JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, thanks for the lecture in civics and government, but I got that in high school.
It does not answer the question.

We can argue principles all day long, but that will not take you one step closer to getting a law on the books, either through the legislative or initiative process (see above) and actually getting it enforced.

You guys are talking pie-in-the-sky idealism and I'm talking basic Pacific Northwest political reality, so we're not even having the same conversation.

But at least this morning I spread the word about the plight gun people are having on both sides of the Columbia River...

Oregon gun owners under same attacks as Washingtonians

Not only are Washington gun owners under attack from gun prohibitionists this winter, it appears the entire Pacific Northwest has become a hotbed of anti-gun activity as far-left Democrats in the upper Willamette Valley are pushing restrictions in Oregon.

<broken link removed>

I think thats great that you have an outlet for writing. I actually agree with alot of the stuff you write about, always have. But when it comes to any compromise with these people I totally disagree.

Compromise? With Ginny Burdick and her ilk on a gun ban?

You must have me confused with someone else.

Well Ginny Burdick & Greenlick are a problem here in Oregon but I also have family up in Washington that all have CPL's & know better than to disenfranchise other washingtonian's that choose to not have CPL by personal choice, or possibly can't pass a background check but can legally own firearms because they got a DUI or other non violent misdemeanor in the last 4 years. Those are thousands of Washingtonians that legally can purchase & sell firearms privately but can not go through a brady supported loophole in the law. A compromise that does away with this freedom, a freedom only private sells currently legally allow, will do more harm to Washington state residents & their 2nd amendment rights than not compromising with the commies.

HB 3200 has moved on to committee. It was referred to Joint Ways & Means (joint committee of the House and Senate) instead of the usual referral to House Judicial (we have friends in Judicial, we don't have as many friends on Ways & Means).

THIS BILL IS NOT DEAD. IT IS MOVING FORWARD.

Time for another round of e-mails. The list of Ways & Means members is copious:

Sen. Richard Devlin, Co-Chair
Rep. Peter Buckley, Co-Chair
Sen. Betsy Johnson, Co-Vice Chair
Rep. Nancy Nathanson, Co-Vice Chair
Rep. Dennis Richardson, Co-Vice Chair
Sen. Alan Bates
Sen. Chris Edwards
Sen. Fred Girod
Sen. Bill Hansell
Sen. Rod Monroe
Sen. Elizabeth Steiner Hayward
Sen. Chuck Thomsen
Sen. Doug Whitsett
Sen. Jackie Winters
Rep. Jeff Barker
Rep. Lew Frederick
Rep. Tim Freeman
Rep. Bruce Hanna
Rep. John Huffman
Rep. Bob Jenson
Rep. Betty Komp
Rep. Mike McLane
Rep. Tobias Read
Rep. Greg Smith
Rep. Carolyn Tomei
Rep. Jennifer Williamson

Update: it is going to Judiciary first and would then go to Ways & Means after passing Judiciary. False alarm, my bad.

Last Edited:
HB 3200 has moved on to committee. It was referred to Joint Ways & Means (joint committee of the House and Senate) instead of the usual referral to House Judicial (we have friends in Judicial, we don't have as many friends on Ways & Means).

THIS BILL IS NOT DEAD. IT IS MOVING FORWARD.

Time for another round of e-mails. The list of Ways & Means members is copious:

Sen. Richard Devlin, Co-Chair
Rep. Peter Buckley, Co-Chair
Sen. Betsy Johnson, Co-Vice Chair
Rep. Nancy Nathanson, Co-Vice Chair
Rep. Dennis Richardson, Co-Vice Chair
Sen. Alan Bates
Sen. Chris Edwards
Sen. Fred Girod
Sen. Bill Hansell
Sen. Rod Monroe
Sen. Elizabeth Steiner Hayward
Sen. Chuck Thomsen
Sen. Doug Whitsett
Sen. Jackie Winters
Rep. Jeff Barker
Rep. Lew Frederick
Rep. Tim Freeman
Rep. Bruce Hanna
Rep. John Huffman
Rep. Bob Jenson
Rep. Betty Komp
Rep. Mike McLane
Rep. Tobias Read
Rep. Greg Smith
Rep. Carolyn Tomei
Rep. Jennifer Williamson

"According to our advocates on the ground in Oregon, this stalling action was likely backed by the two Democrat Full Committee Co-Chairmen, state Representative Peter Buckley (D-5) and state Senator Richard Devlin (D-19), both staunch gun control supporters"

This is from a past bill NRA-ILA | Oregon NICS Legislation Needs Your Help

Both Co-chairs are major anti gun.

