JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In an effort to suppress my negative attitudes, I am rethinking my view of beggars. I normally look on them with extreme disdain, scum of the earth type feelings. Now I am thinking I should try giving them some help with the belief that one or more of them is actually hungry. I have no intention of giving out any money but might keep some package food items in the car in case I see an especially needy looking beggar. What inexpensive packaged food items would you suggest under 50 cents per package cost? Top ramen, peanuts, cracker 6 packs, etc.

About 12 years back I moved out of state for a while, I had several bags full of canned food I did want to pack so was going to donate to food bank but saw a group of homeless, I figured what the hell I give it to them. A few hours later I drove back by and there was opened and empty cans, torn bags just garbage everywhere. Mind your there where three cans garbage within eyeshot. Fcvk those scumbags, I wouldn't give them the peanuts out of my s**t.

Saw plenty of homeless squalor when I drove, bicycled and bussed into downtown Portland for years.

I don't know how people live in established camps (groups of tents, etc.). But those who simply crashed on scraps of cardboard in parking lots under bridge ramps had no visible means of preparing food beyond opening pizza boxes, ripping bags of chips and popping the tops of energy drinks. The litter from that was usually strewn in a 10-20' radius around the "campers," all in the course of a day. So, I'm not sure what function ramen or other unprepared foods might serve except to feed the rats that were always present, and not terribly shy about coexisting with humans.

I'm not trying in to be judgmental in any way. This was simply my daily observation until I retired in 2017. I have no reason to believe it might have changed since then.

Last Edited:
Good luck with that.

I used to give folks my left over lunch items. An apple, orange, granola bar, etc etc type of stuff.
It was usually pretty well received. That changed about 5-7 years ago. Often it was refused and sometimes it got downright dirty when i offered food. I once had to deter a scumbag from damaging my vehicle with the threat of deadly force.

Proceed at your own risk.
Not to be the negative nancy but you may find that your disdain for the ferals actually becomes worse.

Last Edited:
In an effort to suppress my negative attitudes, I am rethinking my view of beggars. I normally look on them with extreme disdain, scum of the earth type feelings. Now I am thinking I should try giving them some help with the belief that one or more of them is actually hungry. I have no intention of giving out any money but might keep some package food items in the car in case I see an especially needy looking beggar. What inexpensive packaged food items would you suggest under 50 cents per package cost? Top ramen, peanuts, cracker 6 packs, etc.
Tried that once. Gave a bum a sandwich I got at a store and as I pulled away I saw him in my rear view mirror as he threw it into the field about 20-25 feet behind him. A few days later he was interviewed on tv about panhandling. He said something along these lines. We don't need food we need money for beer weed and smokes. He then commented that if you ever went hungry in this town with all the giveaways and handouts you have something wrong with you. I never give any of them a red cent, and never will. We donate to a shelter for battered women that helps them start over and get back in the workforce again. The government has too many handouts now for homeless. We help those that want a better life for themselves and their kids.

Living in a small town we know who needs help or not, so if we leave a restaurant with a to go box we are likely to give it to someone who is in a bad way. Doing so makes a guy feel better, IMO.

I think the majority of what you describe would be panhandlers looking for cash to exchange for items other than food. I have more appreciation for the panhandler / beggar who is honest enough to simply state the money is for alcohol... I have came out of the grocery store and offered to give a bag of fresh oranges to a panhandler, only to be declined and asked for cash.
Occasionally an honest person who has simply had misfortune can temporarily find themselves in such a situation, but they are the exception and as usual, people abusing a system make it difficult for someone who needs help.

Last Edited:
I got suckered a few years ago when a girl had a kitten and was asking for food down by the bus stop near the Nike store. I bought her a bunch of kitten food from the Target and gave her some cash.
I saw her two days later with a different cat. I wanted to take the cat away from her and push her in front of the street car.

I got suckered a few years ago when a girl had a kitten and was asking for food down by the bus stop near the Nike store. I bought her a bunch of kitten food from the Target and gave her some cash.
I saw her two days later with a different cat. I wanted to take the cat away from her and push her in front of the street car.
I had a similar experience where a female was soliciting cash in a large parking area, claiming she was from out of town, had run out of gas, was trying to get enough to get home. Trying to get $5 from10 people ect. ..
A week later I ran across her giving the same speech, I told her what I thought of her.

I had to go into Salem after work yesterday and saw a bum on Lancaster holding a sign that said "I'd rather ask for help than steal", I thought that was a good thing to say, hope he meant it.

I never give anything to any of them. Not even the time. Complete non engagement. Too many times I've seen the same beggar using the same tired excuses on their signs and one time when I gave a beggar money, he looked at it and said "that's it?" So that was the end of my generosity. The taxes that are stolen from my paycheck are supposed to be fixing this problem, right?

I had to go into Salem after work yesterday and saw a bum on Lancaster holding a sign that said "I'd rather ask for help than steal", I thought that was a good thing to say, hope he meant it.
Try finding a job you useless turd, then you won't have to do either. Let me make it clear, no one owes you a damn thing, you want something...go earn it or FOAD.

About 12 years back I moved out of state for a while, I had several bags full of canned food I did want to pack so was going to donate to food bank but saw a group of homeless, I figured what the hell I give it to them. A few hours later I drove back by and there was opened and empty cans, torn bags just garbage everywhere. Mind your there where three cans garbage within eyeshot. Fcvk those scumbags, I wouldn't give them the peanuts out of my s**t.
The corn either?

Try finding a job you useless turd, then you won't have to do either. Let me make it clear, no one owes you a damn thing, you want something...go earn it or FOAD.
In another life I was often at the point of ending up out on the street broke a, lot. Always wanted work but at times it was rough. Took the bus as I had no car. Main hub was down town part of the city. So would be going from one bus to the next. Often would be stopped by someone. Common line was they were on their way to CA for work and were hungry. If I was flush, I would offer to buy them food at one of the eateries that were all over. This was always declined, some times not very politely. ONE time a guys face lit up, he said are you serious? Said yes follow me. Little eatery there, we walk in, I ask hamburger and fry's sound good? He again lit up. I ordered the food and a drink, paid, told counter lady give it to him when its done and paid. That guy thanked me a LOT. Felt good both knowing I helped someone who wanted help, and that I knew the rest were just scum.
Flash forward many decades and now its almost all druggies looking to buy drugs. There is still a TON of work going begging. 99% of the begging want to live as they do and they are welcome too it. They are not getting my money other than what I get taken by taxes that goes to them 🤬

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top