JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The three items I'll bring out of the car next time will be my CLS Bag, my Fire Extinguisher, and a seat belt cutting tool.

That should bring my grade to a B+ or an A-

Thank you, sir. As a Firefighter and EMT I can tell you that very few people will act and we always appreciate those who do (at least those who have enough common sense and training to not do more harm than good). It is always the first person there who has the chance to have the most impact and often simple, basic life support can tip the scale between life and death. Stopping the bleeding, keeping an airway open, spine stabilization and even CPR are things everyone should know how and be willing to do when the need presents itself.

Again, Thank you, sir. :s0090:

And yes we help everybody, Even those with "I'm with HER" bumper stickers.

Last Edited:
Witnessed a high speed car crash today; right in front of us!

Oncoming car (Red) "allegedly" crossed the double yellow and 7 boned the car (Chevy) in front of us.

Red spun two 360s, counter-clock and ended facing proper in his lane.

Chevy knocked off the road; rested on its passenger side in a ditch.

All on blind turns; I backed 60 feet for visibility and ran to the scene.

I ended up holding Chevy's head still (spinal management) until the EMT put the neck brace in place.

Red was bleeding badly and somebody took some speaker wire and used it as a tourniquet.

I left my combat lifesaver bag and fire extinguisher in the trunk of my wife's car...:confused:

C+

Thank you for stepping up and helping, you did more than many would do. It really is the difference between those that think of others or themselves first. I've watched plenty of folks stand by when they could be doing something, these days, they do so with a damn phone in their hand so they can record it.

I've been able to help in a few situations, medical, accidents, injuries, fights. It doesn't take a lot to step in where you can. For those with no first aid, etc., they can help direct traffic, make the call for help, or console the injured or family. The point is to step in and help your fellow man. As for me, I keep my First Aid/CPR/AED training current for my job as well as those other times.

I have no doubt most, if not all, the folks on NWFA would step in in these circumstances, just seems to be the kind of folks we attract, and that makes me feel good.

Last Edited:
@Oathkeeper1775 darn fine job!
I think your being a little hard on yourself: if c is average pull out your phone and film it human then you easily get a b+ or a-.

Hope if I'm ever critically injured that someone like you takes the initiative to help out.

Thank you for your service, you are a gentleman and scholar in my book!

C+ ?

You acted when you needed to. In my book that gives you the gentleman and scholar award. B- minimum. Good on you for doing what needed to be done in the heat of the moment.

YOU ROCK, @Oathkeeper1775 !
C+ my bubblegum - you get an A+ for showing up. Extra credit is your EDC knife for cutting seat belt, trauma kit, fire extinguisher....
Now, WTH is a "7 bone" accident?

But your English Teacher gave you a 'D' in spelling.
LOL, what a dick. :D Made me laugh hard, needed that this morning...

I'm always amazed at the crowds at this type of stuff that don't do anything until you look them in the eye and tell them what to doo_O
I've even had 911 services tell me over the phone, "don't do anything." o_O:confused::mad:
What has pissed me off is the gawkers driving by, rolling down their windows and calling out insults to the drivers in an accident.

Sometimes you can save them. And sometimes you cant.
Just slow down and do what you can. The rest is in Gods hands.

Anyways I tend to grade these things on a ''Pass'', ''Fail'', basis.

You did a great thing Oathkeeper. You definitely get a ''Pass''.
I hope your around when I get hurt.

You too Kruegl.

Last Edited:
This ^^^^

Also good on you for doing a self assessment / after action review
What went Right -
What went Wrong -
What might have/could have gone wrong -

AND for sharing here, so we might learn from this incident.

In training we were taught that crowd psychology is that someone needs to take charge/command. One person "could" act on his own or not, but two people almost guarantees that they won't. People with training are either action oriented or at least know how to overcome inertia.

My wife is a non-doer/non-participant, while I am just the opposite. One time we were traveling back to La Grande from Baker City on I84 West. I typically scan, so I was looking at a big rig and 40' van parked on the other side of the freeway when I saw an old Cherokee wagon disappear on the wrong side of the van. There was a huge cloud of dust and then the wagon came tumbling out in front. Rolled about six times. I expected to see bodies flying out the doors/windows. By the time I got pulled over and stopped I was way past the wreck site, but I put it in reverse and backed up with my wife asking what I was doing. Stopped again and started to get out, wife says not to cross the freeway and go over. USCG rescue instinct had kicked in and I went anyway. Fortunately when I got there, only minor injuries were notable. People both in the vehicle and sitting or laying outside, six of them. Nobody had had seatbelts on and yet nobody was ejected. I then bought me an old Cherokee to bomb around in the woods. No rollovers tho.