"According to our advocates on the ground in Oregon, this stalling action was likely backed by the two Democrat Full Committee Co-Chairmen, state Representative Peter Buckley (D-5) and state Senator Richard Devlin (D-19), both staunch gun control supporters"

This is from a past bill NRA-ILA | Oregon NICS Legislation Needs Your Help

Both Co-chairs are major anti gun.

Interesting. I wonder if Jeff Barker had to approve it going from his committee to Ways & Means?

does that mean this anti-gun bill was moved to Ways & Means by pro-gun legislators to stall it?

Yep that had to do with getting rid of the State police doing the check that is already being done via NICS regardless, OSP is stricter than NICS in who passes their background checks in this State than the Federal Government is. Someone who has a careless driving charge, reckless driving, DUI etc... & or on bench probation for any simple non violent misdemeanor will pass a NICS check but will not pass a OSP check, however they legally can purchase & sell via private sells.

Lets hope its possible that its a delay tactic but with who the co-chairs are & with both being major anti gun, its highly doubtful.

Why would it go to Ways and Means?

Because of the $250,000 fine for violation?

I thought they only saw proposed bills that would generate revenue.

Unless I missed it, I saw no other new fees that would require W&M consideration. Seems odd.

Yep that had to do with getting rid of the State police doing the check that is already being done via NICS regardless, OSP is stricter than NICS in who passes their background checks in this State than the Federal Government is. Someone who has a careless driving charge, reckless driving, DUI etc... & or on bench probation for any simple non violent misdemeanor will pass a NICS check but will not pass a OSP check, however they legally can purchase & sell via private sells.

Lets hope its possible that its a delay tactic but with who the co-chairs are & with both being major anti gun, its highly doubtful.

Sorry about the first reply, I had misread your post (not enough coffee). I couldn't delete it, so I edited it to say something completely different ;)

Why would it go to Ways and Means?

Because of the $250,000 fine for violation?

I thought they only saw proposed bills that would generate revenue.

Unless I missed it, I saw no other new fees that would require W&M consideration. Seems odd.

There's probably a fee for registering your one 'allowed assault weapon' & hasn't been disclosed yet or the 250k fine you mention.

Either that, or maybe some sort of a fee to turn in your gun for destruction? I'm curious to see what Kevin Starrett's take is on this development.

Yep, i didn't think about that. Either way its not something i'll ever pay. Question oregonians will have to answer for themselves will be, risk being caught & becoming a felon, moving to a friendlier state to the 2nd, giving in & giving the state whatever it is that their willing to force you to do & kill you over if you dont comply & choose to resist with force, or try to succeed in not complying & resist by force.

An update: the bill has been "Referred to Judiciary with subsequent referral to Ways and Means".

That means that it has to pass Judiciary first and will then go to Ways and Means. And it's not going to pass Judiciary :s0155:

Sorry for the false alarm everyone, carry on as before!

An update: the bill has been "Referred to Judiciary with subsequent referral to Ways and Means".

That means that it has to pass Judiciary first and will then go to Ways and Means. And it's not going to pass Judiciary :s0155:

Sorry for the false alarm everyone, carry on as before!
By carry on as before you must mean stressing out over the newest batch of bills to irritate good gun owners.

That means that it has to pass Judiciary first and will then go to Ways and Means. And it's not going to pass Judiciary

Two days before HB 3200 was introduced we were told that the Legislature was not going to try to pass an "assault weapon" or "high capacity" magazine ban this year. Then they dropped HB3200.

