JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up my can this weekend. I went to the range today to give it a try. I was surprised with how much the point of impact changed. I defiantly need more range time to really get a bead on it.

My question is will the POI change every time i put the can on? Will the rifle need to be zeroed every time the can comes on and off?

My hope is that the POI change is consistent so the rifles can be left as is and i know that with the can on I'll be good to go. One thing I do know is that I'll be getting at least one more.

The first rifle was my 24" barreled AR. The POI was over 4" to the right at 100yds.

The second rifle was my 18" Alexander Arms AR in 17Hmr. The POI change was low 2".

Thoughts?

I have a Remmy 700 in .223, I take the can off after every outing, otherwise it is too long for the safe. I use it for vermin and Tannerite, POI stays the same. As long as the can indexes to the same spot every time, you should be golden. :s0155:

I think to some extent this is where a quality can and lockup matters. I know that is one of Surefire's selling points is less POI shift.

As mentioned above the quality of the can is a big part of it.

Another equally big part (and one that you can correct without a new stamp) is making sure your threads are true / concentric to the barrel.

If your threads are off even a bit, then the bullet enters the can off center which can be one of the things that creates shift.

Well, if it's a rimfire can, you do have to take it off for cleaning, but I can't imagine shooting any suppressor host without the suppressor on it.

I'm with ya, I only have centerfire cans but I am aware of how to dip and properly dispose of the dip. I can't imagine throwing the whole gun and can combo in the dip is a good idea.

As posted earlier, repeatable POI shift depends on the mechanical interface of the suppressor to the barrel. The more solid and ... repeatable the assembly, the more consistent the POI will be. Without knowing what suppressor the OP has, threaded suppressors are generally better.

As far as variability of POI shift between hosts: that largely comes down to barrel harmonics and how adding a weight at the end of the barrel in the form of a suppressor changes that.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top