JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
They probably won't ever see a dime of it but it's absolutely the right decision IMO.

When you play with fire, there are bound to be consequences.

For one teenager, that consequence comes with the jarring price tag of $36 million.

On Monday, an Oregon judge ordered the boy, who pleaded guilty to starting the Eagle Creek wildfire last year, to pay $36,618,330.24 in restitution to cover the damages.

The teen said he tossed fireworks in the woods while hiking on Eagle Creek trail on Sept. 2, 2017, according to court documents obtained by CNN. One of those fireworks ignited the massive wildfire in Oregon, which burned more than 48,000 acres.

Teen who started fire that burned 48,000 acres ordered to pay $36 million - CNN

Man I don't know.......that amount seems absurd to me.

The average that a person earns in their lifetime is $1.4 million so even if they took every dime he ever earns it would only repay 4% of the judgment.....unless this kid is the next Bill Gates.

E

Man I don't know.......that amount seems absurd to me.

The average that a person earns in their lifetime is $1.4 million so even if they took every dime he ever earns it would only repay 4% of the judgment.....unless this kid is the next Bill Gates.

E

FEAC22F7-DB6A-44EB-BBBD-43296203EC82.jpeg

Fine by me. Actions should have consequences. It's obviously more symbolic than anything. However, I suspect he'll never actually work a day in his life. What's the point? At 18 he will likely get diagnosed with some sort of disability and we'll be paying him not to work for the rest of his life. Hell, he'll probably sue the state, and win, over emotional distress.

BTW, why would the fire marshal be awarded $1.6m?

That amount does seem unreasonably high for a person to pay back, but I'm down for "you break, you buy" so I think it's appropriate. Also appropriate is the fact that good behavior can get the outstanding amount forgiven after 10 years. Most of us know that having debt of any significant amount can drastically effect day to day life (stupid student loans :().

It is interesting to read/hear the reactions to this judgment. I wonder if some of the people that were initially wishing him bodily harm are now saying "36 million?!? That's not fair! He can't pay that back!"

I think him having that over his head for his entire life is a great thing. They should make him do PSAs as well and travel to schools. Make him the Smokey the bear of 2020.

He did something that a moron on his worst day should have known was stupid.

I'm a bit torn over the outcome of this. While I think it is absolutely imperative that the young man be held accountable for the devastating damage and putting his fellow man in danger, $36 million seems a little unrealistic to ask for.

Meanwhile, you have murderers and rapists getting 5 years in prison and then their debts are repaid.

He will be able to set up $5 payments a month for his whole life.

The down side is this will ruin his credit forever and hurt his career chances, buying a house etc.

He will never have the chance for a higher level of living then the bottom.

Idk if this is reasonable or not.

On one hand I did stupid stuff as a kid, a lot of the time I got lucky.

On the other hand he obviously needs to pay some kind of retribution. Personally I think 36 million hours of community service would be more productive and actually help the community more then this insane number he will never pay.

They'll be lucky to get a plug nickle. I'm all for reasonable punishment but this is just a publicity stunt. The kid will just be working under the table the rest of his life.

My thought is, why charge the kid that much? I mean, he'll never be able to pay it so what's the point?

let him plant trees. 100 trees per acre, 48,000 acres.

If he can plant 100 seedlings per hour for 8 hours a day that'll take about 16 years, 20 if he gets lunch breaks. That seems reasonable to me.

Usually very high fines like this are to scare other people into not committing the crime. But threats like that dont work on dumb-bubblegum teenagers who are trying to get laid.

let him plant trees. 100 trees per acre, 48,000 acres.

If he can plant 100 seedlings per hour for 8 hours a day that'll take about 16 years, 20 if he gets lunch breaks. That seems reasonable to me.

Usually very high fines like this are to scare other people into not committing the crime. But threats like that dont work on dumb-bubblegum teenagers who are trying to get laid.

That was my thought exactly, back when this first happened. He should be doing community service with the foresters and trail maintenace crews that are cleaning up his mess.

I'd say go the high-numbers "scare" penalty, but offer him the choice to work it off--say, each PSA he cuts knocks off 1%, a full day replanting knocks off 2%... just pulling numbers out of my arse, but you get the idea.

I think he was old enough to know what might happen in a tinder dry forest, yet he did it. The money won't happen but there is a small chance with all this publicity it'll keep some other goof-off from doing something stupid. That's the benefit I see.

He should be in prison until he's at least 30 and working in the forest to replant as many trees as he's able until his release. Then tax him for the rest of his natural life for this grievous crime.

This would be ample punishment (but it won't happen).

Really guys, he was 15 when he did it. Stupid? Yes? Terrible consequences? Yes. But $36 MILLION to pay back? You guys really think his life should be ruined until the day he dies over this?

Really guys, he was 15 when he did it. Stupid? Yes? Terrible consequences? Yes. But $36 MILLION to pay back? You guys really think his life should be ruined until the day he dies over this?

Sorry, but the damage he caused will span decades, if not centuries. The punishment I suggested is light compared to what should really happen.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top