JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's tough listening to someone who insists on using incorrect terms. Someone who talks about getting into his car when he's getting into his truck, a person who lives in an apartment calling it a house, a person shooting a revolver and calling it a pistol all give you a little hitch when you're trying to take them seriously. No, it's not the end of the world, just makes you wonder why people insist on using the wrong terms when they know better. What do you think of a person who asks a Jew where he goes to church?

They were called pistols long before we had automatics.
The calvary used them-hahaha, actually the Cavalry, just wanted to get a jab in.

Clips/magazines, give it a rest, you probably say I seen it happen.

And then there is Savage...... proves to me it's not worth arguing about

clip magazine 003.jpg

I'll take a risk of being slammed for sharing this but to answer the OP's question...

If it has a spring to move or facilitate the loading of cartridges into a chamber then it a magazine.

If it doesn't have a spring it is a clip

Now here is the relationship between clips and magazines:

Clips always charge (not load) magazines and magazines never charge clips.

Chambers are loaded; magazines are charged.

Clips and magazines are similar but different - they serve different purposes altogether. Sorta like the difference between a car and truck. They're both the same but different - they serve different purposes altogether.

If the media is trying to accurately depict real life, then calling magazines clips and other crimes against the language is their job. It would be strange to show a common street thug use perfect English in a movie script wouldn't it? You want colloquialisms?, try working/living in the South for a while. No matter what the make, a forklift is a HYSTER and "they don't care how you do it up north!" are just a few things you learn pretty quick.

I say, Reginald, old fellow. Would you mind sticking a clip into that magazine and shooting that fellow over there, the one whom is selling the crack cocaine. I do believe that he is attempting to undercut us!

I'm going to start calling barrels " bullet holes" and triggers "bang bang makers". No big deal, actually more accurate description in some ways... Idiocracy is coming to fruition.

And then there is Savage...... proves to me it's not worth arguing about

Love this! If one ever reads any articles or books from the earlier part of the 20th Century, they would see that the term "clip" was used instead of magazine. At that time, "clip" was used to describe a removable magazine as opposed to one that wasn't removable, like a tubular or blind box.

And yes, there were stripper clips for military rifles then, too.

Other than that...:s0013:

Love this! If one ever reads any articles or books from the earlier part of the 20th Century, they would see that the term "clip" was used instead of magazine. At that time, "clip" was used to describe a removable magazine as opposed to one that wasn't removable, like a tubular or blind box.

And yes, there were stripper clips for military rifles then, too.

Other than that...:s0013:
And they also used to call black folks Ni.. Well you get the idea.
Its the wrong nomenclature.
Also note, things we're just becoming an industry thus true definitions weren't inscribed.
Watching early 1911, M16 and m14 they clearly make note that they are fed by box magazines, not "clips".
Now we have clear military definition, heck I bet websters even has it!
A lot of cities in England got their name because the uneducated slang speakers couldn't pronounce each city's name properly.

And they also used to call black folks Ni.. Well you get the idea.
Its the wrong nomenclature.
Also note, things we're just becoming an industry thus true definitions weren't inscribed.
Watching early 1911, M16 and m14 they clearly make note that they are fed by box magazines, not "clips".
Now we have clear military definition, heck I bet websters even has it!
A lot of cities in England got their name because the uneducated slang speakers couldn't pronounce each city's name properly.

And many Blacks still call themselves and each other the "N" word, while violently opposing anyone else doing the same.

Going to go ahead and put myself in the "Whatever" camp here. I say magazine because I know it to be the correct term and it's what I'm used to saying, but if I were to hear somebody else say clip, I seriously doubt that I'd care enough to correct them. What's the point? We all know what they're referring to.

Now, if somebody asked me what I meant when I said magazine, or accused ME of using the wrong term, then yeah, I'd educate them. Otherwise, I don't think it's really worth the hassle.

Going to go ahead and put myself in the "Whatever" camp here. I say magazine because I know it to be the correct term and it's what I'm used to saying, but if I were to hear somebody else say clip, I seriously doubt that I'd care enough to correct them. What's the point? We all know what they're referring to.

