Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tactics to feed the habit

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oregon13, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Oregon13

Oregon13 Scappoose Active Member

I tried to convince my wife to free up the funds for a new rifle. She sniffed out my intentions very quickly. It turns out that a surprise manicure/pedicure, is not the correct way to approach this scenario. :(

image.jpeg

I was looking to grab a new savage .308, but I don't think that will be happening now. So, I ask you, what tactics Have you employed to feed the habit?

2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hi Hon, I bought a new gun!
    Yeah, I know I have too many! That's kind of too bad, isn't it?:cool:

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

As a man who has been successfully married THREE times and owns 31 different firearms (thereabouts I think), I offer you the following advice on methods to help you achieve your goal.

Start leaving the toilet seat down AFTER you've gone pee... at least until you've accuired your Savage.

Constantly compliment your wife. Tell her how beautiful and smart she is, and that you appreciate everything she does.

Help around the house with the domestic chores: dishes, folding laundry, vacuuming, picking up after yourself (and any kids you may have), maybe clean up the floor around the toilet after you've "splashed" it.

Buy the rifle for HER as a surprise "gift" and let her shoot that .308 with as skinny a butt pad as possible. She'll only do it once (unless she's a roller derby queen and likes the rough stuff), then you can say it can't be taken back or sold off easily because of the new UBC laws in Oregon.

Declare that YOU'RE the MAN around your house and she's not the boss off you, and you'll do as you darned well please!

5a.
    Quickly apologize for tactic-5 and having lost your temper and, claim temporary insanity!

Just buy the Savage under the theory: "it's easier ask for forgiveness than it is for permission".

Beg and plead.

Whichever one (or combo thereof) you implement just remember these SIX MAGIC WORDS that will save your marriage:

I'm sorry honey, I was wrong.

The best part is that NO MATTER WHAT, you can ALWAYS have the last word under ANY circumstances by saying, "Yes Dear".

Seriously though, after having said all that, my wife is the first to say that I work hard for the money, and she has no problem whatsoever with me buying the stuff I want as long as the bills and other obligations are taken care of.

DAM, I married good... on the third time! :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Mikej, Dreams of Steel, Joe13 and 5 others like this.
  4. Sgt Nambu

Well......I've been married for 45yrs and you have to train them!
    I withhold sex!:)

Logan Wilson, Joe13, nammac and 4 others like this.
  5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yeah, that'll show 'em (and leave them crying in the isles)... especially during their menopause cycle. o_O

NOT! :rolleyes:

:D

6. Sgt Nambu

Well.....I'm kind of purdy!:D

7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

You have to have a fund that is yours. Put a little aside each paycheck, give up Starbucks or beer or whatever. Pick up cans on the side of the road, sell stuff on Craigslist. Mow the neighbors lawn for $10, have a garage sale, sell your plasma, repair somthing for someone and give them a good deal, sell your brass, put it on layaway or barter, grow a garden, buy a freezer tell her you're going to put meat in that thing with your new .308 buy a reloading press, the more self reliant you are, the more obtainable the toys are.

8. Oregon13

Great options! #6 was the option I was expecting to get out of the thread. But, I read that text message and it made me think, "who else struggles like this? There must be others!"
    My wife mostly says the same, usually sets money aside for firearms and accessories. I'm just not a very good saver, very impatient.

Logan Wilson and Joe13 like this.
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

I've done #6 and there is enough equity in the bank of grace and forgiveness to pull that off once in a while.

Don't overplay your hand.

No gun is worth at best, alienating the woman you love or even worse, dividing your assets and paying child and spousal support.

Logan Wilson, Joe13, nammac and 3 others like this.
  10. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It can be difficult to save. I find that I do better putting stuff on layaway than just setting money aside in the bank - which I'll end up spending on something else instead. I've used Bud's layaway a few times and it works well - it kind of forces you to set money aside because if you don't pay it off, they keep what money you have given them on the layaway. I've never had that happen, but it could be a good motivation for you. Plus Bud's doesn't charge fees for their layaway like some other stores, like Grabagun do.

Aside from that, setting money aside from time to time is your best bet. I also use the tactic of asking if I can apply the funds my wife was going to put toward my birthday and father's day, maybe Christmas, toward a gun - she has never said no yet. She knows it makes me happy, and it's less shopping for her to do.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Koda, mjbskwim, Logan Wilson and 4 others like this.
  11. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I forgot one more thing. I find from time to time I have stuff around the house, with some value, that I don't need or want any longer. I've become quite good at selling used stuff either on Ebay (bigger audience) or locally on Craigslist or even here on NWFA, though I find that non-firearm stuff doesn't get a lot of attention here. I've sold old camera gear, unneeded tools, even watches and other items that still had value but were just sitting unused.

My favorite sale of all time was an old Hewlett Packard HP-15c Scientific Calculator I used in college back in the late 80's. I hadn't used it in 20 years. I put it on Ebay and sold it to a guy in Spain for $350 plus shipping! I thought the thing was worthless and it had just been sitting in a drawer. You never know.

12. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

Shoot, my cousin has better luck... Half the time his wife considers buying the gun he wants for him on his birthday. o_O My ex fiancé was the same way.

But honestly, option 6 Stomper listed would probably be the least hassle initially. Pleading and begging never hurts though, except your pride maybe.

13. Oregon13

That would be the best way to go!

MTpockets and Joe13 like this.
  14. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

My wife will never say no to me buying anything I want.
    Problem is if she doesn't say no.......
    How can i?
    That $1000 gun usually ends up costing somewhere btween $3 - 5000.

Dreams of Steel likes this.
  15. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Always getting the last word in always helps as well.
    Yes dear
    You're right honey.
    I'm wrong dear.

16. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I got divorced. Now I buy all the guns I want.:p

mjbskwim, v0lcom13sn0w and Joe13 like this.
  17. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I got major flak for my gun and ammo buying practices for quite some time.

For us it became a Don't ask, Don't tell issue. I would never lie but she knew I was stocking up on firearms and ammo.

Everything changed when my income dried up and she couldn't pay all the bills. That's when I started selling my arsenal a little at a time and we have lived off that for almost a year now (I wouldn't call what I have now an arsenal anymore but I still have a few favorite guns).

I told her all along that I was "Investing" our money into firearms but it took starting to sell some for that to sink in.

I can understand why, lattes, purses and shoes are all pretty useless after being used and have very little resale value compared to guns.

When she told me that she would rather have $XXX im cash in the safe I just told her that it would get spent before we actually NEEDed it for one reason or another.

Someday when we can afford more then just our basic bills and are not struggling financially then I plan to go bonkers trying to build up a nest egg again. I don't think I'll get any heat from the wife at that time.

Logan Wilson and Sgt Nambu like this.
  18. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I swap stuff I don't use for stuff I think I need.

@Joe13 i did the same thing a while back turned out what was in the safe got us by for a while making up the difference between a home to live in and nowhere to live.

Since then there hasn't been much questions when something is traded or purchased (within reason if I have the funds) because it's known in a pinch it will be liquidated.

Logan Wilson, Joe13 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  19. Sgt Nambu

LOL!!! Guys, this statement, while true, isn't nearly as adversarial as it sounds!
    And, I was having a little fun with the other posts.
    Way it works is, when my monthly check comes, I get $200. Right off the top. This cash is mine, to do as I wish with! I simply save it until I have enough for a firearm, knife, ammo or gear. I'm real ridgid about saving it, no fancy coffees and stuff. Every couple months I take my wife to lunch or dinner, keeps her sweet! Yesterday I bought a Seyr military rifle from another member. She was kind enough to drive me because I was just out of the Oral Surgeons chair. She even buys me a case of ammo occasionally, but that's just to get me out of the house!;)

20. Oregon13

Ah, this is closer to the answers I was looking for! I have the same system in place. Finally convinced my wife to switch me over to all cash. I get a skin off the top of the check every time it comes in. But I have to use it for everything: gas, food, taking her to lunch, guns, ammo etc. some weeks I do better than others at saving the leftovers.

Firstly, I am glad you guys were able to get through that. Secondly, I am at the first phase of that process; convincing her that it truly can be an investment, and not just a money pit. It is good to know that other people have been able to cash in on their hobbies/lifestyle.

Logan Wilson, Joe13 and Sgt Nambu like this.