JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm working towards snagging a suppressor...but what direction to go??? Looking for first hand experiences, thoughts...and/or advice.

Currently I need to debug a 10mm SBR project (using an Angstadt Arms 1045 receiver set) which I'd like to suppress...understanding it might(?) not be the best choice for a suppressor...but I already have everything on the shelf needed to work up loads for it. I also have a .450 Bushmaster, and cartridge components for it to work with, and I'm thinking the Obsidian 45 might be a good choice to run on both the 10 mm and .450 Bushmaster...??? I'm not sure how well either cartridge will run surppressed...but if I can get either of them anywhere close nail gun noise levels with subsonic loads, I'd be a happy camper...noise being a neighborly issue here on our property. Some after the fact research indicates a .300 BLK with an appropriate suppressor and using subsonic ammunition likely would've been a much better way to go.

My question is...can the Obsidian 45 quiet the 10 mm and/or the .450 Bushmaster enough to make it worthwhile as a compromise...or do I bite the bullet and start another SBR Form 1 (I already have an unused receiver set), and build a .300 BLK to suppress, which means finding all the dies and cartridge components as well as a second SBR Stamp AND the suppressor Form 4?. (my goal being a carbine length suppressed SBR which might keep my wife happy, and won't irritate the neighbors)

I can start the suppressor Form 4 soon for the 10mm/.450 Bushmaster...or I can reset my brain and work towards the .300 BLK build for the ultimate (I think) in quiet a bit farther in the future...???

Any thoughts...or something I've missed???

It sounds like your trying for quiet but have the wrong calibers to do so.

Thing is any caliber can be quiet if loaded correctly. 10mm is a great reloader cartridge. Not only can you make it fast, you can also make it slow and heavy. I'd think a subsonic 10mm through a 45 call can would work very well.

Since you are going to be using this primarily on carbines, I'd say look at a beefier 45 can. The Rugged aluminum tube is for weight and most aluminum tubes etc are usually more intended for pistols as it is lighter on a pistol. Sure if it is lighter on a pistol it is light on a carbine… It's just that most of the heavier pistol caliber suppressors are usually better in carbines or designed for them, larger diameter stronger metals etc.

My vote, finish making the 10. Load subsonic, enjoy the quieter life.

Get a dead air primal. It's .46 caliber, rated up to .338 Lapua pressures, can be set up to run on pistols, on QD mounts, direct thread, etc

It sounds like your trying for quiet but have the wrong calibers to do so.

Thing is any caliber can be quiet if loaded correctly. 10mm is a great reloader cartridge. Not only can you make it fast, you can also make it slow and heavy. I'd think a subsonic 10mm through a 45 call can would work very well.

Since you are going to be using this primarily on carbines, I'd say look at a beefier 45 can. The Rugged aluminum tube is for weight and most aluminum tubes etc are usually more intended for pistols as it is lighter on a pistol. Sure if it is lighter on a pistol it is light on a carbine… It's just that most of the heavier pistol caliber suppressors are usually better in carbines or designed for them, larger diameter stronger metals etc.

My vote, finish making the 10. Load subsonic, enjoy the quieter life.
Yep...started the 10mm project, then developed the suppressor interest after shooting my son-in-laws suppressed Ruger 22/45. The 10mm has a 10.5" barrel, and the .450 is 16".

Yep...started the 10mm project, then developed the suppressor interest after shooting my son-in-laws suppressed Ruger 22/45. The 10mm has a 10.5" barrel, and the .450 is 16".
Getting a 22 suppressor is also a great start.

If it's your first suppressor I would consider focusing on suppressing something that is either subsonic (ss) or easy to load / buy subsonic.

22LR has plenty of ss options.

Most 45 ACP is naturally ss

many 147gr 9mm is also naturally ss

i know of at least one 10mm subsonic by Winchester.

rifle calibers normally aren't ss and you're going to get the sonic crack. I hunt hogs in S.TX with a 300 BLK and using slow 200 + gr pills, it is so much fun! (AAC SDN6's) We also use 5.56 at normal velocity through Tac-16 and a AAC M4-2000 and while there is a crack, completely hearing safe while out in the mesquite. Evening rabbit hunts are generally done with 10/22's with about 6 different can manufacturers - one of which is a dudes form 1 flashlight lol!

Now as for choosing the brand of suppressor, I would call up the Silencer Shop and tell them what you want to do and they will give you solid advice on which one they feel will meet your needs. Additionally they will help you on your way to getting that can in hand as easy as can be done.

good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Getting a 22 suppressor is also a great start.
If it's your first suppressor I would consider focusing on suppressing something that is either subsonic (ss) or easy to load / buy subsonic.

22LR has plenty of ss options.

Most 45 ACP is naturally ss

many 147gr 9mm is also naturally ss

i know of at least one 10mm subsonic by Winchester.

rifle calibers normally aren't ss and you're going to get the sonic crack. I hunt hogs in S.TX with a 300 BLK and using slow 200 + gr pills, it is so much fun! (AAC SDN6's) We also use 5.56 at normal velocity through Tac-16 and a AAC M4-2000 and while there is a crack, completely hearing safe while out in the mesquite. Evening rabbit hunts are generally done with 10/22's with about 6 different can manufacturers - one of which is a dudes form 1 flashlight lol!

