JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a very nice Aero Precision 14.5" upper with an m-lok handguard. I took the day off and was excited for to put together a new build. My plan was to change out the m-lok handguard for a Midwest Industries handguard, but then I ran into this (see photo). This is part of the upper and cannot be removed (!)

Do all free float m-lok handguards have this? Can someone recommend a free float upper that *does not* have this feature, can be taken apart with a standard armorer's wrench, and will accept an aftermarket free float handguard? I see PSA is running some deals on uppers.. I am now going to have to sell my Aero Precision upper at a loss and this "fun" budget build has become more expensive and time consuming than I wanted.

Many thanks in advance.

aero precision.jpg

It's an M4 E1 upper, so you have to run a compatible handguard.

M4E1 Specific Details:
Handguard mounting platform is forged into the receiver
Compatible with Aero Precision Enhanced and Quantum Series handguards but also fits most BAR-system handguards
Barrel nut and wrench are included
These uppers are not piston-kit compatible
Will support barrels with a diameter up to 1"

It's an M4 E1 upper, so you have to run a compatible handguard.

M4E1 Specific Details:
Handguard mounting platform is forged into the receiver
Compatible with Aero Precision Enhanced and Quantum Series handguards but also fits most BAR-system handguards
Barrel nut and wrench are included
These uppers are not piston-kit compatible
Will support barrels with a diameter up to 1"
I think if you're not familiar with free floated uppers that info is confusing. It makes it sound like it fits many types of handguards.

That is their proprietary barrel nut (most handguards are these days). I would purchase their barrel nut wench to remove it. It looks like you have use one of their handguards and if you are there is no reason to remove it unless you want to confirm whether they used AEROSHELL 33MS or not (get some if you don't have some and intend to replace the barrel nut).
https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-barrel-nut-wrench

Handguard mounting platform is forged into the receiver, just one more reason I'll never buy one of these uppers.

Last Edited:
Many free float handguards come with their own barrel nuts. The M4E1 is a good system and I'm wondering why you don't want to stick with the handguard that came with it. I have one and just replaced my Faxon Gunner Barrel with a Ballistic Advantage 223 Wylde barrel. Let me know if you want to borrow the wrench for that upper.

Seekins Precision has the BAR style handguards. I believe Spikes Tactical also uses that style.

That's why I always buy Anderson receivers, both uppers and lowers. Maximum flexibility; but then again, all my builds are military clones. Yeah, I'm not into 'hollywood' guns.
Same. All my builds are clones or close approximations.

Many free float handguards come with their own barrel nuts. The M4E1 is a good system and I'm wondering why you don't want to stick with the handguard that came with it.
I'm just used to KAC/quad rail style from my other ARs. It's use either those or the plastic USGI grips. I shoot them well and see no reason to change.

Which one? They about 50 different ones. You'll need a different upper.
It was the MI free floated 2-pcs quad rail, that comes with its own nut and wrench. You will see it in the classifieds soon.

Looks like I do need another upper. I think I'm going to keep the Aero upper for now and just see how it shoots, maybe it will grow on me. I wish I had more time to research everything thoroughly. I could have avoided this $400 mistake.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this later. The Aero Precision M4E1 has two options for upper receivers. You can get their Threaded version which will work with pretty much all standard handguards. The links shared say this, but figured I'd point out that this is specifically the Enhanced version which only works with their Enhanced and Quantum Series handguards.

@Aero Denezol incase you haven't looked into it, you can always pick up an M4E1 Stripped Threaded upper for around $100 and just swap over the parts. You'll be out another $100, but you could probably sell the Enhanced Upper for a similar price. Aero doesn't sell those stripped so someone might be happy to jump on the slight savings that doesn't mind picking up a forward assist and dust cover.

When I building ARs, I bought both an Aero stripped lower and upper receiver. I was using standard AR barrel nut and as put Troy M-LOK hand guards on. I had to buy the dust cover door and a FA as well. I had to get the timing right on the gas tube but it wasn't that hard to do. I did one build that used an stripped Aero lower and upper and I bought an relatively inexpensive mid-western hand guard that included a own barrel nut and an included wrench that I put my torque wrench. It gave instructions on much torque to tighten the barrel nut. A lot less that a standard barrel nut.

Propriety uppers, more so than free float. Yes this is meant to be used with their rails to free float a barrel, but I'd call it a proprietary upper over a free float upper as it is limited to their rails/hand guards.

What you have is a proprietary version of the Aero uppers available. They are proprietary for a certain selection of rails they make. You can buy these rails for regular uppers but not regular rails for this upper as it is proprietary in the rail it is made for.

Like others have said, a regular upper will allow you to use the Midwest industries rail you bought, this would not. Part of doing business with Aero I guess if your not aware they make proprietary parts.

Yeah I didn't know they made a threaded and a non-threaded version. For all the ARs I've owned this was the first free-float project I attempted to customize myself. Bit of an expensive lesson.

FWIW the upper appears to be very well made and of high quality.

Yeah I didn't know they made a threaded and a non-threaded version. For all the ARs I've owned this was the first free-float project I attempted to customize myself. Bit of an expensive lesson.

FWIW the upper appears to be very well made and of high quality.
Aero makes good stuff. Though uppers don't need much, theirs are nice. They do have a lot of proprietary lines though that can be difficult to match aesthetically with other brands, from which I bet they decided to double down on by producing a purely Aero only upper.

I thought about getting one of their enhanced uppers as I liked the idea of extra rigidity, but I don't like how massive they are. May float some peoples boats but the threaded option kept options for handguards wide open and I really like the look and feel of the M4E1 Upper and Lower combo. I have 2 of them already but am really tempted to go with a PWS lower next time. Has all the features I like about the Aero M4E1 but comes with a nice ambi bolt catch/release that seems way better than manually cutting for the PDQ. Also 1 oz weight savings 😅

1679089650123.png 1679089152307.png
I think the only reason to get a proprietary upper is if you're going to get a piston system like the PWS, Sig MXC, LMT, etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top