JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really guys, he was 15 when he did it. Stupid? Yes? Terrible consequences? Yes. But $36 MILLION to pay back? You guys really think his life should be ruined until the day he dies over this?
That's why I proposed a percentage-based work-off option. Better than he deserves, but it would give him a chance to become a productive member of society and learn a trade while also cleaning up his own mess.

No way thats going to stand on appeal anyway. He'd better get himself a decent lawyer. Put him in jail or give him a reasonable fine but don't make the rest of the guys life a living hell and ruin him. He'll be forced to live the rest of his life at or below the poverty level to avoid payments.

If the state ends up with $10K over the guys lifetime I'll be shocked.

Yes he made a very stupid mistake and should pay restitution and community service. Yes he should be appropriately punished

Should he spend his life in prison and owe millions of dollars no. For everyone who thinks this, read your constitution and check out the 8th Amendment.

Should his life be over NO.

A 36 million dollar fine tells me the Judge was siding with the tree hugging mob instead of actually following the oath he pledged.

Sorry, but the damage he caused will span decades, if not centuries. The punishment I suggested is light compared to what should really happen.

No, not really. There are hundreds of forest fires every year. Nature repairs itself rather quickly.

Look at Mt. St. Helens. Blew 38 years ago. And it's been green and flourishing with plants and wildlife for years.

Funny how people are suggesting worse punishments than those given to rapists and murders. I guess none of you who suggested those was ever 15 and did stupid things. I don't believe that this kid had any intention of starting a forest fire.

decades of irresponsible wild fire suppression turned the whole area into a tinderbox. He started the fire but he didnt make it into the mess it became.

A250AA43-89E3-400A-B6C5-29BFBBFF744E.jpeg
No, not really. There are hundreds of forest fires every year. Nature repairs itself rather quickly.

Look at Mt. St. Helens. Blew 38 years ago. And it's been green and flourishing with plants and wildlife for years.

Have you seen the north side of it!?
It's a baron wasteland.
Kinda.

Last Edited:
This little "brown stain" needs to see the inside of a jail cell for at least a decade while he's planting forests for the next sixteen years. When he gets out, he can spend the rest of his life working for the Forest Service.

I think this kid is an idiot, his probation/punishment was waaaaaay too light.
$36m is about right, but 1. He'll never have to pay a dime, 2. Even if he did they would be lucky to get $100k over his lifetime.

People lost their homes, animals lost their lives, and lets not forget the $10s of millions spent on fighting the wildfire, and rebuilding it.

He should have to do community service every weekend until he's 40 years old.

Make him (and his parents??) work fire crew every summer for a LONG time. Let him (them) get a real appreciation of what he did. Any restitution collected should go to those who lost their homes, property and businesses first.
And what about his accomplices?? Nary a word about any punishment for them. At least the one who videotaped the event and the driver of the car should get some consideration.

This little dipstick will get off with a "slap on the wrist". Watch everyone fawn over him and pat/powder his little white bum. They'll come up with a bunch of lame cock-and-bull psychobabble explanation of why the lad misbehaved. Sorry, I'm not buying this "poor child" crapola. The little "grunt cake" needs to suffer.

This little dipstick will get off with a "slap on the wrist". Watch everyone fawn over him and pat/powder his little white bum. They'll come up with a bunch of lame cock-and-bull psychobabble explanation of why the lad misbehaved. Sorry, I'm not buying this "poor child" crapola. The little "grunt cake" needs to suffer.

I wouldn't call $36 million a slap on the wrist. :rolleyes:

Make him (and his parents??) work fire crew every summer for a LONG time. Let him (them) get a real appreciation of what he did. Any restitution collected should go to those who lost their homes, property and businesses first.
And what about his accomplices?? Nary a word about any punishment for them. At least the one who videotaped the event and the driver of the car should get some consideration.

Agreed!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR