JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't read this article (I think) but I read an article a month or two ago about middle age families moving out of the city for better living conditions and quieter environs.

I don't think this will have much impact on the density of metros, but it will have an impact on the cost of real estate within commuting distance of the metro area - which would be good for me if it happens before I sell my property and move further out (outside convenient commuting distance).

I haven't read this article (I think) but I read an article a month or two ago about middle age families moving out of the city for better living conditions and quieter environs.

I don't think this will have much impact on the density of metros, but it will have an impact on the cost of real estate within commuting distance of the metro area - which would be good for me if it happens before I sell my property and move further out (outside convenient commuting distance).
Better move to where there is no high speed internet..... and those places are growing fewer all the time

LOL, your concept of "convenient commute" is similar to mine, but Wyoming-like in scale.
I see myself working for another 10-15 years. My job only requires that I live within 100 miles of a jet capable airport.
Once the kids are in college, I see living in a state with lower taxes and more friendly 2A attitudes.

Better move to where there is no high speed internet..... and those places are growing fewer all the time

Already there - DSL is 1.5 mbps here, so I went to long distance WiFi - I get a whopping 6 mbps, when I get it at all. I started at 3 mbps then they upped it last year to six. I miss the 100 mbps I got when I lived in town. I would gladly pay a dollar per mbps if I could get something faster. I am waiting for 5G coverage with an unlimited data plan - then I should be able to get 'high speed'. Right now I am stuck in the single digits.

Wyoming is high on my short list. I thought about Texas but when you look closely, they're not quite as freedom-loving as they portray. The hunting is good there if you have access to private property as there is virtually zero public land there.

Found a ranch in WY with 460+ acres for just over $1,000 acre only 16 miles off I-84. If available when the market comes back some I may put in a offer

Interesting article. The long term effects — culturally, economically, politically, et al. — of the pandemic could be profound.

Personally, I never liked cities, rarely travel to them, and even less so in my life time lived in them. Fortunately in the age in which we live some career fields do not require being in or near a major city. But to each their own, of course.

So basically the left's plan to stack us on top of each other and take away our parking spaces is going to backfire on them? Kind of funny how the left is now embracing gun ownership, even though they can't find that loophole to get a gun mailed to them without a BGC. Now they will embrace abandoning city life and start heading out to those evil suburbs and beyond. Just great.

So basically the left's plan to stack us on top of each other and take away our parking spaces is going to backfire on them? Kind of funny how the left is now embracing gun ownership, even though they can't find that loophole to get a gun mailed to them without a BGC. Now they will embrace abandoning city life and start heading out to those evil suburbs and beyond. Just great.

Oh the pols are still pushing gun control big time, and most of the left still wants it while they secretly buy/own guns, but just don't want the other guy to have guns.

The problem isn't the bandwidth. For most things, 10-30gbs is good to go (unless you have several devices that need an internet connnection) such as streaming a movie.

The problem with satellite based internet is a stat that is overlooked in a big way, and that is latency. You might have a pipeline big enough to handle the data you want to move, but how long does it take?

Satellite data latency is really, really long compared to cable or fiber optics. Ask your kid or grandkid about the importance of latency. Not only does it matter for things like gaming, but more importantly, things like teleconferencing or anything happening live.

If you live in the boonies, it's great you can stream Netflix, where the content is buffered, but do not expect to do anything in real time. In addition, when the weather is frisky, good luck that your signal doesn't degrade to a Minecraft Lego block experience.

stack us on top of each other and take away our parking spaces is going to backfire on them

The events of 2020 may just put the skids on the gentrification movement. That's the deal where what were once called Yuppies move into the inner city and fix up a "loft" (former crappy, run-down warehouse) or similar. Because they like being where the nightlife, bars, bistros, etc. are. It's so camp. That may not work for a while, anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top