the meantime, we have updated our alert about the gun ban with direct contact info for the sponsors or HB 3200 and a link to reach your own Senators and House Reps.

Thank you for all you have done and continue to do, and thank you for your patience as we work through our technical issues.

Updated webpage info below:

Massive Gun Ban Introduced - Oregon Firearms Federation
http://tinyurl.com/az2ungo

Looks like Greenlick doesn't like us voicing our concerns to him.:s0058:

Maybe he'll propose a bill to strip our 1st Amendment rights next so we can't be an inconvenience.

OFF ALERT 02.24.13

WEB PAGE UPDATE

GREENLICK SAYS HE HAS STOPPED ANSWERING THE PHONE AND IS DELETING EMAILS.

Dear Gun Rights Supporter,

Mitch Greenlick, the sponsor of HB 3200, the gun ban bill, has sent out an email acknowledging that "HB 3200" was drafted by Ceasefire Oregon.

He also claims the he has had to stop answering his phone and has “deleted a thousand emails”. Clearly, you are getting the job done. Good work.

We have received numerous emails and calls from supporters who have been having trouble with our automailer. At the same time it has been working fine for others.

In an angry email to a constituent, Greenlick said " But what should I do with several hundred of exactly the same email from outside my district. “ (sic)

So, for many, it’s clear your messages have gotten through.

For those who have experienced difficulty, we apologize. We are working to fix any problems, thanks for bearing with us.

In the meantime, we have updated our alert about the gun ban with direct contact info for the sponsors or HB 3200 and a link to reach your own Senators and House Reps.

Thank you for all you have done and continue to do, and thank you for your patience as we work through our technical issues.

Updated webpage info below:

HB 3200 is amazing. If enacted it will suddenly create a huge number of felons because I am certain that very few if any folks will comply. It's amazing that on one day every gun I own was OK to have and the next day they make me a felon.

What is the constitutionality of this bill? Would it not be taken to litigation immediately? Would it likely to be found to be violating both the federal and state constitutions?

IMO HB 3200 violates not only the U.S. Constitution Bill of Rights 2nd Amendment - RKBA, but the 4th Amendment - Protection from unreasonable search and seizure, the 5th Amendment - Due process, and Article 1 Sections 9 & 10 prohibiting States from passing Ex Post Facto laws. Many of these same restrictions are present in the Oregon State Constitution and Bill of Rights.

But then, I'm not a lawyer...

IMO HB 3200 violates not only the U.S. Constitution Bill of Rights 2nd Amendment - RKBA, but the 4th Amendment - Protection from unreasonable search and seizure, the 5th Amendment - Due process, and Article 1 Sections 9 & 10 prohibiting States from passing Ex Post Facto laws. Many of these same restrictions are present in the Oregon State Constitution and Bill of Rights.

But then, I'm not a lawyer...

14th amendment also. With the destruction & or loss of your property etc. Without due process. Legislation is not due process.

This is what I just got finished sending out to the sponsors of HB3200. I'm hoping to actually elicit responses from these folks that's why I asked all the questions.

I read through HB3200. It’s an interesting piece of legislation to say the least. If I understand it correctly the rifle Dad used for hunting and that he passed onto to me before he passed away will have to be rendered inoperative or registered. It uses a detachable magazine and the fore grip is to prevent contact from the barrel because it does heat up after the second shot. I won’t have to worry about registering the magazines because they only hold four rounds and I don’t have enough of them to add up to thirty rounds It appears that even upon registration I will be limited as to when and where I can use it. I don’t think I read anywhere that there is an allowance for hunting and that is my hunting rifle. I also understand that there will be a fee to register it and it will have to be secured in a prescribed manner in my home. What exactly would that requirement be and how much would that registration fee be? Is that a one time fee or will it have to be renewed periodically? There is also mention of an inspection that would be required. What agency would be performing these inspections? Would they be law enforcement, such as the County Sheriff’s office or our local police dept. or would it be a regulatory agency? When would these inspections be scheduled? Would I be able to reschedule if I had a prior commitment for that time and date? I work more than full time, actually my work week would be short if it was 50 hours long. I know I’m asking a lot of questions, but I’ve always made it a point to follow rules and laws and I can’t do that if I don’t know what they are. One last question, why are you having me meet all of these requirements? I haven’t done anything wrong and that rifle Dad gave me has only been used for hunting and if the truth be known, it hasn’t actually harvested that many animals.

Sincerely

I did receive a solid pro gun response from Sen. Jackie Winters in regards to another round I sent out.

Thank you all for writing our reps, and also for posting your letters and responses. It's helpful to hear other perspectives, and has imporved my own responses. Here is the personally written letter I just sent out to my reps:

Dear ( )

I have written several letters recently asking you to please vote against any new gun control legislation. I have made a concerted effort to keep my responses well reasoned and unemotional. However, as I sit to write this letter, I am not unemotional. I am very upset.

I read the text of HB3200 on Friday, and I am almost at a loss for words. I am shocked at this reprehensible attack on the second amendment rights of Oregonians. I obviously oppose a ban on modern semi-automatic firearms (labeled "assault rifles) and standard capacity magazines (labeled "high capacity), but this bill goes so much further than that. I have read and analyzed the definitions in this bill, and it would strip Oregonians of virtually any semi-automatic firearm. It bans anything with a forend that partially encircles the barrel? Any firearm that can accept a detachable magazine? Any firearm with a tubular magazine over ten rounds? And apparently I would need to register the single semi-automatic firearm (and 3 magazines) that I am permitted to keep? I'm surprised they even bothered to insert that clause when they would take away every firearm ranging from an AR-15 to a .22 caliber lever action, to a semi-automatic hunting rifle.

