JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Look I don't want to get into a pssing match because I agree in alot of ways, I have owned a colt lightweight officers model, gov mod, and my own custom build before major manufactures started doing them, a gov 1911 match target. I love 1911's and all modern autos are based upon them, trigger and accuracy can be unsurpassed, but I went back to glock (yes plastic) because of utter reliability, modern double stack mags (that are near perfect, from the high strength steel lined mag, spring steel allows mags to be fully loaded and reliable for years I have tested this, and high capacity for defense), fits my hands almost as well as 1911's, and not to mention in say Glock, HK, or Sig, they are way over built. I suppose you could say the same for the 1911. But there is a reason why 1911's are not a preferred sidearm for most police or FBI around the country. For one, not enough capacity (for LE), finicky about ammo, and which model 1911 we talking here Kimber?, uh you can buy 2 Glocks for that! Think double yield! 1911 is by far prettier esp Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson, etc. But ultimately its all up to what you want, I know Glock is ugly, but works for me. 1911 works for you. If S*it really hits the fan, its my Glock, an AK-47, wife with the .357, and as much ammo as I can carry...LOL Just saying. BTW John Browning was a stud also think Win 94, Ma deuce, BAR, Browning auto 5, 1919, and so on! Course 50 cal is still in service which says a huge amount about his design!

yeah i just thought this was a discussion thread about our opinions of the "best" .45 acp....so that being said there really (imho) is no contest pissing or otherwise between a glock and a kimber.... ;) oh and cops get their firearms from the lowest contract bidder, mostly "made in croatia xd's" these days...love a glock, it goes bang every time, nasty trigger, not "the best"...love a sig, they make a nice 1911, not the "best" in my opinion but very nice...an HK will NOT pass a glock torture test, in fact mine failed to fire so i got rid of it, not "the best" .45 acp either...when there's a thread about "what .45 holds the most rounds", or "what .45 is the lightest", or even "what .45 do police use", only then would i put a poly DA pistol at the top of the list! just my .02 :D

I've got one 1911, a Springfield Loaded in stainless. It is pretty, it is accurate and it fits my hand well. That being said, I will never buy another 1911, ever. They are a pain in the arse to take apart for cleaning, and that is enough for me to stay away from them. I also own a Sig P220 Elite and FN FNP-45, both of which are of the same design. They are simple - lock the slide back, flip down the take down lever and then take off the slide. Could not be simpler. Both of these shoot well, and the FN has a double stack with a 15 round capacity. It is my SHTF sidearm (although the Sig is much prettier LOL)

The best .45 ACP is the Kriss..lol:s0155: Much more accurate than any handgun.:p

But in all seriousness whats best for me is not the best for the next guy/gal. Get some trigger time on some popular ones and then go from there.

new169.jpg

Is this a registered class III weapon? Because as far as I know its illegal to mount a VFG & stock on a pistol unless its a class III weapon...

ok...lets all just calm down a little... :) we all know there is no "best" or there would be only one option and we would not be having this conversation....when someone asks which is the "best"...that is very vague...i then assume they mean which shoots the best...i then have to give a nod to the single action, dont get it twisted i am not saying that there are no other great pistols out there...my SHTF set up is a vaquero & a marlin 1894 lever, both in .357...the wife gets a 10/22 and a ruger single six...personally i find it uber simple to use the mag or a stick to depress the recoil spring and turn the bushing off thus field stripping my 1911, and in doing so, while it may be a fraction slower than pulling a glock slide, i know there is no complicated trigger group or teeny tiny parts to break or lose. that is why i believe in the rugged, simple reliability, of the classics...you wanna work on a new toyota or an old 350? but that really isn't the topic, being easier to breakdown WASN'T the question...hey the glock feels better in my big hands too, but i dont think that makes it a better product...grunwald, which of the three shoot better? not trying to be a friggin harpie, it just seems that were going from "what is the BEST" and turning it into "which is the easiest to take-down, holds the most rounds, etc..." isn't it a fact that a hair trigger single action shoots better, feels better under the finger, shoots tighter groups and has less moving parts to time and springs to break? or did the missus put something in my coffee?:huh:

yeah toddt those parts will help for sure...i did those on my glock 30...also had to plug that hole in the butt of the grip where it catches your mags when youre trying to load it, grip extentions, match grade barrel, mepro light sights...still didnt do it for me :) different strokes for different folks...

yeah toddt those parts will help for sure...i did those on my glock 30...also had to plug that hole in the butt of the grip where it catches your mags when youre trying to load it, grip extentions, match grade barrel, mepro light sights...still didnt do it for me :) different strokes for different folks...
funny you say that factory Glock night sights, grip plug, allready have G22 Mags with Grip additions, oh yes and the dreaded 22 round Ultra High cap mag is on order as well haha! Its not a perfect gun but I can count on it. I also like my LCP, but its all a compromise sometimes. Your right its all about what you like and are comfortable shooting. If it were like cowboy days it would be an 2 8inch S&W 44 mag stainless revolvers all day long baby!

Btw was unsuccessful and grew impatient looking for I really wanted which was a G23C with cresents, and night sights. Someday I'll find one in good condition, guess I need to goto a gun show or 2 to find it.

G23c with gills rtf2 top.jpg

G23c with gills rtf2.jpg

Mine! :s0114:

I'm in the 1911 camp. I've owned several, but currently have 2 keepers. One's for show and play. It's a 60 year old Colt. But if it got down to it, I would carry this gun and be very confident that I had all of the gun I needed.
My EDC is a Dan Wesson CBOB and I carry it with absolutely no regrets about my decision. Accurate as all get out, extremely reliable and feeds everything.
My first 1911 was a Para P-12. Kinda settled the capacity debate right there and I did, in fact, buy it because it was high capacity. I've also owned a few other Colts; stainless Officers, Lightweight Commander, National Match. Every single one of them was a very good firearm, but I already had my "keepers".
As far as dis-assembly of the 1911 being a pain, I don't have an issue with it. Maybe it's not as "simple" as other designs, but it definitely is not all that difficult. Maybe it's just because I've been doing it for a while.
That said, I don't knock guys for having a different idea of what's best in their eyes, but don't think that you'll ever convince me I don't know what I like!:s0155:

Orygun, I would never presume to decide what is best for someone else. It's just like with cars. What car is best?? Some like a big sedan because they want comfort, others want a small econo-box because they want to spend as little as possible on fuel, and yet another guy loves his 4x4 jacked up pickup truck because he heads into the dirt every weekend.
That's the beauty of having a choice. We can pick what we like best. We can also espouse why we like it and really as long as we don't belittle the other guy, because his choice is different than ours, than it's just a good ol' conversation. Sort of like a bunch of guys sitting around the bar and talking up their ***** (whatever it might be).

yes sir.. I put my 05' STi through a couple rally schools, lots of auto-x and rally-x...even a mudpit. I loved that car...

Last edited by a moderator:
What has it to do with 45 acp? Do not get me wrong, I like the video. For a full size 45. S&W M&P is the best. Good for CCW in cooler weather. Fun at the range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top