JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Be specific please, what exactly have you seen or experienced?

Four threads in a row, in "OFF TOPIC". Personally I saw nothing in those threads that was questionable? Strip joints? And I don't usually click on just a link unless it seems interesting to me, but polar bears?? It is "Off topic" after all, we need an off topic forum don't we?
If those four locked threads are an example of what this forum will be turning into, well, it's going to get awfully boring in here. And even worse, people will start calling it "ifirearms.net"

Makes no never-mind to me, if it interests me I'll read, if it doesn't I won't.

Mike

The word filter is set to change ten words which most agree have absolutely no place on the website of an organization that is trying to be taken seriously, in order to fight for our rights more effectively..

Fighting for one while squashing another, how is that any different then the other side??:eek:

Do you think the US Forest Service wants to be associated with a forum littered with profanity? People need to remember that this is not just a firearm forum, but an organization with specific goals.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Since when do we care what the government thinks of us??

My hope is that Deadeye is doing this in some kind of rogue way, going through and locking threads when he's in a pissy mood.

My fear is that he's what we would call a "hammer" where I work. The guy who does the dirty work and pisses people off so that the higher-ups can keep their hands clean.

It would need to be context based. sometimes be PO'ed is the only way to describe how you feel. I don't think the obscene words need to be changed.

There are plenty of ways to express that you'd PO'd without resorting to profanity. Over the years the term 'Bubblegum' has become synonymous with the F word here on NWFA, and I don't change that for a reason :)

I think off topic means off topic of guns. We should be able to talk about anything, besides bad stuff. Like threats or such. If we want to talk about a deserter in the army, let us! Cause this AINT Ifish I hope.......

It does mean off the topic of guns, and the only thing we ask you to refrain from (besides bad stuff) is political talk. It's clear some people aren't happy about this, so we're reviewing this now.

I've been on many forums where they have a section that is invite only, with content warnings, where people can talk about whatever they want….religion, politics, adult themed material, etc. But it's kept on lockdown so that google search results don't point people there and the uninformed don't accidentally stray into something they shouldn't. I'd be for something like this here if it would make the unhappy members happier.

This is an option we're considering.

I can't point to any specific incident, but I know for a fact that Deadeye has locked some threads that really left me scratching my head and wondering WTF.

Four threads in a row, in "OFF TOPIC". Personally I saw nothing in those threads that was questionable? Strip joints? And I don't usually click on just a link unless it seems interesting to me, but polar bears?? It is "Off topic" after all, we need an off topic forum don't we?
If those four locked threads are an example of what this forum will be turning into, well, it's going to get awfully boring in here. And even worse, people will start calling it "ifirearms.net"

Makes no never-mind to me, if it interests me I'll read, if it doesn't I won't.

Mike

My hope is that Deadeye is doing this in some kind of rogue way, going through and locking threads when he's in a pissy mood.

My fear is that he's what we would call a "hammer" where I work. The guy who does the dirty work and pisses people off so that the higher-ups can keep their hands clean.

To try to set people straight on @deadeye, he's doing what I've asked him to do. The problem is that I haven't been clear on exactly where to draw the line, despite him asking for clarification many times. This is my failure, not his; he's trying to carry out his duties as a moderator. It really is me you guys should be angry with. This isn't intentional on my part, this is one of the many things on my three page NWFA to-do list I've been meaning to take a look at. Now that I'm here full time I'm quickly scratching items off that list.

Fighting for one while squashing another, how is that any different then the other side??:eek:

Since when do we care what the government thinks of us??

This argument comes up from time to time, and, quite frankly, it's nonsense. Unless one is completely naive, they know that politics and image go hand in hand. I don't care how right you are, if you present yourself in a way that give people pause, the chances of them joining your cause are much smaller. The guys carrying long guns in Chipotle are a perfect example. Were they right? Absolutely! Do I believe in that right? Absolutely! Did it help or hurt our cause? No doubt, it hurt us. I've been a Second Amendment advocate for a long time. I also have quite a bit of first hand involvement in mainstream politics (which is where this fight is being fought). We recently had a group of members split off and form their own site because they believed in your line of thinking rather than mine. I'm not saying this is bad, I'm a member of both the NRA and GOA, both 'styles' of 2A advocacy have their pluses and minuses. I don't think they have to be exclusive, but I do know that people need to understand the difference between a group who plays the game to attract more people to their side and a group who says a right is a right, period. That doesn't mean the NRA doesn't believe that, they're simply taking an approach that is more effective at converting new people to our way of thinking.

@Joe Link -
Might I suggest you look at the the site over all and start with off topic first.

The rules have to fit the site and the forum without a lot of exceptions.

Example is the Minimum Wage change:
Closed - and I appreciate that the reason was posted -
"There are many different people here with many different opinions, ideologies, and viewpoints. Like religion, discussing these issues here is likely to offend others or cause division within the community. "

Well apply that standard to the BBQ Sauce thread. That right there is grounds for feuds. "Fighting Words"
Talk about a chance for division.