Yea, you have to look around when your out there.

We were in a turning lane about 8 cars back and when the light turned green everyone in front of me went around a lady with her head resting on the steering wheel!!!

I saw her and immediately jumped out of our car and went to her window. Thankfully she was having a massive panic attack and not dead.

We went and told her kid that was just finished with drivers ed what was going on (my wife stayed with the lady) and again, luckily, it was easy walking distance to her mother - I didn't want to seem like a creep that was trying to get a 15 year old girl in my car.

Wife had called 911 and everyone still just went around this lady without a second look. We waited till the pro's arrived (I actually had to chase them down because they got lost).

It's disheartening to see how much less people seem to care about others then when I was a kid. In fact recently I forgot I only had my driving lights on and was stunned to have someone curtious enough to blink their lights at me (very grateful but probably passed hundreds of cars and I was almost home....).

Oathkeeper: ... Sir, you are to be congratulated. You most likely saved lives by your actions and directions. You know only a small few fraction of the sheeple public could do what you did? Crowd dynamics are so hard to read and direct ... much less control. You did so. You definitely get an "Atta Boy" award! :) You are NOT a sheeple.

HB of CJ: ex FF, EMT, PM, RN. now retarded.

Last Edited:
Funny story about roadside rescues. Back in college, me and my team mates (rowing team) were headed to Madison, WI for winter training in their crew clubhouse. On I-94 Westbound, on the long downhill outside of Kalamazoo (this is flatland), sheer black ice. In Michigan, no one knows what black ice is. I see cars in the snow all the way down the hill, so I drop it to 2 (Chevy Caprice) and just coast the entire way down, navigating around the ones jackknifed in the lanes.
I pull farther ahead so not to get hit, and we start pushing cars out of the drifts. In the middle of the interstate infield, a woman and two babies (newborn and ~2 yo) are stuck in their small Jap car. Her car is up to its bumper in snow. We run up to her car (4 strapping guys, I'm the smallest by far at 6'-0"), she has a panic attack as we surround the car. We say, "we're going to get you out of here." Knowing that pushing was useless, we literally picked up the car, carried it to the side of the road, and set it down.

A "7" bone to me is: write a 7, top left to top right....

Red's L/F hit Chevy's L/F, then as Red spun Counter-clockwise, his R/F hit Chevy's driver's door....then continued spinning....a "7".

:cool:

Edit: thanks for all the supportive comments; while I've seen my + share of death and mishaps, I don't see stuff like this very often any more...good IMI.

...not one Firefighter, LEO, EMT,
or the tow-truck driver, asked the victims what their political affiliation was before deciding to perform their duties...as a public servant!

First Responders are the opposite of politicians.....

Gee, I hope I spelled everything correctly...:rolleyes:

We are all the same when we are in need. My wife and I have assisted at many accident scenes over the years. Being a former firefighter / EMT and her a nurse, we are a team. Grab reflective vests that are in the door pockets, grab the trauma kit. I just start barking orders, handing flares when appropriate, delegating traffic control , giving triage / size up over the phone.Don't ignore a nurse when she tells you to do something. Put down your gdamn phone videoing and do what I tell you to to help these people out. If not get the f out of the way and let us do what we need to do.

Last Edited:
If you wear shorts then keep something in the car/truck that you can kneel on.

Not first to pull over but first to get down on the ground to cut 2 young ladies out of an upside down car with glass all over the place.

I learned 2 things. 1, knees and glass = bloody knees lol. 2, it was one of the very few times I didn't have a knife on me and I had to ask the growing crowd who has a knife... won't ever be without one again.

Not first to pull over but first to get down on the ground to cut 2 young ladies out of an upside down car with glass all over the place.

I learned 2 things. 1, knees and glass = bloody knees lol. 2, it was one of the very few times I didn't have a knife on me and I had to ask the growing crowd who has a knife... won't ever be without one again.

Unless you are in a public place with metal detectors. :rolleyes: The Government doesn't want us to have knives in those "safe" places. They think knives are only weapons, never tools. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top