It isn't over until this legislative session is over.

Gun Control Legislation

House Bill 3200 is the most recently proposed gun control legislation.*I encourage all citizens, regardless of their stand on the issue, to read this bill before forming an opinion on whether it is a good direction for Oregon.*From a law enforcement point of view, the bill is concerning in at least two ways.

First, the proposed*criminal penalties are out of line with other laws.*For instance, the penalty for being a felon in possession of a firearm in Oregon is 5 years in prison; under HB 3200, the penalty for being a person with no criminal history in possession of an assault weapon is 10 years in prison.

It is also concerning that the bill put enforcement responsibility solely on the state police, an agency*already understaffed for many functions.*In addition, as written, investigating gun owners simply to ensure safe storage is also not our best use of limited law enforcement resources. Further, entering a person's property for such investigations is a privacy violation that potentially could make this law unenforceable upon being challenged in court.

I continue to believe that our most effective gun safety initiatives will revolve around expanding background checks, improving safety in schools, and adding capacity to mental health services.

Gun rights supporters post video clip outside home of gun control supporter Sen. Ginny Burdick

Mar 5, 2013*Yuxing Zheng, The Oregonian

SALEM -- Sen. Ginny Burdick says she refuses to be intimidated after gun rights supporters posted online a video clip shot outside of her home Monday night, when she was scheduled to host a town hall event that she canceled last Wednesday.

The video at Watchdog Wire, a conservative citizen journalism website, was posted by Jeff Reynolds, editor of the site's Oregon edition and chairman of the Multnomah County Republican Party.

The clip questions whether Burdick, D-Portland, had a scheduling conflict that she cited when she canceled her March 4 town hall at Portland State University. Reynolds, who was not there during the filming, speculates in his post that Burdick did not want to face gun owners upset with her gun control efforts. Reynolds declined to name the person who shot it.

The three-and-a-half-minute video spans more than two hours outside Burdick's home and includes footage of her driving home, hauling her recycling container into her garage and checking her mail. A person is shown knocking on her door around 7:30 p.m., though Burdick did not answer.

"It was clearly an attempt to intimidate me," Burdick said Tuesday morning. "It's a sad time when people feel they can intimidate people like that."

Oregon lawmakers are "citizen legislators," who often hold down other jobs and receive no special security in their private lives.

Burdick said she has received threatening e-mails and once received tar and feathers in the mail when she led a 2000 effort to require background checks at gun shows. She said she is "cautious" and has security at her house but remains concerned about her safety.

"I think it's a concern because these people are very angry and they're carrying guns," Burdick said. "It's not a good combination."

*She did not answer her door when the person in the video knocked because "something told me not to answer it."
"I don't get that many people knocking on my door at that hour," she said. "I'm glad I listened to my instinct."

Burdick, the Legislature's most prominent gun control supporter, has championed bans on high-capacity magazines and assault weapons. Neither effort is expected to go far this session.*

Burdick said she canceled her town hall because she feared gun owners would storm the event and be rude and disruptive. [i thought you had a conflicting meeting Burdick... Citizens can't put their trust in someone who lies].

"I didn't want that to happen in a room full of students," she said. "Keeping my schedule would've been a conflict with common sense."

Rep. Jennifer Williamson, D-Portland, was scheduled to co-host the town hall with Burdick. She said a subcommittee meeting in Salem Monday afternoon would have made it difficult for her to get to the town hall on time, so she didn't object to Burdick's cancellation.
The town hall will be rescheduled, Williamson said.

Reynolds, the Watchdog Wire editor, said the video clip was not an intimidation attempt as Burdick claimed. "This was an attempt to determine if she actually had a scheduling conflict, which was the reason she claimed when she canceled her town hall," Reynolds said.

Reynolds said he knows the person who shot the video "but I'm not at liberty to reveal their identity." The video is posted under the handle name "BareItOrBearIt."

"This isn't about the videographer," Reynolds said. "It's about Ginny Burdick ducking her public responsibilities."

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top