JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There was a pump rifle/shotgun called the Crossfire.

It sold for about $1300 and was actually in production.

12 ga. over .223

As I recall it was never really popular,

That is sort of an understatement. The firearm weighed just under 9 lbs, and the pump action was quite difficult to operate. It suffered reliability problems, which prompted a recall not long after it went on sale, that then immediately tarnished the gun's reputation from the beginning.

The gun was developed during the brief period that Colt Industries owned Saco Defense ( the maker of the Crossfire ), and went on sale in 1999. Colt had acquired Saco partially to manufacture the Colt Light Rifle sporting bolt action rifles. However, the Colt Light Rifle project was not a commercial success, and Colt then cancelled the rifle line and sold Saco to General Dynamics in 2000. General Dynamics wanted nothing to do with the Crossfire, and thus the gun was killed very quickly after a very brief life.

So the gun is actually quite rare, and is pretty much sold as a collectible, and not for actual use.

Last Edited:
I don't have one, but the Ruger 10/22 takedown model seems to be a good concept. I like the pack that comes with it, but the Ruger phoenix logo makes it stand out. Does Ruger make a pack in camo? If not, they should consider it.

I don't like camo for anything I could possibly be carrying in an urban environ - it is anti-camo in that case and more or less indicates that you are possibly carrying something something military or hunting oriented, which is just the opposite of what I want.

The other thing that says you may have something of interest is Molle loops/etc.

I prefer drab & matte more or less solid forest green colors, or black. Both blend in urban environs and in wooded environs and in the dark. My GHB is kind of a forest green, but not anything that screams olive drab or camo.

You could maybe blackout the Ruger logo - it is embroidered on with red thread, so it should absorb black indelible ink.

I will give that a try later and report back.

When you say survival, do you just mean able to kill food from your truck? Or do you mean a SHTF rifle to protect yourself from the roving gangs armed with full auto AR15s out to kill you and take your stuff?

For food a cheap used 10/22 is what I would get. For the later I suggest an AR15 to either defend yourself or get an invite from the gang to join up.

A Remington 241 would be another decent option (The same thing was made under a few models and manufacturers). They are old school break down .22's, tube fed from the stock.
I had a couple over the years, but sold both, wish I hadn't.

OP, what "need" are you trying to fill? I've been of the opinion that the M44 Moist Nugget makes for about the best "trunk/truck" gun; inexpensive, powerful, accurate (enough), built in stabbie (could be an important option). Also easy bolt removal; able to leave the gun in place, but render it inoperable.

"built in stabbie (could be an important option)"

Yes, very important! You never know when you might need a spit to toast some frozen bread. :)

That and it is amazing how many people don't want to come around a person with a long, sharp pike. The classic role of the bayonet may not be too relevant these days, but I imagine there is still a lot it can do for the rest of us... like toasting bread... or marshmallows.

Here's a cockamammie idea for a "survival" rifle (depends on what sort of survival you're expecting - stuck in the wilderness vs hordes of post-apocalyptic zombies) if you don't mind spending a little money.

Does anyone make takedown / break down conversions for bolt actions - probably Rem 700?

16 inch barrel. Chambered in something lightweight that isn't going to be anemic in a short barrel - like .300 Blackout. Picatinny rail on the receiver. Detachable scope mount and a low-power scope in the 1-6x range.

Break it all down and be able to fit it into a fairly small Pelican case.

That.. actually sounds pretty interesting from an emergency standpoint. Might have to take a look at that idea, myself.

My side by side shotgun breaks down to 3 peices and will fit into a regular backpack. Takes about 4 seconds to assemble it back to usable.

I'm still partial to my ruger gunsight scout as an all around get r done gun.

A couple of friends carry the Ruger 10/22 in their trucks. One used black marker to black out the red, the other said he used a seem ripper to simply remove all the threads. I never saw the end results of that one.

I carry a lever action .30-30 with me to work and back, but have the benefit of owning a gunshop, so the boss doesn't care when I walk into work sporting a long gun... ;)

I don't pack it around with me the rest of the time, as I hate the thought of leaving a gun unattended in my car.

Here's a cockamammie idea for a "survival" rifle (depends on what sort of survival you're expecting - stuck in the wilderness vs hordes of post-apocalyptic zombies) if you don't mind spending a little money.

Does anyone make takedown / break down conversions for bolt actions - probably Rem 700?

Don't know any such bolt action, but Browning's BLR is a very accurate rifle, despite being rather lightweight, and is available in many useful calibers, including .223 and .308. And it is available in a stainless Breakdown model that is very easy to take down.

Downside is that it is expensive.

Last Edited:
I guess it depends on environment. As a teen I lived and worked on a ranch and carried a savage 24 22 mag/410 everywhere and killed lots of small game with it. They can be found used for $250 or so. If it's self defense my preferred trunk gun is a 500 dollar AK47 yugo unfolder. Yes it's more than your$300. Limit but factor in magazine cost and ammo cost and the AK47 can be pretty attractive

Don't know any such bolt action, but Browning's BLR is a very accurate rifle, despite being rather lightweight, and is available in many useful calibers, including .223 and .308. And it is available in a stainless Breakdown model that is very easy to take down.

Downside is that it is expensive.

BLR takedown model with the barrel rebored to .300 BO would probably cost less than a takedown bolt action conversion + stock cost. Might be onto something.

Could carry an extra magazine, too.

Check out the TNW ASR. They are a pistol carbine rifle and take glock mags. More than $300 but comes with a scope and rings and break down with no tools. Just got one myself. Love it. Cheap to shoot, accurate and takes the many mags/ammo ive already got =]

Check out the TNW ASR. They are a pistol carbine rifle and take glock mags. More than $300 but comes with a scope and rings and break down with no tools. Just got one myself. Love it. Cheap to shoot, accurate and takes the many mags/ammo ive already got =]

If you're a Glock guy it's a decent option. Unfortunately it's heavy. If I was going to use a small pistol caliber carbine. I'd use the keltec sub2k. It folds in half, weighs half what the asr does, and is available in multiple different pistol mag versions.

Or use a caliber it's available in.

.223 in a 16" barrel hardly inspires confidence in a "survival" gun in case you're stuck in God knows where. Maybe .308, but you'd still put a lot of powder to waste (but people *have* been doing interesting things with short .308s lately).

What magazine? It's a tube fed lever gun.

It's not.

BLR uses a detachable rotary mag.

If you're going to try and show somebody up, make sure you've got your facts right first.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top