JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey-o everybody!

Recently I was made aware that I don't have to buy 7.62x54R rounds from Winchester at A-buck-A-bullet. (Shame my friend couldn't have told me sooner, saved me a few bills!)

I've found a few offers online. Most of the ones posted are, or were, auctions that are no longer going, but there are a few like this:

440 Rounds 7.62x54r 147 - Grain Fmj Ammo - 865012, 7.62x54r Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to order this case of ammunition now, or wait a month until the gun show rumbles through Portland again. I recently sold my Mosin but I've already saved up plenty to purchase another one just as soon as the show opens, and now I'm wondering whether to take advantage of that offer, or wait for the show.

Just to clarify, it will come out to $100 almost perfectly when you factor in shipping. So far, even with shipping, that's the best deal I've found online.

And this isn't exactly ammunition, but does anyone know where to buy stripper clips for CHEAP? I'm a college student, and I have to make every dollar count. I saw some on Amazon, pack of 100 for $50, which isn't a bad price, just seeing if there's better prices anywhere.

I plan to store the ammo I don't use in the clips, which will be wrapped up in paper and put into a sealed box with some desiccants inside to keep the ammo fresh. (If there's some horrible corrosion that happens when you leave stripper clips with the rounds, let me know!)

I've never stored more than 20 rounds, and never for more than a few months before I inevitably obliterate a few potatoes out on the farm, so any storage advice would be welcome.

This is more a 'just-in-case' ammo. Just in case I need lots for some reason. Just in case prices skyrocket(knock on wood), etc. I feel much better knowing I have a few hundred rounds safely tucked away rather than have to trek back to Big 5 every few months to get another 20 rounds.

Well that, and I'm lazy. Who wants to go ammo shopping multiple times a year when you can get hundreds of rounds now!

Cheers all, and happy shooting,
Drame22

I don't know what the cost of Ammo was at the Portland gun show, but at the Albany show there was 440 round tins going for 100 bucks. I kicked myself for not buying it, because like you I figured shipping a "deal" I found online would come out to almost 100 bucks, and I wouldn't have to wait for it. I have problems waiting :rolleyes: If I knew of a local place I could get it (SE Portland/Metro area) for about that, I'd shop there. I'd rather keep my dollars in state.

Unfortunately our only gun store(at least, within Portland) is The Gun Room. And they have...well, I'll be nice and say disappointing reviews from customers. Out of the hundreds I found, only a dozen or so were above 3 stars. The rest hovered in the 1-2 star range, apparently the owner is religiously minded and doesn't mind telling customers so, and has an irrational disdain of German firearms. (which, why you'd hate what can be argued is the best engineering country in the world is beyond me).

That is all second-hand of course, I've never personally been to the store, though I will be making a trip in the next few days to be sure, and then I can offer up some better advice.

I have not bought on line in a long time. Once the panic prices come down and availability opens up, I will go back to buying locally when it goes on sale. I am not in a hurry and have enough to shoot for awhile stored away.

Trailboss, +1 Kudo Point for that post.

Ah well, I can wait a month at least, until I get the rifle. Panic prices over what, does anyone know?

Cheers,
Drame22

You can get original Russian surplus stripper clips for about $.50 to $1 on Ebay. That is where i purchased mine. Avoid reproduction clips as they tend to work poorly.

Unfortunately our only gun store(at least, within Portland) is The Gun Room. And they have...well, I'll be nice and say disappointing reviews from customers. That is all second-hand of course, I've never personally been to the store, though I will be making a trip in the next few days to be sure, and then I can offer up some better advice.

Unfortunately I have been in the Gun Room.....once. I went in there about 15 years ago, looking for some .223 hollow point ammo, which the owner pointed out for me. He asked what I was going to shoot it out of? An AR15, says I. The owner then went into a profanity laced rant, complete with drooling, about how the Vietnam War was lost because the troops were armed with M-16s. In his opinion, had every soldier, sailor, marine, had a scoped bolt action rifle, the outcome would have been different. This guy went on to call me several vile names because I owned an AR. I very carefully backed out of the store and have never been back. I don't see how the guy stays in business. I was on duty, plain clothes cop at the time, and thought I'd have to fight my way out.

In Portland, check out "The Gun Broker" 14981 SE 82nd Dr. I've purchased several guns with them, and they have always treated me with respect and courtesy. They also have stores in Woodburn and Tigard. Not sure how their ammo stock is holding up, but I imagine they are stuck like everyone else.

In my experience Sportman's Guide has the best prices coupled with coupons constantly for free shipping or money off your order that basicaly constitutes free shipping, SG ammo also has good prices but shipping is a little more. Sportsman's with shipping is almost always less than gun show prices, which on a whole are not great. I'd look at AIM Surplus and Bud's Gun Shop for your next Mosin, they have decent prices and Bud's usually has free shipping just have to find a FFL to do the transfer for a good price.

I'd like to go on a Gun Room tangent as well, I went in there 12 years ago looking for an AK. When I asked the guy working there if they had any he went on a rant about how they aren't quality guns and they're are just a few out there worth anything as collectors pieces, also that Russian guns were low quality. 6 months ago I was in the market for a Saiga 308 and was calling stores seeing who had them in stock, I called the Gun Room because I figured in all this time surely they're on board with Russian guns, they've certainly become nearly equal competitors to the AR15 market price wise. Nope, guy on the phone said we don't sell Russian crap, AK's or Mosins. So apparently semi auto technology ended with the M1 Garand according to the Gun Room.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top