JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are stipulations, aren't there. I'm one to agree, that to pursue something of that nature is a huge undertaking for financial risk.
No one knows anyone here, which is understandable. That's the part of forum relations. We can come across buddy-buddy friends all day long. Where it goes is a personal approach. No different than meeting someone on the streets.

Personally, I would enjoy meeting some I've exchanged chats with here.

Agreed!

But...

The logistics of the money is the issue. Someone has to pay for the entire shipment on delivery unfortunately.

Most people don't want to trust someone they only know online with hundreds of dollars and then have to wait until we have enough people wanting to buy enough ammo that we can place the order . Obviously the more we buy the cheaper it gets.

I'd jump on it in a second if I had the 30-40 thousand dollars to front something like this, as you could always find someone wanting a smoking deal on ammo.

A group buy would be great, and I would be in on one for sure. But I agree these are major problems. Which is probably why there aren't any group buy threads floating around. It would be nice if you could tie it to an event. Say, one of the monthly-ish clean-ups. Have the clean up organizer handle the money, make the purchase, you come to the clean-up, you clean-up, you get your ammo and your food, enjoy an afternoon of shooting with the group.

I'm a long ways away, but with enough lead time, could partake. The thought alone is a HUGE undertaking, not to mention, a risk

Risk is a key issue.

Even with that kind of a deal that I got I had to drive to Tacoma and offered to pick up for others in the PDX area. I got one person that followed thru.

Also the organizer had many people bail at the last min as is normal with people these days I guess.

I tried to convince my wife to free up the funds for a new rifle. She sniffed out my intentions very quickly. It turns out that a surprise manicure/pedicure, is not the correct way to approach this scenario. :(

View attachment 288052

I was looking to grab a new savage .308, but I don't think that will be happening now. So, I ask you, what tactics Have you employed to feed the habit?
BUSTED!!!

i was kind of set up well before we got married... her dad told me after we got married that he told her when we first started dating: "Dont try to change him, hes going to continue to buy guns and he will be away hunting in aug,sept, oct so dont plan anything then"

its been great so far!

:p

however, i do keep things within reason. I always contribute to our savings accounts before i save up for a gun. We have a 2yr old now and i understand its hard to manage everything when im away. take care of a kid, linfield nursing school and 20hrs of work a week at Starbucks keeps her very busy. im gone maybe 15-20 days between bow and rifle season.

For several years I bought and sold all the time...guns, ammo, and accessories. But each and every time, I put small amounts of extra cash with the proceeds of a sale and bought up. Years and thousands of (hidden) dollars later, I've got everything I need. I don't want to sell anything anymore so I'm going to have to go a lot slower for the next few years to add to my wants.

Basically I can't tell her anything, though, because she is even bugged when I spend $20 and 160 rounds on a USPSA match.

But love just requires creativity and a little duplicity.

I'm kinda lucky in this respect. More than once my wife has suggested I go out and buy a gun.

I think she also looks at it as a capital investment. It's a lot better way to spend money than on going out for dinner and other such things - at least you have the gun at the end, and something to sell if necessary.

She seems to think I have enough now, though. Hard to argue that... ;)

I'm kinda lucky in this respect. More than once my wife has suggested I go out and buy a gun.

I think she also looks at it as a capital investment. It's a lot better way to spend money than on going out for dinner and other such things - at least you have the gun at the end, and something to sell if necessary.

She seems to think I have enough now, though. Hard to argue that... ;)

You just need another safe then;)

I think my wife really likes the positives that you mentioned. Getting out into the woods, getting some exercise, getting out of her hair. That is one of the great things about this hobby, it touches on many different aspects of life. I just told her I need one more quality rifle, and a shotgun. Then I am good for a little while.
The problem is, she doesn't see the difference between my .30-30 lever action brush rifle, and the .308 bolt action rifle that I want to purchase. I think that is the speed bump at the moment.

Well, tell her, sweetly, that there are two choices! One, she takes your word for it! Two, she starts joining you in your hobby/passion and learns for herself!
Actually there's a third choice, but I haven't stayed married for 45yrs by using it very often!:)

Well, tell her, sweetly, that there are two choices! One, she takes your word for it! Two, she starts joining you in your hobby/passion and learns for herself!
Actually there's a third choice, but I haven't stayed married for 45yrs by using it very often!:)
I have been thinking about getting her a .22 but I don't want to force her into a hobby. That's the last thing I want to do. She doesn't seem too interested. I thought about buying a CZ 75, and buying their .22lr conversion slide/barrel. That way we could shoot the same exact gun, and she could move up to 9mm if she wanted to, without changing guns.

Have separate accounts!

I never told my wife a word about buying guns, I would sneak them in when she was at work or something.

There was an ackward moment when I got a bigger safe in the garage and I made several trips from the bedroom safe and closet to the garage. After the 3rd trip she started on the comments.
:)

I have been thinking about getting her a .22 but I don't want to force her into a hobby. That's the last thing I want to do. She doesn't seem too interested. I thought about buying a CZ 75, and buying their .22lr conversion slide/barrel. That way we could shoot the same exact gun, and she could move up to 9mm if she wanted to, without changing guns.

My wife will go shoot with me (she had never been when we got together and I took her for my 18th with my new Marlin 60 I just bought that day) but prefers not too.

She just doesn't get what I get out of it. I sometimes wish she would be more into it but honestly, it gives me something to do out of the house and frees up some time for her to do stuff without me.

By all means get a .22 or conversion, it's good plinking fun when you can get ammo but I would just stick with it and gently start to drop suggestions that y'all have a range day together or something (maybe while your in the middle of the home and garden expo:D).

Best of luck either way;)

This thread is funny! It is almost becoming a "You know you're a gun nut if..." thread.

For me, when I had to start lining my closet floor with 50mm ammo cans because my 2 safes were no longer big enough, I knew. And most of that stuff was not purchased with the express knowledge and "permission" of my wife. She has to know because I certainly don't hide the hoard. I guess it is don't ask don't tell like others have suggested works for them.

My wife will go shoot with me (she had never been when we got together and I took her for my 18th with my new Marlin 60 I just bought that day) but prefers not too.

She just doesn't get what I get out of it. I sometimes wish she would be more into it but honestly, it gives me something to do out of the house and frees up some time for her to do stuff without me.

By all means get a .22 or conversion, it's good plinking fun when you can get ammo but I would just stick with it and gently start to drop suggestions that y'all have a range day together or something (maybe while your in the middle of the home and garden expo:D).

Best of luck either way;)
I think I will pick up a 75 p-01 and then get her the conversion. I will have fun with it either way. The only problem is what gun do I get rid of to make some room in the safe. I think I'll have to part ways with my sig p320 :(.

This thread is funny! It is almost becoming a "You know you're a gun nut if..." thread.

For me, when I had to start lining my closet floor with 50mm ammo cans because my 2 safes were no longer big enough, I knew. And most of that stuff was not purchased with the express knowledge and "permission" of my wife. She has to know because I certainly don't hide the hoard. I guess it is don't ask don't tell like others have suggested works for them.

Haha that sounds about right! I have two guns outside of the safe right now, (leaning up against it). My wife said I am supposed to buy a new safe before I buy anymore guns. But that means I have to save much more money than a new gun costs, and that is hard. Luckily, I know a guy that can find me a good deal on a safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top