JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I have had this rifle that I have been kicking around for a couple of years....

I really do like the setup... Recently got a nice optic on it... Its a Colt A2
carry handle upper with 16" hbar & MOE drop ins

BUT, my impulsive side has been thinking about ditching the carry handle upper and drop in magpuls and going with a free float rail.

Pros: Able to use the same optic as I currently run, MAYBE improved accuracy, non-retro 'tacticool factor'
Cons: Rifle is perfectly fine as is... I do like the A2 carry handle rifles... I can hit what I want to hit as it is.

So, all I really, realistically want this rifle to do is ring an 8" gong at 200m... I can shred a pie plate at 100m all day long as it sits.
Its not a competition rifle, though if I ever had time I would love to do a 3gun match... whatever.
I want it to shoot recreationally and also be able to eliminate two legged threats within 200m.

SO.... is there REALLY any real benefit to free floating? For someone in my position?

Cost isnt an issue... The Colt A2 upper would sell and finance the new handguard, etc.

Im looking for opinions based strictly on performance, etc.

Also looking at getting a Magpul UBR stock for it.
WP_20180123_00_14_00_Pro.jpg

That one in the pic looks like it was a nice A2 that did the Barbie dress-up thing.
I would get that optic off the carry handle (just restore the A2) and put it on your next build.
Arfcom has a sub-forum that will show you what an A2 (or XM177) is supposed to look like.
XM177 forgery (similar to what some GI's actually carried)
xm177vn7.jpg

That's right, just build another one the way you want it.
(and please no civilian 16" carbine gassers)

I have a nice Aero Precision receiver set at NWCF that I might let go cheap.

Last Edited:
Check out Palmetto State Armory upper deals or just search for uppers. I got a Radical Firearms upper I've been happy with that. For the cost of a rail, tools, parts you can get the whole setup. Reuse your bolt/charging handle.

Last Edited:
I agree build or buy another upper.:p As for float tubes I have installed
YHM float tubes. Quality at a reasonable price. Extended float tube over
low profile gas block with flip up front sight on end of float tube.:) I like Rock River
uppers not the cheapest but well made.;)All Products | PK Firearms

Shouldn't have ANY problems ringing steel far beyond 200 with your current setup.

If'n it was mine I'd remove the optic, replace furniture etc.

That's one fine rifle you've got, friend!

Yeah I'd build another upper to put the optics and free float on. If you buy a new upper receiver and rail you'll probably end up with a second compete upper eventually anyway. Depending on your eyesight, a man sized target at 200 with the iron sights should be doable.

If you sign up for palmetto state armory daily email they have sales on uppers all the time. They have a 16 or 18 inch stainless steel with a 13in rail complete upper all the time for round three hundred bucks with a bolt and carrier. And sometimes they will have it without the bolt and carrier for around 200.

I'm leaning towards just building another upper.

I think it is my gun nut impulse and wanting another project..... But weigh that against already having a few uppers built that don't have their own lowers....

I suppose one can't have too many..

IMO free-floating is useful for two, maybe three things:
  1. Improved accuracy potential if you shoot long distances
  2. They handle heat better. They won't melt like the plastic hand guards if you need to go mag dumps, and most of them have plenty of venting to help the barrel stay cooler
  3. In some cases they can be lighter than the delta ring and hand guard combination
The biggest disadvantage is that most aren't able to support a front sight as solidly as an A-Frame or other gas block based front sight.

Trust me, don't free float. You should always tie a restraining string to it first if you
want it back....
.... When you toss an AR into a river or lake, they'll sink like stones!
This must happen to a lot of guys, because I often read their sorrowful posts on sites like this, complaining about losing all their guns in a river or lake.:eek:

Last Edited:
So, all I really, realistically want this rifle to do is ring an 8" gong at 200m... I can shred a pie plate at 100m all day long as it sits.
Its not a competition rifle, though if I ever had time I would love to do a 3gun match... whatever.
I want it to shoot recreationally and also be able to eliminate two legged threats within 200m.

SO.... is there REALLY any real benefit to free floating? For someone in my position?

free floating is generally done to increase precision, but isn't always the solution. From what I see in your pic, I don't see any reason you cant ring an 8" gong at 200m. What is your group size your getting at 100, from a rest?

So, all I really, realistically want this rifle to do is ring an 8" gong at 200m
Free floating a barrel is not necessary for this. People do it with non-free floating barrels all the time. I can do this with an AK easy with its crude iron sights and non-free floating barrel.

You can also do matches without a free-floating barrel, a free-floating barrel just helps take out operator error. Its the Indian, not the arrow.

I have no trouble as is achieving the performance I want.
it was more of a want than a need on freefloating, since I've never had one.

I went ahead and cannibalized a couple of rifles and the parts bin... And a low end keymod rail...
WP_20180127_00_13_59_Pro.jpg

problem solved:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews