JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ironically, Value Village actually helps charities.
This is true. Because VV pays smaller charities who don't have the scale to properly market goods donated to them. VV in turn sells what they buy for a profit. The charities get money back for what they sell to VV. How this hurts customers of VV, as claimed by Ferguson, is false. Because the customers don't care where the stuff comes from. If there is an implied notion that charities benefit, it's not a fiction. It's indirect but beneficial.

Cannot say the same for Goodwill - which is run like a for-profit business.
If the AG of Oregon or WA investigated what shell company owns the properties which Goodwill leases, and who the end owner is, I think they might have interesting findings.
The Goodwill is not all one, monolithic organization. There is an umbrella organization that in turn franchises out local non-profit branches. So from one location to the other, they are separate entities and to some extent, run differently from one to another. I'm sure there are basic guidelines. They have been criticized for top executive pay being very high. The guy running the Portland area Goodwill at one time was making over $800K.

The biggest Goodwill store in my county owns their property. Which is the Goodwill Outlet store, a kind of last chance bazaar. The regular, smaller retail stores around here typically rent from commercial property owners.

I've stopped going to Salvation Army thrift stores
Around here, they have kind of faded away. I think in general, interest in the SA has been declining. Could be for the same reason that modern society's interest in religion has been on the decline. As a religious charity, SA may be in the same boat. Donations have declined. I've read that a few years ago, they embarked on a change in philosophy to embrace the woke concept. By trying this move, they alienated some of their support that came from Right-thinking supporters. There is always the backlash to consider.

Lately I prefer very specific thrift stores.. and flea markets. Habitat for Humanity ReStore for example, and Super Thrift (formerly Teen Challenge). St Vincent De Paul's St Vinnies have gone the same route as Goodwill, pricing things closer to retail on many things other than clothes.

They have been criticized for top executive pay being very high. The guy running the Portland area Goodwill at one time was making over $800K.
I knew a lady here in the mid-Valley that was an Officer for Goodwill in Portland and was making six figures easy. The money and benefits were easily worth the commute. I never would have imagined this.

At some point, I decided that I wasn't going to allow the state to spoil my hobby, I figured there were plenty of things left for me to have fun with and I've embraced that idea.
Just exactly the way they want it! Keep restricting rights and people with that mindset will simply conform without complaint... right back to good ol single shot muskets.

(....right up until the time they decide you don't need those either!) ;)

I'm sure they appreciate your support.:s0155:

Just exactly the way they want it! Keep restricting rights and people with that mindset will simply conform without complaint... right back to good ol single shot muskets.

(....right up until the time they decide you don't need those either!) ;)

I'm sure they appreciate your support.:s0155:
And after that what force is there to stop them from going Full China and deciding "Politburo Member X needs your kidneys more than you do, we're harvesting you for organs whether you consent or not"... while now, try that crap and there are gonna need a lot more people NEEDING donor organs than received from the effort.

I enjoy seeing him overstep his authority. Every time he does it makes 1240 look more fragile.
By the time this crap wangles its way through the courts, Turd will be a sitting governor. Word is he's already got the rest of his draconian gun control plan for the state drafted and ready to drop. NJ, NYS, California and Illinois will look like Arkansas or Arizona in comparison to what he's got planned.

By the time this crap wangles its way through the courts, Turd will be a sitting governor. Word is he's already got the rest of his draconian gun control plan for the state drafted and ready to drop. NJ, NYS, California and Illinois will look like Arkansas or Arizona in comparison to what he's got planned.
Here's the rub: Turd's just not that smart--he's goading us trying to make somebody Go Kinetic because his puppetmasters tell him to, they've already designated him for a Pawn Sacrifice at whatever point they think they need a "martyr for the cause."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top