JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Our little mutt is has liver function issues and is struggling to keep weight on. We are still working through the diagnosis process with the Vet. The Vet has suggested that we will have to feed the dog a hepatic type of dog food but we would like to start feeding her more homemade foods. The hepatic food the vet suggested has corn, rice and soy protein isolates as the first ingredients which sounds like cheap ingredients to me.

We have poured through Google looking for safe and not safe foods for dogs and came up with this short list of foods we have on hand (or can easily purchase) that are supposedly safe for dogs.

Chicken
Beef
Eggs
Quinoa
Rice
Lentils
Green beans
Bananas
Carrots
Cottage Cheese
Plain Yogurt
Canned Pumpkin
Peas
Coconut Oil

For those who prepare their dogs food, what types of foods do you feed them on a regular basis?

Since our mutts only weigh in at around #5 each we can easily give them high end food. The things to avoid seem to make sense. Corn and wheat stuff since in the wild they are of course not going to eat this and a LOT of commercial food has this. We buy nothing with "meat by product" in it. Google how this stuff is made if you have a strong stomach because it is disgusting.
Any kind of meat seems fine. Organ meat is supposed to be great. In the wild I have heard this is the first thing their wild relatives will go for.

I'm not super informed on this, but I do know that the canned pumpkin is a laxative so be careful with that one.
Yea, not super informed. You have it backwards. It's a source of fiber, and is used to stop the runs.

Pumpkin is a fiber-rich food that also contains important vitamins and minerals, such as vitamins A, E, and C, and potassium and iron. Plain, canned pumpkin is available year-round and can be a great addition to your canine first aid kit.

Pumpkin can ease digestion in several ways. The soluble fiber content in pumpkin adds bulk to your dog's stool by absorbing water, and fiber fermentation produces beneficial fatty acids that supply energy to cells, stimulate intestinal sodium and water absorption, and lower the pH level of the large intestines.

Yea, not super informed. You have it backwards. It's a source of fiber, and is used to stop the runs.

Pumpkin is a fiber-rich food that also contains important vitamins and minerals, such as vitamins A, E, and C, and potassium and iron. Plain, canned pumpkin is available year-round and can be a great addition to your canine first aid kit.

Pumpkin can ease digestion in several ways. The soluble fiber content in pumpkin adds bulk to your dog's stool by absorbing water, and fiber fermentation produces beneficial fatty acids that supply energy to cells, stimulate intestinal sodium and water absorption, and lower the pH level of the large intestines.
Interesting I had no idea about that. It did remind me that all of our dogs have LOVED butternut squash. First time long ago Wife told me she had read this it seemed odd to me. She found a recipe for home made dog biscuit that the main ingredient is this squash. She has not made it for a while as we have been busy but, every time she makes them the mutts go crazy smelling it baking.

I don't think he had it backwards..

OK, yes, I stand corrected. Laxatives can be either the type that adds bulk to crap, or draws water into it so make it go through you faster. Pumpkin can be considered the first type of laxative as it bulks things up so the intestine (in this case dog's ) moved the load through faster. I'll admit i was thinking mainly of the second type.

It sounds like you need a new vet.

I feed my dogs eggs on the weekends.
They get cooked rice on occasion. Ill mix in some yogurt now and then. Apples. Any of the hard veggies like carrots need to be cooked.
We will give them meat trimmings. Pork, beef, chicken, and venison/elk.
I also buy some pet specific raw meat patties and mix them in with their dry food once a week. I use several different brands of quality high protein dog food.

My older Vizsla needed some extra meat on his bones before his first bird season. I used the following product for 1-2 meals a day to put some meat on his bones which he lost after a few weeks of bird hunting all day.

https://www.chewy.com/petag-dyne-va...FOOQ9q3j6yjH7sThrP0EcKEXJJbNFw18aAg9AEALw_wcB

A little bit of that stuff goes a long ways. A teaspoon mixed in with some dry food is how I used it for my dog.

My dogs get kibble for first meal and chicken and rice home cooked for dinner. They do exercise a lot but they're very healthy. I meal prep myself chicken and steamed veggies for lunch for the whole week on Sundays in a slow cooker so when I started cooking for my dogs I just add extra for them and cook up some rice to go with their meal. Throw it in the fridge, Mix it all up and serve it to them with a splash of warm water at dinner time. They love it and it's easy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top