JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been thinking about getting a "survival" rifle to keep in the truck or whatever. I'd love one of the Springfield M6 .410/.22s, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money when it isn't going to get used a bunch.

I've been looking at the Henry AR7. Are they worth it? The idea of storing it all in the stock is cool, but I've heard mixed reviews on accuracy and reliability. Would it be a better idea to get a Ruger 10/22 take down?

What is my best option for around $300?

Buy a good used 12ga, mechanically sound but maybe a bit worn and it will be in the $200-250 range.

Buy a conversion insert, the size calibers you want ($30ea maybe), and shoot any handgun or shotgun round you want thru it from .22-.357 and .410-20ga.

Put a good coat of oil on it and shoot it occasionally

Keep your eye open for a used H&R single shot 12g. Usually can get one used for about 100.

That way if by some horrible chance it gets stolen it's only a 100 dollar loss.

If not I have a Ruger Break Down for sale in the add section[emoji3]

Not light weight, but easy to carry, reliable and effective.

TVgyrY.jpg

I use a single shot Rossi youth model, 17hmr & 410.

Picked it up on trade. Works great, has its own carry case, fits under the seat of my truck.

Used it to kill a coyote in the drive way the other day Lol....

It breaks down to backpack size and so it stays with me and is covered by my conceal carry license. If I'm on a short jaunt, I just carry a 45, but longer trips, my Sig556 is always along.

Well in that case, awesome!

1) Chiappa is making a newer version of the M6 Scout.

<broken link removed>

2) The AR7 from Henry is probably better than any preceding, but I am still not a fan of them. I do like the fact that they are self-contained in the stock, I am just leery of the general design.

3) For any of the combo shotgun/rifles, or a single barrel shotgun break open, the cartridge converter inserts with rifling are notoriously inaccurate. The problem is that the insert doesn't fit snuggly and shot to shot it shifts point of aim. You would do better with firearms that switch barrels. The only ones that reportedly work halfway decently are the shotgun conversions - e.g., 20 ga. in a 12 ga. barrel.

4) I own a number of "survival rifles". With the exception of the M6 Scout (I own one of these too in .410/22), the combo rifle/shotguns are fairly heavy. I own a Savage 24 in 20 ga/.223 with synthetic stock, and it is pretty heavy for what it is.

I prefer the following:

a) Marlin Papoose - strongly prefer the stainless. Very reliable and some are pretty accurate. They are heavier than the AR7, but about the same size broken down - they just don't self-contain store in the stock.

b) The Pak-Rifle. I own the earlier version of this - it is expensive, but very light (1 pound) and small:

Pak_Rifle_2_003.jpg

You can store some ammo in the "buttstock" (which is just a tube). It is single shot and not that fun or fast to shoot. You better get it with the first shot because follow up shots are very slow - you need to break it open which is slow to do (a vid would do a better job than me describing it).

The guy who designed this broke away from the manufacturer and is now designing a kit to make something similar from a Chipmunk or Crickett rifle:

http://rutalocura.com/PRK.html

These are better in that they

* are based on a bolt action, making repeat shots much easier and faster
* have more options
* I believe there are options to go with a .22 Magnum/WMR

I believe that there are even better options yet.

One option is a pistol instead of a rifle.

I have a Browning Buckmark with a TacSol scope mount and TacSol lightweight 5" barrel. TacSol sells 6" barrels too. These are lightweight, small (compared to a rifle) and accurate. You can do similar things with a Ruger pistol if that is your preference, but I prefer the Browning myself.

Another pistol option is a T/C Contender/Encore pistol. This has the added benefit of being able to convert it to a rifle and back. Yes, that is legal, as long as you put a 16+" barrel on a pistol frame before putting the stock on it. And due to quirks in the law, it must be a pistol frame, not a rifle frame. You can convert a pistol to a rifle and back, but you can't convert a rifle to a pistol and back - even though, with the T/C, the two frames are indistinguishable from each other (the serial numbers will show they were either sold as a pistol or rifle - make sure you get a pistol frame).

There are a bajillion options with the T/C

317-090efs_small.jpg

Just google "thompson contender pistol carbine".

