JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which one?

• OOW 1918 BAR

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • WL m53 (MG42)

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • UMP45

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Multiple C&R Rifles

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Save for a rainy day because im not physically addicted to purchasing firearms

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • TB M40a1

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other (post what)

Votes: 18 30.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could go many directions on this, but I'll pick one from your list that is also on mine and go BAR, If I could find one of these (even a repro)all the better(not likely though they made very few) Colt Monitor
View attachment 427974
Since I know that will never happen... I think I would be nearly as excited to find one of these...Tops my C&R list.. Ya I have strange taste I know....View attachment 427973
A Remington Model 8 done up tacticool 1920s style. The gun that took out Bonny and Clyde.
It will be mine!
Or If I skipped the C&R section of my list... an Armilite .50bmg bolt gun, decent Optics/mount and a little ammo could be had right around 4 G's.
Ive seen the top one before, if only dreams came true. The model 8 however my father has one i havnt seen a mag that long on one. looks like a lot of fun was it police special?

Tough call. The best is probably save. But.... $4K won't buy an original 1918 BAR or MG42 and I like originals. The semi-auto replicas would be fun for a bit you can probably get more variety and bang for the buck by going for the multiple C&Rs. Lots of mechanically and historically interesting stuff to get into.

Or, save it add to it, and buy land in a free state.
Well if i were to buy land in a free atate ide need an mg42 nest to defend it:rolleyes:

It adds up in a hurry.

I just totaled up my MP5 project and came up just shy of $2700...including tax stamp.....and I figure that I still have $1000-1300 to go. Probably should have not pulled out the calculator. o_O

E
Yeah builds are another thing on the list. It looks like the wa laws were blown off so i could afford to wait on those. Its best not to think about the money that way you dont kick yourself later

Ive seen the top one before, if only dreams came true. The model 8 however my father has one i havnt seen a mag that long on one. looks like a lot of fun was it police special?
There used to be a guy that did detachable mag conversions for 8s and 81s, not sure if anybody does anymore. There's lots of descussion about why the 8 didn't see military service, but since it it's one of jbrownings more complicated designs(very much like an Auto5 with the actuating barrel) your average GI wouldn't be able to field strip. They were used by FBI and it is said that Frank Hamer took two shots with his...one at Clyde, one at Bonny, then sat on the fender of his car and lit a cigar while the rest of his posse unloaded on them, but it was those two 35 remington's from his 8 that killed them. History written by the victor and all that...

They are ugly, and beautiful at the same time... I want one!

How about an 03 A4... I think 4gs can get one
827E0D8B-8B81-4B3B-89B6-0EAD4DB4EA31-4443-00000721FF88CEFF_tmp.jpg

or maybe just an old British Enfield No 4 MK 1 (T) sniper kit
might need a little more than $4000 though
D8ED869C-376F-477C-A0E1-7DCA9219DA93-4443-000007282AA4C2A1_tmp.jpg

I coulda had something like these too... I spent well over 4 last year and didn't get any gun that was over $600.. although I built an AR that's got 2gs + in parts/accessories ... the accessories is where the bulk of the spending goes.
Supressors, Optics, Ammo, parts and tools all added up to way more than than what I spent on the guns themselves.

Very nice gun in a great caliber. Does it have double set triggers and a claw mount scope? Carbine or rifle? Any engraving? You need to shoot it........the caliber pales the new pop 6.5 Credmoor. Ammo is easy to either make or buy. 30 years ago 1200.00 would buy a tremendous rifle. The best of the best. I have a Steyr Manlicher Alpine carbine in 6.5X54 that has full coverage Oak Leaf engraving I bought 10 years ago for 1200.00 6 1/4 lbs, set triggers, shoots like a laser.

Yes it has the double set triggers but not the claw mount scope. It was brought back from WW2 and someone here put a side mount scope on it (probably took down the value quite a bit) has a Bausch and Lomb scope on it from the 40s or 50s

I sure wish he had not put the new but pad on it and tossed the original away (well at least I could not find it after he passed away :(

I took it to a gun dealer in Ca about 5 years ago and he had an "expert" on M.S rifles come take a look at it. HE said that it was a 1970's version and worth around $850 (I wasnt there at the time when he told my gun guy this or I would have told him he was full of -hit) it was made in 1939 as it has made in Germany on it instead of Austria as they normally are.

It was pretty accurate when I shot it but I was shooting my FIL's reloads and didnt sight in the scope.

I'd probably buy several guns for $4000, and a few of them would be C&R. I do have a couple needs for basic modern firearms tho, mostly magnums and carry guns.
A BAR would be pretty nifty if I happened upon one tho.

Yes it has the double set triggers but not the claw mount scope. It was brought back from WW2 and someone here put a side mount scope on it (probably took down the value quite a bit) has a Bausch and Lomb scope on it from the 40s or 50s

I sure wish he had not put the new but pad on it and tossed the original away (well at least I could not find it after he passed away :(

I took it to a gun dealer in Ca about 5 years ago and he had an "expert" on M.S rifles come take a look at it. HE said that it was a 1970's version and worth around $850 (I wasnt there at the time when he told my gun guy this or I would have told him he was full of -hit) it was made in 1939 as it has made in Germany on it instead of Austria as they normally are.

It was pretty accurate when I shot it but I was shooting my FIL's reloads and didnt sight in the scope.
It sounds to me like your gun is not a a Manlicher Schoenauer but a Manlicher style rifle made in Germany (Suhl would be common) the 6.5X57 is a common German Caliber. I think you might have an unrealistic opinion of the rifle's value. A common guild built gun from the late 30's might have had a 850.00 value 5 years ago. A very special rifle with a well known maker, an octagon barrel maby with a rib and some engraving might bring 4,000 today in exceptional condition. I have an Oberndorf Commercial Mauser rifle with double set triggers, a very fine stock and a tapered round barrel, an original claw mounted Ajax scope I bought about 8 years ago from a dealer for 250.00. I love the rifle but it might be worth 1500.00 today after I spent 600.00 in repairs at the smith. Off course, photos and a more complete description would help estimating the value. I have a dozen or so of them and study the market every day for nice rifles at a good price. In the late 30's the German smiths were building many ex military rifles into very fine sporters but they bring less on the market than an original commercial built gun. It tales someone with experiance to tell the difference between a commercial and military action. There are lots of pre war Mausers (probably what your rifle is) on Guns International that might give you an idea what the asking prices are. It would be fun to learn more about your rifle. In any event, they are wonderful sporting arms at any price.

Last Edited:
With 4,000 I could get a nice pre-war Mauser sporter in .30-06 , .8mm or .7x57mm with money leftover to cover plenty of ammo and extras...
Or Maybe a super fine Winchester pre-64 model 70 Super grade...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR