JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually, O13, gas, food, etc comes out of "family funds" the cash I take out is for fun stuff only.
We are starting to do it like this.

Mainly looking to cut the wife's spending habits of eating out all the time and paying for others lunches. Except ours is $50/2-weeks.

I mean the side effect is I get so much per period to spend or store away.

Secondly, I am at the first phase of that process; convincing her that it truly can be an investment, and not just a money pit. It is good to know that other people have been able to cash in on their hobbies/lifestyle.

Yea, there wasn't a thing I could do (that I could think of at the time) when the "issues" first came up. Those issues were some real tough fights as I couldn't come up with a way for her to see it as I did. Course comparing a $500+ gun to lattes and shoes was a big mistake and didn't get me anywhere lol.

Part of what helped was to point out the positive stuff like it got me out into the woods or at least to the range, hunting for food etc. BUT then she couldn't really understand why I needed more guns then the 4-5 I had at the time, mostly heirlooms. (Follow up on that is that she has accepted that I will NEVER be done buying guns, no matter how many I have - this is a couple years later).

If I had any advice, it would be to buy a gun or case of ammo that you won't mind parting with. Then as soon as something out of the ordinary happens (I don't know, maybe car maintenance or other unplanned simi-emergency), take what you bought and sell it for the same price if not just a little more then you bought it for (get something you know you'll make some cash on) to "help" with the added financial burden. When she sees (cuz most people don't believe guns and ammo hold value - they are used to cars and other things that are worth half what you paid for it at most) that you are actually not stretching the truth when you say guns and ammo are investments (as long as your not buying every 2k custom built AR15 for sale:p) she might lighten up a bit.

For me it's a triple win:

I can make my money back.

I can just shoot the ammo for fun (and guns without devaluing them).

If I don't have to sell the guns then they are a continued investment and stay in my collection.

Yea, there wasn't a thing I could do (that I could think of at the time) when the "issues" first came up. Those issues were some real tough fights as I couldn't come up with a way for her to see it as I did. Course comparing a $500+ gun to lattes and shoes was a big mistake and didn't get me anywhere lol.

Part of what helped was to point out the positive stuff like it got me out into the woods or at least to the range, hunting for food etc. BUT then she couldn't really understand why I needed more guns then the 4-5 I had at the time, mostly heirlooms. (Follow up on that is that she has accepted that I will NEVER be done buying guns, no matter how many I have - this is a couple years later).

If I had any advice, it would be to buy a gun or case of ammo that you won't mind parting with. Then as soon as something out of the ordinary happens (I don't know, maybe car maintenance or other unplanned simi-emergency), take what you bought and sell it for the same price if not just a little more then you bought it for (get something you know you'll make some cash on) to "help" with the added financial burden. When she sees (cuz most people don't believe guns and ammo hold value - they are used to cars and other things that are worth half what you paid for it at most) that you are actually not stretching the truth when you say guns and ammo are investments (as long as your not buying every 2k custom built AR15 for sale:p) she might lighten up a bit.

For me it's a triple win:

I can make my money back.

I can just shoot the ammo for fun (and guns without devaluing them).

If I don't have to sell the guns then they are a continued investment and stay in my collection.

I think my wife really likes the positives that you mentioned. Getting out into the woods, getting some exercise, getting out of her hair. That is one of the great things about this hobby, it touches on many different aspects of life. I just told her I need one more quality rifle, and a shotgun. Then I am good for a little while.
The problem is, she doesn't see the difference between my .30-30 lever action brush rifle, and the .308 bolt action rifle that I want to purchase. I think that is the speed bump at the moment.

I convinced my wife a long time ago, that firearms, are in fact, money in the bank. A future investment. It took some explaining, but she did come to accept it.
Today I found a deal on Winchester 115gr 9mm. I'm taking home 3000 rounds :D

I convinced my wife a long time ago, that firearms, are in fact, money in the bank. A future investment. It took some explaining, but she did come to accept it.
Today I found a deal on Winchester 115gr 9mm. I'm taking home 3000 rounds :D
Whaaaaaaat?! That must have been a good deal. I started reloading my 9mm a couple of weeks ago, fills the gaps when I'm not able to go out and shoot. I'm close to convincing her, but I only own heirlooms, and two pistols that I bought myself. So I haven't been able to sell anything, and show her that they are all still worth something.