Now as for choosing the brand of suppressor, I would call up the Silencer Shop and tell them what you want to do and they will give you solid advice on which one they feel will meet your needs. Additionally they will help you on your way to getting that can in hand as easy as can be done.

good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

I'm working towards snagging a suppressor...but what direction to go??? Looking for first hand experiences, thoughts...and/or advice.

Currently I need to debug a 10mm SBR project (using an Angstadt Arms 1045 receiver set) which I'd like to suppress...understanding it might(?) not be the best choice for a suppressor...but I already have everything on the shelf needed to work up loads for it. I also have a .450 Bushmaster, and cartridge components for it to work with, and I'm thinking the Obsidian 45 might be a good choice to run on both the 10 mm and .450 Bushmaster...??? I'm not sure how well either cartridge will run surppressed...but if I can get either of them anywhere close nail gun noise levels with subsonic loads, I'd be a happy camper...noise being a neighborly issue here on our property. Some after the fact research indicates a .300 BLK with an appropriate suppressor and using subsonic ammunition likely would've been a much better way to go.

My question is...can the Obsidian 45 quiet the 10 mm and/or the .450 Bushmaster enough to make it worthwhile as a compromise...or do I bite the bullet and start another SBR Form 1 (I already have an unused receiver set), and build a .300 BLK to suppress, which means finding all the dies and cartridge components as well as a second SBR Stamp AND the suppressor Form 4?. (my goal being a carbine length suppressed SBR which might keep my wife happy, and won't irritate the neighbors)

I can start the suppressor Form 4 soon for the 10mm/.450 Bushmaster...or I can reset my brain and work towards the .300 BLK build for the ultimate (I think) in quiet a bit farther in the future...???

Any thoughts...or something I've missed???
There's an old saying about "Nothing succeeds like success."
Putting a suppressor on supersonic ammo will not be successful. The supersonic crack of a 10mm will still be loud. IMO downloading 10mm to subsonic defeats the purpose of having a 10mm. That's what .40 S&W is for. OTOH subsonic .300BLK through a suppressor is indeed an absolute hoot. Looking at Rugged's site it says it can handle sub 450 Bushmaster from a minimum 16 inch barrel, so assuming you met that requirement I recommend getting the Obsidian 45.

Thanks for all the input guys...thinking my brain is on the right track. I was never considering anything but subsonic loads for suppressor use...and it sounds like the Obsidian 45 (or equivalent) will be a reasonable choice. Probably talk to Silencer Shop this week...unfortunately last Friday the Sheriff Dept. put out a message that the hard drive in their digital fingerprint scanner died...so I either wait a couple weeks to get prints, or head off on an 90+ mile expedition to find a kiosk...

Thanks for all the input guys...thinking my brain is on the right track. I was never considering anything but subsonic loads for suppressor use...and it sounds like the Obsidian 45 (or equivalent) will be a reasonable choice. Probably talk to Silencer Shop this week...unfortunately last Friday the Sheriff Dept. put out a message that the hard drive in their digital fingerprint scanner died...so I either wait a couple weeks to get prints, or head off on an 90+ mile expedition to find a kiosk...
For the future. I use Capitol Armory (out of Austin TX). You can set up an account by sending them 2 mug shots, 2 official fingerprint cards (go to any sheriff's office, need not be your own) and a copy of your trust (if you use one). They will put it on file. If you order through them you can do it on line or by telephone from home. You do need to tell them they have your info. They will fill out all the paperwork and then arrange to do the eform conversation on the phone. You do have to deliniate your local FFL to send it to.
Have had nothing but good luck with them for several years. Prices are decent too. Good luck

I get my prints done at a shipping store, Check with any printing/shipping stores in your town. There's bound to be one shop that probably has a notary and can take prints too. They should have the right forms.

I am an owner of an Obsidian 45 and it is an excellent can and my top recommendation usually for handguns. I have also used it on a Banshee in 45ACP (very happy with results) and a Henry in 38/357 (less impressed with results). For your intended purpose of using it on PCC's, I would go with a different choice like the DA Primal mentioned, Rex Silentium MG7, or another shorter but wider PCC oriented can to keep your overall length down and get some improved suppression. I don't like anymore length or weight than necessary unless it is going on a bench gun/range only gun in which case I buy for maximum suppression.

I do not have personal experience suppressing 450 bushmaster but I have been told that it doesn't suppress that well regardless of the can due to diminishing ability to suppress the larger bore diameter and larger powder charge. I will hopefully have some better first hand experie as I just started a 45/70 project that will be suppressed that is very similar to a 450 bushmaster.

How close are your neighbors? If your on a couple acres, a suppressor should knock the sound down to a level that is very tolerable to your neighbors regardless of can or caliber. It may not be hearing safe for the shooter but will be pleasant for those at a distance.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top