I am writing to ask you to please oppose this bill vehemently. Please do not accept any version of it no matter how it is modified. This piece of legislation is fundamentally flawed. It would suggest that we will stop criminals by taking guns from those of us who choose to obey the law.

I fully recognize the simple sales trick that the authors of this bill are using – they're simply raising their price to give the buyer some room to negotiate. They are making this bill all-inclusive in the hopes that a watered down version will pass. I would ask you to understand that we cannot compromise on the failed premise of an "Assault Weapons" Ban. Research has shown that these types of bans have zero impact on crime. There is no good that can come from any version of this bill. The January 2013 study that the Justice Department provided to President Obama states this in no uncertain terms.

While we're talking, I would like to address another concept that is being batted around by anti-gun groups - universal background checks. I want to explain this through the eyes of a law-abiding gun owner. Gun owners see this concept through the eyes of history. Every government that has forced its' citizens to register their firearms has eventually confiscated them. Now you might say, "But we're not talking about registration, only background checks." However, look at how the NICS system works now: When I go to buy a gun, I fill out a form and the FFL submits the information to the NICS system. The ATF requires him to keep that information on file for 20 years, and if the gun shop goes out of business, the ATF keeps those records permanently. Because of this system, universal background check would create a de-facto registry of American gun owners. As a law-abiding gun owner, this idea scares me deeply. I sincerely believe that most gun owners have no problem with taking a background check – they have a problem with the Government keeping a record of their firearm purchases. I also don't believe that immediate family members should need to pass a background check to inherit my firearms.

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating. I work for a living, I pay my taxes, I volunteer in my community, and I make every effort to be a responsible citizen. I implore you oppose HB3200 on behalf of me, my family, and the thousands of law-abiding gun owners in the state of Oregon. We are not the problem, and neither are our legally possessed firearms.

I have emailed my reps in salem as well as all the sponsors of the proposed bill. this is what i wrote.

"The recent tragedies in our state and our nation have saddened us all. We are a nation on mourning, in shock, it is only natural that we would want to make sure that these sorts of events will never happen again. New gun laws are not the answer to a mental health issues. I am the father of three amazing children. Children whom I am teaching how to hunt & fish just like their grandfather did for me, just as my grandfather did for my father. I am teaching them respect for firearms as what they are, power tools. Safety is paramount when you use power tools whither that tool is a skill saw or a firearm. Some of the tools I use to teach my children responsibility, discipline, focus, & respect would be classified as "assault weapons" under Oregon House Bill 3200.

I write to today to voice my opposition to house bill 3200. The writing of this bill is at best misguided & at worst completely unconstitutional. I urge all members of legislature to really focus on the heart of the issues at play. Again I say we do not need new gun laws or restrictions. The wording of House Bill 3200 that allows only one firearm deemed as an "assault weapon" is attacking cosmetics more than function. Limiting high capacity magazines is also a unnecessary bit of legislation. The fact that you are asking for criminal background checks for firearms that we as legal owners have already passed FEDERAL background checks on is at best redundant at worst insulting. Asking us to register our firearms so that State police can enter our homes when ever they see fit with out probable cause nor a warrant. This Bill is asking us to surrender our 4th amendment rights so that our 2nd amendment right can be infringed.

I urge you to please oppose Oregon House Bill 3200. Our state can be a shining beacon of REASON. Gun bans do not work to reduce crime. That has been proven in Chicago, by the 1994 gun ban. I want to encourage you; our representatives in government to get to the heart of the issue, look to mental health care. Can we please move towards helping people with mental or emotional problems rather than infringing the rights of honest citizens.

Thank you for your time

Richard Edmison
Son, Husband, Father, CITIZEN"

I had this e mail waiting for me in my inbox when I got to work this morning. From another pro 2A democrat.

Thank you for your email.

I am opposed to any new restrictions on law abiding gun owners, including HB 3200. As both a retired cop w/ 31 years in law enforcement and a Democrat, I frequently remind my legislative colleagues that law abiding gun owners pose no threat to public safety. I have opposed, and will continue to oppose, efforts to ban CHL holders from K-12 schools and higher educational campus, so called "assault weapon" bans, and any other unecessary restrictions on Oregonians' 2nd Amendment rights.

Thanks again for your email and please feel free to contact me again on this or any other issue.

Jeff Barker

I had this e mail waiting for me in my inbox when I got to work this morning. From another pro 2A democrat.

Thank you for your email.

I am opposed to any new restrictions on law abiding gun owners, including HB 3200. As both a retired cop w/ 31 years in law enforcement and a Democrat, I frequently remind my legislative colleagues that law abiding gun owners pose no threat to public safety. I have opposed, and will continue to oppose, efforts to ban CHL holders from K-12 schools and higher educational campus, so called "assault weapon" bans, and any other unecessary restrictions on Oregonians' 2nd Amendment rights.

Thanks again for your email and please feel free to contact me again on this or any other issue.

Jeff Barker

So sayeth the Chair of the House Judicial Committee, where this bill would be heard if Rep. Barker decides. Or he could choose to not hear it.

Three cheers for Jeff Barker!

Been researching ceasefire OR a bit. Sigh.... Why would these reps align with a group like this ? They don't seem to be very popular. I wonder how they bought Mitch and the other gun grabbers supporting this bill.

My wife and I just sent emails in opposition to all the Senators and Representatives. This bill and all other gun control measures will make law abiding gun owners criminals in the eyes of the law. It is our right to keep and not theirs to take away! We must fight!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top