JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We were in johanasburg a couple years ago. Guy with a ak 47 guarding the entrance to the subdivision were we were staying in. Once inside all the homes had walls or a hot fence around them. Scary place. Once we were out of town things seemed safe.

Thanks for the video, gives some thought on how easily normalcy can change.

Am currently reading thru Mel Tapins Personal Survival letters.

Has sections on living with terrorism, methods used by homesteaders in Rhodesia and the like etc. Similar to what was in the video fir the home, but being as isolated as they were also included multiple layers of well thought out countermeasures.

8' to 10' wire fencing surrounds, automated electrified, with clear fields of fire from the house.

Safe protected interior rooms.

Countermeasures for use against rocket and grenade attacks etc.

Remote switches to turn on lights in rooms no one is in, to direct terrorists fire there, giving the terrorist positions away.

Ballistic protection bellow windows (brick, cement, sand bags etc), as fire was mostly direct there.

Etc.

Back in 1990 I bought my old Mauser at an auction in Liverpool. Along with it came some family history of how they'd gone out to Rhodesia in 1913 to grow tobacco, had an interesting time during WW1 [German East Africa was right next door - think 'African Queen sort of stuff']- and afterwards settled down until Mugabe reared his freakin' ugly head in the '80s. With a compulsory possession order in the mailbox, the two oldest sons and the son of the original settler rigged the house, farm buildings and the wells with a few surprises. Did I mention that they had ALL been in the Rhodesian SAS? A total of 400 pounds of RDX [like C4] had been shared out among the buildings, and a 100 pound bag of arsenic and sulphur had been put down each well. Having set all the booby traps, half the family went over to Tanzania while the other half went down into the RSA. One of the sons spent the last couple of hours spraying the plantation from the air with kerosene instead of weed-killer, and left a 'device' to set the whole thing off after a couple of hours - hopefully as the new owners were coming through the gates.

He told me that they had only gotten about ten miles when they saw the smoke rising, and heard the KA-booms.

All of them got away safely, and those that came back to England brought a load of guns with them, mostly shotguns. I got the Mauser rifle, and I treasure it, proudly showing it off to you guys now and then.

There was of no mention of what might have happened to Mugabe's animals, although the welcoming they got what certainly not what they had expected, but the history of that poor country without its white population to manage its vast richnesses is a matter of record. It was, I bleeve, one of the countries that your President mentioned the other week when he referred to s***hole African countries.

tac

Can I ask this here?

How were things in South Africa with the old government? All aspects. Social. Cultural. Economic. Political.

Now compare that time with the present government of South Africa. Direct comparisons.

Just asking.

Can I ask this here?

How were things in South Africa with the old government? All aspects. Social. Cultural. Economic. Political.

Now compare that time with the present government of South Africa. Direct comparisons.

Just asking.
Well if you ask that in the editorial section or any comment section of the Oregonian then you will get branded as a racist, bigot, xenophobe, etc.

I have to say being in Tijuana a few weeks ago, it looked a whole lot like those homes in the vid
Yet the left brands us as racists when we simply don't want our towns and cities to start looking like that. Too bad. I rather like my shining beacon excellence on the hill.

South African group, Die Antwoord.... I'll just leave this right here.

wtf.jpg

Nice. Reminds me of Baltimore, you know, but without the class.

Been through BWI airport and Andrews-AFB many, many times coming and going from Ft. Meade/NSA back in the 80's... flew over and around Baltimore in an Army CH-47 Chinook once, but never had the time to actually go into the city and get me a heaping plate of them steamed blue-crabs, freshly harvested from the bay.

Been through BWI airport and Andrews-AFB many, many times coming and going from Ft. Meade/NSA back in the 80's... flew over and around Baltimore in an Army CH-47 Chinook once, but never had the time to actually go into the city and get me a heaping plate of them steamed blue-crabs, freshly harvested from the bay.
I used to operate a market which included Baltimore and the surrounding area. It was lovely. Hooters was nice at Inner Harbor but venture out a block or two and you wake up in a hospital wondering what happened, if you're lucky. That was back in the early 00's. Nowadays, if New Jersey had a rectum it would be called Baltimore's Inner Harbor.

I read an article this morning (National Geographic, I think) that stated that Cape Town will be officially out of water by April. No more water will come from the taps. They are planning for how to get bottled drinking water to 4 million people at this time.

edit: found it
Why Cape Town Is Running Out of Water, and Who's Next
"There is no more time for solutions. We need an act of God. We need divine intervention"

Perhaps that is His answer

Last Edited:
I knew a professional hunter that lived all over Africa for about 15-20 years....SHE WAS TOUGH.

She told me that at least 4 times she was attempted to be robbed with a gun
She told me that at least 6 times she was attempted to be robbed with a knife
She told me that at least 10+ times she was attempted to be robbed with a threat.

She said only once, she gave the bad guy her phone and purse....that was her first time. After she told one of her team members that grew up there, he told her to never give up anything and kill them if she could. She never killed anyone that she told me about but she did break a few noses and pretty sure she broke kneecaps.

Dinner with her was always a good time :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top