JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just posting this to get some opinions on this forum about the CAC patrol approach.

Armed posse patrols timber land in sheriff's place - Yahoo! News

Read about it elsewhere. It's OK with me if the citizens understand they can only arrest/hold for the sheriff a person committing a violent felony in their presence. Really just have to report misdemeaner crimes...of course, when I was in service there was always the alternate to article 15...it was called a blanket party. Quite effective in detering minor problems.

Read about it elsewhere. It's OK with me if the citizens understand they can only arrest/hold for the sheriff a person committing a violent felony in their presence. Really just have to report misdemeaner crimes...of course, when I was in service there was always the alternate to article 15...it was called a blanket party. Quite effective in detering minor problems.

amen to that brother

Dangerous to play police officer. Case in point the Martin/Zimmerman case in Florida that is still yet to go to trial.

Not a problem if you just observe and call the police, but stick your fingers in the problem and you may get burned big time. Not worth it to me.

From the above link, my comment follows.
ARREST
133.220 Who may make arrest. An arrest may be effected by:
***** (1) A peace officer under a warrant;
***** (2) A peace officer without a warrant;
***** (3) A parole and probation officer under a warrant as provided in ORS 133.239;
***** (4) A parole and probation officer without a warrant for violations of conditions of probation, parole or post-prison supervision;
**(5) A private person; or
***** (6) A federal officer. [Amended by 1981 c.808 §2; 2005 c.668 §4]
***** 133.225 Arrest by private person. (1) A private person may arrest another person for any crime committed in the presence of the private person if the private person has probable cause to believe the arrested person committed the crime. A private person making such an arrest shall, without unnecessary delay, take the arrested person before a magistrate or deliver the arrested person to a peace officer.
****(2) In order to make the arrest a private person may use physical force as is justifiable under ORS 161.255. [1973 c.836 §74]

I read the article on another site days ago, and I'm all for it. There are many communities through mismanagement of funds or lack of taxable base that need the publics help. Im of the opinion that if the sheriff is only there to investigate after the crime, or to have a perp handed over, then we have a complete failure of our politicians to adequately serve the very community they are supposed to represent.

I'm a betting man that says the money needed for the sheriffs department was put towards a better use like funding a anti logging meetup, an art show, or even committee members junkets to god knows where.

Give me the choice between 5 new stoplights in town and some art work over funding deputies to atleast investigate crime, I dare you.

Right.

That's sounds like a great idea.

A couple of middleaged to elderly gentlemen (based on my scientific study of the pic)
running around playing cops and robbers.

I mean really, what could go wrong?

I also like how the two men in the article voted against tax increases for local law enforcement.

Not that I'm a huge fan of taxes, but, sometimes you just have to understand you get what you pay for.

Right.

That's sounds like a great idea.

A couple of middleaged to elderly gentlemen (based on my scientific study of the pic)
running around playing cops and robbers.

I mean really, what could go wrong?

I also like how the two men in the article voted against tax increases for local law enforcement.

Not that I'm a huge fan of taxes, but, sometimes you just have to understand you get what you pay for.

(get what you pay for) ????? don't you mean what they say it's for then they use the money for other "important stuff" unfortunately the government (city, county, & state) always goes for law enforcement and and fire departments first. (if taxes are not raised we will have to cut your safety)
why not go after some of the b s services like the nea or giving benefits to illegals? because they know you will vote for raising the taxes for the cops but not for illegals to be on food stamps.

Well regardless of the tax issue,

A couple of elderly gentlemen playing cops and robbers.....

Seems like an accident, vigilante shooting, law suit waiting to happen.
Pick any one or combination of all 3.

Well regardless of the tax issue,

A couple of elderly gentlemen playing cops and robbers.....

Seems like an accident, vigilante shooting, law suit waiting to happen.
Pick any one or combination of all 3.

Sounds like the average day for the swat teams, making no knock warrant busts on the wrong houses, shooting dogs.

Interestingly, it sounds like SHTF in this part of oregon. This thread almost belongs over in the preparedness and survival forum instead of here.

I don't totally disagree with what they are trying to do, however at the same time there are other mechanisms for this. In particularly the reserve officer program many departments have, as well as scads of other volunteer opportunities that are out there. I've been a communications volunteer for many years before I moved up to wa. I havn't gotten around to seeing if there is the same thing going on here, but I'm not totally moved yet.

Frankly, it sounds like the local sheriff is hostile to the idea of actually doing his job.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top