JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So big earthquake hits, you and you're family are all right. Unfortunately your house and garage look like a stack of pancakes burying and effectively rendering useless your Bug out Vehicle, gun room, ammo stash, bug out bag, and food and water supply.

disaster logic tells you that you have 24 hours before the natives get restless and things go hostile.

What do you do? where do you go? do you have a backup stash somewhere?

so there is an advantage to having so much crap in the garage that the vehicles don't fit anymore!

This is a tough one.

We have rural property 35 miles away but if there's an earthquake that big, we won't be able to get there as it's on the other side of the Willamette river that runs through town. I imagine bridges will be impassable.
I'd only have my Glock 19 with me. I'd probably attempt to get to one of our vehicles to get to one of our bug out or get home bags.

At this point it would be a case of getting to other family members, and rallying with neighbors to figure out what our resources are and what we need.

Hmmm great question! :s0155:

Unless a tree falls my car would be ok. I do have some emergency food stashed at the girlfriend's place but if there really was a 'big one' her place is at just as much risk as mine is to crumble. Good question.
After seeing the devastation in Haiti all I can think about now is water, water, water. Clean water is king right now in Haiti. Makes me think to buy a couple of bottled filtration systems and have them stashed at work/car/home....who knows.

I stand Fast, in 24hrs I can get to my stuff, Jeep stays outside so I am good there, then I use it to winch off what I cannot pull off to get to my boxes in the Garage my pelican/storm boxes are tough so it is very likely everything will be GTG. Pending a fire all should be GTG. I whip out my generator get the freezer back up and find a way to make heat. Move to the BBQer AO in my back yard. Set up the tents, get with my Buddies to see how they are and decide which house is in the best condition. make sure everybody is GTG and if we need to consolidate. Set up a perimeter hope the Army lets me stay with my fam or stuff. (Not likely as I am sure I would be called into the Hospital) But at least get our families together so security is not an issue. I have at least one gun so until I can get to my safe this will suffice.:s0155:

I broke bum lives in an apt so I would grab my guns and car key on the way out and hit the road. My Dad lives in central Oregon and is one of those guys wearing tin hats quite frequently so I would head to his house, as crazy as he is he's still quite prepared....For anything.

And scientists say that the northwest is due for a 10.0 or so earthquake in the next 100 years or so, could be tomorrow, could be 2099.

I keep my guns and ammo in a safe, so I don't imagine that they'd be irretrievable. It would take time to dig everything out, but it would be necessary. I also keep my hunting/hiking bag that would be a quick grab. If I had time to get out, I'd have time to grab it. It has some rations and water in it, as well as a filter for getting more water (I live within a 1/2 mile of a river). I think I could construct a shelter on my property that would function until I came up with a better plan.
Its a good thought, but remember, just because things are fallen flat, doesn't mean it isn't still there. Grab some gloves and start digging your gear out.
Unfortunately, more likely than the earthquake in my area is a wildfire. Should have a little more evacuation notice than an Earthquake ;). Harder to survive with just a pile of charcoal if it went that far...

Good points. I'm reorganizing half my garage for preparedness and general storage. Towards my garage door I was planning to put yard/garden tools for convenience. Now I'm thinking I should have my bug-out bag and at least some supplies along an exterior wall or door so it'd be *easier* to dig out in a total structural collapse.

I keep a preparedness bag (with supplies, food, and gear) secured in the trunk of my car; which is never kept inside my garage. In that bag I keep a .40S&W H&K USPc. In the glovebox I keep a second weapon (Springfield XD40-SC) which is also .40S&W caliber. I also have a .40S&W gun on my person at all times. In a bag in my trunk I also keep hundreds of rounds of .40S&W ammo. That way if we cannot make it home or enter our home we still have at least two weapons of the same caliber and supplies on hand.

I'm saving up to buy a couple LifeSaver bottles and I'm thinking of stashing them in a locked garden type box on the back deck' along with water bottes and some other basic supplies in a dry bag.
As far as real world SHTF situations I think earthquake is one of the few realistic scenarios we face in the PNW.

I'm saving up to buy a couple LifeSaver bottles and I'm thinking of stashing them in a locked garden type box on the back deck' along with water bottes and some other basic supplies in a dry bag.
As far as real world SHTF situations I think earthquake is one of the few realistic scenarios we face in the PNW.
Yup, earthquake and fire are the too biggest risks in this area, IMHO. :)

Great post to get the old rusty wheels turning. Doesn't anyone have a trailer or camper stocked & ready to go? It stays outside, has a stash of gear/food/blankets/pots & pans, etc. Like someone else said, my guns are in a safe, I might have to do a little, maybe a lot of digging but . . . Most clothing/bedding/packs should be salvageable as should most of the can/dry goods, just going to take some digging to get to. Do need a generator to run the refrigerator & freezers. The BBQ is outside so it might be all right. Great post, great input.

If my truck survives (it doesn't fit in the garage even when it is empty!) I'll be ok. I have a 48 hour emergency pack with food, water, filter, stove, ammo shelter kit, bivi bag and sleeping bag. My goretex work boots stay in my truck so I could be fairly mobile if needed.
My truck is pretty well stocked at all times. I have a 2000w generator, 12 gallons of unleaded. Chainsaw and all the oils required, air compressor and the tools I've been using to build my pole barn.
I have two 7 gal Jerry cans of water that is for general use but is potable if needed.
I also keep an axe and a shovel, my climbing ropes and harness (which I've been using on the barn). I have 2 ton come-alongs and cables too.
The only weapons I keep in the trunk are an air rifle with 1000 pellets and a bayonet.

If there's an earthquake there will also be fire! Our whole city has natural gas to most homes.

Great point. Everyone should know how/where to turn gas or propane off.

Water would be a big issue for most. As is the case in Haiti.

I have recently purchased several options for storing and filtering water.
Lots of people under estimate the value of having water on hand. If you keep shelf reliant long term storage foods. You will need lots of potable water to cook or hydrate most all of it.

I'll be perfectly honest, I never thought of this possibility. Cars are outside so I would be ok on that front. But really, how much driving would be possible with the ensuing rubble and hordes of people on the roads? Not to mention the fires.

Historically, residential structure have faired very well during earthquakes. I am not worried about my house turning into a 5 foot tall stack of pancakes.

Come on Mark...you're not playing!:s0114:

I'm hitch-hiking to Playboys car!:D

Anybody want to go swimming? I have 17,000 gallons of salt water pool in my backyard...Guess I could clean it and help my neighbors with drinking water.
Great question though! I'm SOL...my house is 1" thick concrete/stucco...if it doesn't fall like a pancake it will certainly fall in a big pile!

Will

Come on Mark...you're not playing!:s0114:

Sorry, I guess I can't control the part of me has practiced structural engineering specifically dealing with seismic effects on buildings for the past 13 years. ;):D

Ok, ahem! Here we go... I'd build a small structure in the back yard with the remains of the house. Maybe a lean to type thing. I carry 24/7 so I'd have at least one gun. I'd dig out the safe and access the rest.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top