JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Weird question: can anybody recommend a discreet tailor in the Portland, or Seattle areas who would be comfortable measuring me and tailoring a suit in a size "suit"able for IWB carry? Anybody ever have this done, regardless of your area? I would travel a bit for this.

Weird question: can anybody recommend a discreet tailor in the Portland, or Seattle areas who would be comfortable measuring me and tailoring a suit in a size "suit"able for IWB carry? Anybody ever have this done, regardless of your area? I would travel a bit for this.
The wife recommends Nordstrom.

If you are worried, just tell them its for a colostomy bag for upcoming surgery and you'll need extra room but don't want to go up in size for everything else and look baggy.

I went to Nordstrom to have my suit fitted for the same reasons and it worked out great. The guy I worked with was familiar with police officers who needed stuff fitted for the same reasons, so he knew what I meant.
Also, I made sure the suit jacket was cut with the single cut in the rear as opposed to the two cut flap that some like to minimize exposure.

I would think most professional tailors would have no problem with it, unless you were creepy about it.

Men's Warehouse always took good care of me when I was still wearing suits to work. The tailors didn't care what or why I wanted certain adjustments. Most preferred I wear my EDC, including mag pouches for the fitting.

It's not like you are doing anything illegal or even odd.

I have yet to meet a tailor that would not be comfortable fitting around a gun and mags. You could always bring your holsters and mag carriers with a Blue gun in it.
Or if going pocket carry go with a leather pocket.
If you are wearing your gear they can get you a good fit that covers well. DR

Fairly common thing to want to do.

Finally, when altering your suit, you should aim to create one to two inches of extra room around your waist. You can achieve this by letting out the fabric near the waist seams. Bring your jacket to a tailor and have them do it for you. Or, if you buy your suit from a place like Nordstrom, they might be able to do it while they are hemming, taking in the pants, or altering the cuff (all of that is usually free of charge). Another small alteration that pays huge dividends, is having small thin weights or washers sewn into the inside of the front bottom corners of your suit jacket. Not only does it keep your jacket from blowing back and revealing your weapon, but it increases your draw speed by allowing you to move the jacket out of the way faster. It's not absolutely necessary, but it is nice to have.
But I no longer wear suits, so no experience with the process.

I am actually really impressed with the number of good informative responses this has gotten. I sort of expected a lot of "be a man, wear a Glock in 5.11 pants to every event because you live to carry " sort of responses. I am looking into the various options listed above, thanks a lot and keep them coming!

I have yet to meet a tailor that would not be comfortable fitting around a gun and mags. You could always bring your holsters and mag carriers with a Blue gun in it.
Or if going pocket carry go with a leather pocket.
If you are wearing your gear they can get you a good fit that covers well. DR
This is really good advice to make sure the tailor is ok with it, thanks for that! I hadn't considered some of those options.

Inquire of having a leather patch added to the area where your carry piece sits, really helps dissipate any printing and saves major wear on an otherwise expensive suit!, especially with large/sharp pieces! I don't wear a suit much these days, but I have a ton of experience wearing a gun in unfriendly areas where printing would get you arrested or worse, so anything you can do here will really help!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top