The only downside (IMO) is that they are single shot.

The venerable Ruger 10/22

Takedown stainless model - there are some variations on this, including a folding stock and an integral suppressor. some people have adapted Hogue stocks to these.

Rifle with either conventional stock or Hogue stock, with a lightweight barrel - like a carbon fiber barrel, or a TacSol aluminum barrel (with steel insert). these are surprisingly light and accurate.

Same thing with a folding stock.

Lots of options for a 10/22 and these can be made to be lightweight, accurate, smaller, and have quick repeating shots. You can even get bullpup stocks (avoid the Muzzlelite like the plague - they are crap).

Yes the ruger 10/22 takedowns are awesome my local shop has one now for 275 synthetic stock stainless barrel with a carrying case also it's a good deal

I now have three 10/22 rifles - I bought two more in the last week - both from forum members.

One was an "International" model - simply because I always wanted one.

The other is a takedown.

The third is is just a basic model I bought years ago from my little brother because he didn't want it in the house with his kids. I paid $100 for that and it had a rusty exterior on the barrel, so I am experimenting with it. I got (years ago) a Ramline 16" plastic (with steel liner) barrel for it. I can't remember if I have even shot it.

I will take that and put a lightweight folding stock on it (probably an AGP), take the scope base off the takedown, put it on this rifle and put an inexpensive small reflex sight and ghost ring sight behind that, and that will be put in a small bag (like comes with the takedown) with ammo and put in the small truck. Right now it weighs just a bit over 3 pounds (kitchen scale says 3# 2 ounces but I think it is more like 3.2 pounds). I should wind up just a little longer than the takedown.

The goal here is to keep this rifle light and compact - at least under 4 pounds, preferably no heavier than it is now. If the plastic barrel isn't accurate then I will get something like the TacSol aluminum barrels instead. I have read the plastic barrels do okay, but start wandering when they get hot. I would not be shooting a lot of rounds through this in a row - just enough to hunt with, one, maybe two or three shots in a row.

The takedown is nice. The scale says it weighs 4# 3 ounces, but again I think it is more like 4.5 pounds (Ruger says 4.7 pounds?). I will probably put a Leupold Prismatic sight I have on that rifle and a ghost right rear sight and fiber optic front. This rifle will go in the big truck when I am traveling (after I retire).

The International will get the Scout Scope treatment with a ghost ring backup rear sight mounted on the receiver and a fiber optic front sight. It weighs about 5.5 pounds. This will not be a survival rifle - just something pretty to look at and have fun shooting.

While I have extended mags for these, I wouldn't really need them. I am not going to go all tacticool with any rimfire. These would be for hunting or pleasure. I don't think rimfires need any tactical features except those that make them better for hunting small game.

Bi-mart has the take down 10/22 stainless on sale this week $289.97

I remember a friend back in CO had a bolt 22 over a pump 12 ga - granted this was about 1980 so I don't recall exactly what make/model it was but seemed like a decent setup

Bi-mart has the take down 10/22 stainless on sale this week $289.97

I remember a friend back in CO had a bolt 22 over a pump 12 ga - granted this was about 1980 so I don't recall exactly what make/model it was but seemed like a decent setup
There was a pump rifle/shotgun called the Crossfire.

Crossfire%20MK1.jpg

It sold for about $1300 and was actually in production.

12 ga. over .223

As I recall it was never really popular, even though it seems to be the answer to the question of what would be an good survival rifle because it is multi-caliber, both good defensive and hunting chamberings and it is a mag fed repeater for both chamberings.

I vaguely remember (IIRC) that there were functional problems, but other than that, maybe this was one of those "answers" that people always said they wanted, but then, when presented with the chance to buy one, passed on it because they didn't want it as badly as they said they did. That happens a lot.

$1300 for a truck gun is kinda rediculous when you could get the same two guns for half the price or less though.

Doesn't suprize me that it didn't sell well. The only way to sell a lot of something filling a very specific need is to make it cheap and affordable to everyone who would want one.

On a side note - is there a shotgun attachment for under a standard AR? I'm not an AR guy yet but that seems like something useful.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top