I wish you luck. After all, every discussion is political or religious. And everyone who shoots a [Glock|1911|Colt|AK-47 ...] agrees with me or they are [Hitler|Mussolini|The Devil|Mother Teresa|Obama|Bush....]

:D:)Bubblegum, bubblegum, bubblegum. Bummer- I know if you used one of the 10 it'd replace it with "bubblegun" I was just curious if I typed bubblegum if it'd type the swear word,,,,,OK, I ADMIT IT- I'M NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTERs!!

ive noticed in the past where some threads have been closed for what looks like people bickering or even threads that only seemingly stray from the original post. i realize that this forum is for a specific purpose but sometimes a conversation can take a turn for the more annoying side for some. it is usually politically driven conversations, which are prone to differing opinions.

maybe moving the line back on that, to allow the conversation to progress could be helpful. theres nothing worse than trying to get your point across, than to be cut off. though it may be prudent to close those where on or more people are making personal attacks rather than staying on topic.

i havent been nearly as active lately, so i cant be sure but it does seem that the questionable moderation has been far less present over the last couple of months. at least for what i have seen. i never did pay very much attention to who made the decision.

on another note ive always gotten a kick out of bubblegum being used as a word filter but it can get a bit dry from time to time. maybe change it up every few months or better yet, let someone who has done some volunteering work pick a new word here and there. maybe when the forum comes together for a range clean up, the guy who collects the most trash gets to choose the new word. just a thought anyway, not something that keeps me up at night.

No he is just a net nanny, who roams this board looking for bubblegum to be butthurt about, then plays and the hides behind the Mod status

I knew he locked more than one that made here too.

Can't we all get along? Aren't there bigger things worth bickering over?

Folks...moderators included...let's all do the right thing.

"There are many different people here with many different opinions, ideologies, and viewpoints. Like religion, discussing these issues here is likely to offend others or cause division within the community. "

Commenters are correct, this can apply to anything, whether it be Glock v. 1911, or who would win in a fight between John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. But a knee-jerk application of the rule can make it difficult to develop a healthy "marketplace of ideas," esp. in the "Legal & Political" Section. Perhaps we should create a new "Kool Aid" section (joking).

Deadeye has an agenda and if your a supporter/friend you skate by and if not he has a heavy hand, and won't reply to pm's.

I'm neither but I haven't found it to be too harsh at all. Deadeye seems like a stand-up guy to me. Having been a moderator on other sites, you can't please everyone.

ive noticed in the past where some threads have been closed for what looks like people bickering or even threads that only seemingly stray from the original post. i realize that this forum is for a specific purpose but sometimes a conversation can take a turn for the more annoying side for some. it is usually politically driven conversations, which are prone to differing opinions.

maybe moving the line back on that, to allow the conversation to progress could be helpful. theres nothing worse than trying to get your point across, than to be cut off. though it may be prudent to close those where on or more people are making personal attacks rather than staying on topic.

i havent been nearly as active lately, so i cant be sure but it does seem that the questionable moderation has been far less present over the last couple of months. at least for what i have seen. i never did pay very much attention to who made the decision.

on another note ive always gotten a kick out of bubblegum being used as a word filter but it can get a bit dry from time to time. maybe change it up every few months or better yet, let someone who has done some volunteering work pick a new word here and there. maybe when the forum comes together for a range clean up, the guy who collects the most trash gets to choose the new word. just a thought anyway, not something that keeps me up at night.

I'd like this thread locked for kevinkris' inability to use capital letters.

I'm neither but I haven't found it to be too harsh at all. Deadeye seems like a stand-up guy to me. Having been a moderator on other sites, you can't please everyone.

i can agree with the part of not being able to make everyone happy. its something we deal with every day. i couldnt comment on deadeye though. cant say either way because i dont pay so much attention to the way any of the mods do their work.

Fair enough. I don't know Deadeye and have never spoken to him. He probably is a stand up guy, but as a mod he jumps the gun too damn early.

One of the threads I started was about Nancy Pelosi and the Catholic Church, and her looking like a complete idiot.

Part of me posted the story for the "know your enemy" aspect of the story. The other part of me posted it because we as gun owners really haven't had a bubblegum of a lot to cheer about in the last few years. Yes we have won some battles but deep down we all know its just a matter of time.

It is nice on occasion to see your enemy fall on their bubblegum in public and laugh about it a bit with your friends. I guess I will just have to wait for my enemies to bubblegum up in a way that doesn't involve the following

Some things are done for morale.

Thats it, I'm done with the subject. Moving on....

I must say, if we can keep religion out of most threads it would be for the best.

I know in some cases it might be brought in, but one must weigh what things it might set in motion.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top