JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one?

• OOW 1918 BAR

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • WL m53 (MG42)

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • UMP45

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Multiple C&R Rifles

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Save for a rainy day because im not physically addicted to purchasing firearms

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • TB M40a1

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other (post what)

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes and No.
Today $4000 will by what $1800 would have in 1986.
Also the guns once common to seen at gun shows, and on used gun racks. Are getting harder to locate. Are in worse average condition. And the remaining nice examples demand a premium. o_O

You never know what you will run into in your hunt for treasures, look at what this guy found and the response of his fellow treasure hunters.

Lone star antique arms convention waco, tx

If we had that to spend, there is a list.

Tavor X95 or 7, depending on if we could find a 7
Suppressor for 9 or 45, not sure which.
Threaded barrel for P226 and 1911 (x2)
Ammo, ammo, ammo.

I can well imagine that you are stoked to the max! Stupid question? Is it for shooting? :)

There are no stupid questions. ;) This one is not. This one is what I would consider a collector item. I have a different one that I take out and shoot.

I do know of someone that received theirs and have about 100+ rounds through it already. They've even stripped it down and sandblasted some of the polished areas that they didn't want polished. :eek:

FFCF764A-EA75-4F93-8411-4957EB342401.jpeg I have spent (according to my wife) 40,000 on gun's in the last 24 months. Don't remember that much but she is probably right. I commonly spend 4,000 per gun, mostly classic German sporting guns (2 Merkel's, a August Schuler,) but also have over 4000.00 in my FN SCAR 17s with Gentec muffler. I missed a great cannon I really wanted last week while in the hospital that would have been close to that and I really need another Barrett M82 that will exceed that number X2. A BAR would be fun (I brought one back from Europe 40 years ago) but it soon became boring and was sold in a few years. I am looking for an Oliver Cromwell period doglock that might be 4,000 for a good one.......something with game scene engraving from a classic builder is always hard to resist. You also need to send a portion to the organization or person of your choice that helps protect your gun rights.........a very important thing often overlooked.

Last Edited:
Hey I have a classic German sporting gun... a 1939 Mannlicher Shoenauer in 6.5X57
Unfortunately I have only shot it a couple times.... My FIL bought it a bit over 30 years ago for $1200 I have no idea what its worth so it sits in my safe

Hey I have a classic German sporting gun... a 1939 Mannlicher Shoenauer in 6.5X57
Unfortunately I have only shot it a couple times.... My FIL bought it a bit over 30 years ago for $1200 I have no idea what its worth so it sits in my safe
Very nice gun in a great caliber. Does it have double set triggers and a claw mount scope? Carbine or rifle? Any engraving? You need to shoot it........the caliber pales the new pop 6.5 Credmoor. Ammo is easy to either make or buy. 30 years ago 1200.00 would buy a tremendous rifle. The best of the best. I have a Steyr Manlicher Alpine carbine in 6.5X54 that has full coverage Oak Leaf engraving I bought 10 years ago for 1200.00 6 1/4 lbs, set triggers, shoots like a laser.

Last Edited:
I can't think of a single gun I'd be willing to drop that much $$ on. My M1A is my most expensive gun and that is about as much as I'm willing to spend on any gun. Honestly, if I had that much money, I'd probably dump most of it into retirement and use some for a suppressor. Just nothing out there I want for that kind of money.
You do not want to have your mind go through the same processes mine does... So many FALs, AKs, and retro ARs to have.... I have a disease. :(

I have seen these in person......pictures don't do it justice......that being said, I find the British guns overpriced in general to my German/Austrian gun's. My hand built (to my specification) Adamy rifle should be done later this year (3 year wait) it will be under 12,000 with 100% game scene engraving (that I chose) set triggers.....the best available.

You do not want to have your mind go through the same processes mine does... So many FALs, AKs, and retro ARs to have.... I have a disease. :(

If I won a huge lottery - the kind of lottery where I would never be able to spend it all, I'd probably invest in some higher-end toys to fill my new safe massive vault. Items like these:

IMG_44011-1024x682.jpg

The Cabot "Big Bang" pistol set - made from actual meteorites. Currently listed for $4,500,000

Cabot Gun | The Big Bang Pistol Set

Tough call. The best is probably save. But.... $4K won't buy an original 1918 BAR or MG42 and I like originals. The semi-auto replicas would be fun for a bit you can probably get more variety and bang for the buck by going for the multiple C&Rs. Lots of mechanically and historically interesting stuff to get into.

Or, save it add to it, and buy land in a free state.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews