JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd go with whatever feels best to you - best feel in hand, best trigger feel, etc. I'm partial to the 1911 in .45 but that feels best in my hand and has the best trigger feel for me. If I had always shot Glocks I might lean toward one of those because of the familiar feel of it. You might want to go to a local range that rents guns and try a few to see what you like. You might ask around here and see if someone in your area will meet you at the range and let you try out any of the .45s they may have.

When I was shopping for the same thing I considered the XD, the Glock 36 and the Smith & Wesson M&P. I chose the M&P .45 compact, hands down.
8 + 1 capacity and with the flat base mag it is the same height as the M&P compact .40 using the pinky ext mag. The size is comparable to the Glock 36 or 23, except the Smith has a 4" barrel vs the 3.78" barrel of the Glock 36. The extra length is generally not an issue to conceal. I could not find much in the way of after market support for the 36 either, where as the M&P and Xd have a pretty substantial following.
The real bonus for the M&P is the changeable back straps for the grip. It has a good ergonomic grip to begin with and by using one of the 3 different sized grips you can make it fit most any hand. At 27 oz empty w / mag it is not too heavy for EDC.
The Novak sights on the M&P are better than what you get on the Glock also.
I looked at the XD .45 compact but found it too wide and chunky and just too big overall, even though it has a great grip. I did not like the grip safety either.
If you want a manual sfety the M&P can be had with or without.
And like XD, you can use the higher capacity mags from the full size versions.
The M&P has been almost boring to shoot because it feeds everything I have fed it.
I can comfortabley carry the Smith all day in a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
R.D.

I'm closing in on the Glock 21 or a 1911. Although I haven't gone feeling yet either. I want an Advantage arms .22 conversion kit for my primary shooter.

I'm a die hard 1911 fan, but If I were to go with a different .45 it would probably be the XD or XDM. While I have not shot one, it feels better in my hand than the Glock. The grip angle is closer to a 1911.

I have a G23 & love it so that's why when I decided to get a .45 I went with the G21SF. It has a smaller grip which fits my hand very well but still holds 13+1 like the standard G21. I love mine!

1911 or a sig p220. I had a hk that was pretty nice but couldn't get used to it so I sold it for my sig p220 carry. I've never been fond of glocks as they just seemed like junk to me. As far as 1911s, there are so many different kinds that I'm sure you will find one that suites your needs.

Not sure if you're going for compact or not, if not, I can say that I love my Glock 21SF.

If polymer doesn't do it for you, Springfield Armory makes awesome 1911s. I have a custom Mil-Spec that is awesome, and I also have an SA Loaded Champion for CC.

Sig P220. I've had the P220 combat (sold it, regretted it!) but recently bought a P220, all stainless. I liked the P220 Combat, but I love the full stainless P220 -- the extra weight really softens the recoil, and it is really accurate.

DJM

I'm a fan of anything in 45, all of the pistols mentioned here are great guns. I have fired and owned most of them. My first .45 was a 1911, and I am still a huge fan, but since have moved on to double action, the sig220 and the EAA witness compact and standard are now my favorites, believe it or not I actually prefer the Witness, I have big hands and it fits and points wonderfully.

What are some good considerations for a .45acp in about the same size of a glock 23?
Their all full of it. S&W M&P 45 full size is so much fun to shoot. No braking it in. Right out of the box. Factory ammo or Reload. It makes you look good. The others can't do that. I have shoot reloads from light loads to +P. Reloaded brass that would jam most guns. Lead bullets from 185gr too 230gr. and hollow points. Good CCW at 29oz. At a good price.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top