I would like getting into reloading. I've researched it a tad, and have considered (a few times) to buy a Dillon. But, I'm held back from my own doing. Or not in this case. I'm apprehensive of the technicalities involved to be safe.

I would like getting into reloading. I've researched it a tad, and have considered (a few times) to buy a Dillon. But, I'm held back from my own doing. Or not in this case. I'm apprehensive of the technicalities involved to be safe.
Regarding the technicalities of reloading, it's really following a recipe, to the letter...

And some reasonable hardware, including an accurate scale...

Ideally, it would be wise to hook up with an experienced, safe reloader to leverage as a mentor and teacher...

But it could be self taught, as I have done... Just takes attention to the details, even the little ones...

Been safely reload metallic and shotgun for nearly 30 years without ever an incident, thank the Lord...

I know. I may be over thinking. But over thinking is derived from my OCD tendencies. Safety, first and foremost is in the fore front.
I've been known to do some dumb things in my times, says Tim-The-Tool-Man :confused:
My having the opportunity to watch a mentor, this would be extremely beneficial to put my mind at ease. All the videos I've watched make it look so simple.
Not that I'm an idiot (ok, insert jab here if you must) just that I'm overly cautious in most things new to me.

Regarding the technicalities of reloading, it's really following a recipe, to the letter...

And some reasonable hardware, including an accurate scale...

Ideally, it would be wise to hook up with an experienced, safe reloader to leverage as a mentor and teacher...

But it could be self taught, as I have done... Just takes attention to the details, even the little ones...

Been safely reload metallic and shotgun for nearly 30 years without ever an incident, thank the Lord...
This^^
I am by no means an expert, and will give zero advice because I do not know enough. But, reloading is fairly simple. Invest in the right tools, and then follow a recipe. There is a very large difference between reloading, and creating your own loads.
I will not be creating my own loads for quite some time. I just like to collect my brass and reload as close to factory as I can. Right now I use my manuals load specs, and Magtech's OAL because that is what I buy from the store, and I know it feeds well in my gun.
It is very very satisfying to create something in your garage, and then go shoot a tight group into the target.
A month ago, I traded my dad a pistol for his press, manuals, and necessary accessories, and off I went. If an experienced loader wanted to get a group together one day and share some wisdom I would be all ears.

Last 9mm I bought were factory reloads at 8¢ a round:cool:.

Thanks to IM:D
Keep talking there, fella, and I'll be wanting to be your student...lol. That's unheard of these days!!

I have to mention, I'm nearly in Olympia, Wa. So, getting to know someone from Oregon land, it's a little difficult to ......stop by your neighborhood!!

Keep talking there, fella, and I'll be wanting to be your student...lol. That's unheard of these days!!

That was last summer I believe. It was part of a 70k round group buy. I think I have 1500 rounds left of what I got and haven't had any issues.

They came from Washougal Cartridge Company or something like that.

I would endure joining a group buy of that type. Ammo prices are going up in the retail market. Deals as you mention, today?

A group buy thread should be instigated!!
I'm an instigator :p

I would endure joining a group buy of that type. Ammo prices are going up in the retail market. Deals as you mention, today?

A group buy thread should be instigated!!
I'm an instigator :p

Agreed!

But...

The logistics of the money is the issue. Someone has to pay for the entire shipment on delivery unfortunately.

Most people don't want to trust someone they only know online with hundreds of dollars and then have to wait until we have enough people wanting to buy enough ammo that we can place the order . Obviously the more we buy the cheaper it gets.

I'd jump on it in a second if I had the 30-40 thousand dollars to front something like this, as you could always find someone wanting a smoking deal on ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top