Now, if somebody asked me what I meant when I said magazine, or accused ME of using the wrong term, then yeah, I'd educate them. Otherwise, I don't think it's really worth the hassle.
But, with that mentality being said.. If one was in wood or auto shop and CLEARLY pointed to one thing and called it by a totally different name it would indeed be perceived as being rhe incorrect term just as calling a magazine a clip is the wrong term. Though the teacher or peer knows what you're talking about when you signal to or refer to something that clearly is named something else it does t make it right and only reinforces bad habits when it goes unchecked..Much like muzzle awareness and chamber checks.. But I guess those aren't that important because they didn't really pay attention to that much back in the day anyhow right?

But, with that mentality being said.. If one was in wood or auto shop and CLEARLY pointed to one thing and called it by a totally different name it would indeed be perceived as being rhe incorrect term just as calling a magazine a clip is the wrong term. Though the teacher or peer knows what you're talking about when you signal to or refer to something that clearly is named something else it does t make it right and only reinforces bad habits when it goes unchecked..Much like muzzle awareness and chamber checks.. But I guess those aren't that important because they didn't really pay attention to that much back in the day anyhow right?

If we were in a classroom setting - just like the wood or auto shop example you used - or something similar, then yeah, I'd agree with you. If I were teaching somebody how to handle a firearm, what each component of a firearm is and what its purpose was, then I would be sure to use the proper terminology. I'm more talking about casual settings though, hanging out at the range or in the woods with a couple of friends, and I was under the impression that's what everyone else had in mind too. You seem to equate poor muzzle awareness and forgetting to check your chamber with saying "clip" instead of "magazine", which is confusing to me. Even if you're downright offended by someone using the wrong term to refer to a detachable box used to feed rounds into a firearm's chamber, you've got to admit that that's one practice that isn't about to kill or wound anybody, even if it is technically incorrect.

Things that I would actively call somebody out on if I heard it in a casual setting? Well, I'm Irish-American, and the term "paddy" offends the heck out of me for its historically derogatory meaning. Even though it offends me, I know that 9 times out of 10 when people say it they don't mean any offense whatsoever. So if a buddy of mine let it slip out of his mouth, I'd politely though firmly inform him of the term's significance and ask him not to say it again. If somebody said "clip" though... eh, it just doesn't really bother me that much. Maybe a little I suppose, but whereas "paddy" personally offends me and poor muzzle awareness is a hazard to everyone in the vicinity, I don't see people saying "clip" as having any potential to harm anybody.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Well, yes, knowing why it's called a paddy wagon is one thing...my youngest goes by Paddy, since he is a Padriac....

Words do have meanings, and I accept that fact. I do use magazine myself, and have since Feb 1974 when I started BRM in basic training. But, not being a language policeman, I just don't care. If you have a weapon in your hand that uses a removable magazine and ask me for a clip, I know what you mean....(there is only one exception to this, and that would be a SMLE, but that's a rare thing)...

He lost a bit of credibility when he referred to the SKS as a gun. A gun is a crew served weapon. A SKS is a rifle or a weapon as in "This is my rifle, this is my gun, this ones for shooting........... If we are going to be such sticklers for nomenclature, then let's go all out. Otherwise someone should take this guy out on a boat and throw him out one of the little round windows!:s0114:

Ooorah!

Speaking of Magazines...

We recommend students bring a minimum of two magazines and preferable three or more to our courses after the Basic Handgun Safety class. One morning I walked into the classroom just before the start of a Defensive Handgun 1 course which presupposes an individual has had prior training to obtain a valid Concealed Handgun License from any state. A first time to OFA student was sitting at the second row and had a copy of Shooting Times and Guns & Ammo on his table. I said to him "oh are you expecting the class to be so boring you brought reading material along?" The student retorted without hesitation and said "the sheet telling me what to bring to class said bring three magazines but I could only afford to buy these two."

Fortunately this has only happened once!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top