JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bulk spaghetti, can be bought for $13 for 20#, and dry pasta, stored properly doesn't need to be stored in a can - you could just vacuum pack it.
I used to store my bags of rice, beans etc. in new galvanized garbage cans with tight fitting lids.
It's difficult for rodents to gnaw through steel.

I used to store my bags of rice, beans etc. in new galvanized garbage cans with tight fitting lids.
It's difficult for rodents to gnaw through steel.
I use mylar bags in 5 gallon or other size buckets, with O2 absorbers and sealed by iron (when the wife is out ). Winco carries all the supplies for this in their bulk food section

I like to use new empty METAL gallon paint cans to long-term store rice/pastas/potato flakes/oatmeal/flour... etc. I put measured amounts in quart size freezer ziplocks inside and hammer the lids tight.
They're lightproof, airtight, easy to move, fit just about anywhere, and my wife can lift them. the Quart size is great for spices and soup base.
The gallon and quart sizes mean we won't need to open huge 5 gallon containers and they are much easier to move if we need to leave ... quickly.

I like to use new empty METAL gallon paint cans to long-term store rice/pastas/potato flakes/oatmeal/flour... etc. I put measured amounts in quart size freezer ziplocks inside and hammer the lids tight.
They're lightproof, airtight, easy to move, fit just about anywhere, and my wife can lift them. the Quart size is great for spices and soup base.
The gallon and quart sizes mean we won't need to open huge 5 gallon containers and they are much easier to move if we need to leave ... quickly.
I've been using the spin on lids - forget what they call them, and have been thinking about re-packaging bulk items to meal or other handy sizes. Some of my older preps need to be checked anyway. Haven't had any issues with pests and the plastic buckets, and since I already have them will continue to use them. I like the idea of metal cans.

I've been using the spin on lids - forget what they call them, and have been thinking about re-packaging bulk items to meal or other handy sizes. Some of my older preps need to be checked anyway. Haven't had any issues with pests and the plastic buckets, and since I already have them will continue to use them. I like the idea of metal cans.
Mice won't get into the typical 5 gallon plastic pails - at least in my experience. They will chew into plastic wrap/etc., even mylar - so anything like that is thin enough to be flexible, should go into something harder/thicker. The thinnish plastic 1 gallon bottles I got at the dollar store have so far been adequate against mice - but the screw on lids are fragile, so if they are dropped the lips on them can break - I would not guarantee that they would be mice proof.

Rats, squirrels, racoons, etc. - would probably be able to get into plastic cans, maybe the plastic buckets. I've not had any problems with anything but mice, but neighbors have had racoons, possums, etc. get into their shops.

Metal is probably the most resistant to anything less than a bear or human. Bears can get into almost anything if given enough time and they are motivated enough.

Mice won't get into the typical 5 gallon plastic pails - at least in my experience. They will chew into plastic wrap/etc., even mylar - so anything like that is thin enough to be flexible, should go into something harder/thicker. The thinnish plastic 1 gallon bottles I got at the dollar store have so far been adequate against mice - but the screw on lids are fragile, so if they are dropped the lips on them can break - I would not guarantee that they would be mice proof.

Rats, squirrels, racoons, etc. - would probably be able to get into plastic cans, maybe the plastic buckets. I've not had any problems with anything but mice, but neighbors have had racoons, possums, etc. get into their shops.

Metal is probably the most resistant to anything less than a bear or human. Bears can get into almost anything if given enough time and they are motivated enough.
I would guess metal, at least trash cans, are not resistant to water.

Awesome resource!
List of Bishops Store Houses/Home Storage Locations:

One need not be a Church Member to shop at them.

We've shopped at the White City storehouse, however not amidst the plandemic, so no first hand knowledge of how there inventory is doing.

Most things are less in store, vs shipped. However some things are MORE in store vs shipped. Know before you go.

Tip: printout an order form if you go. Helps make it easier for them to tally.

List of Bishops Store Houses/Home Storage Locations:

One need not be a Church Member to shop at them.

We've shopped at the White City storehouse, however not amidst the plandemic, so no first hand knowledge of how there inventory is doing.

Most things are less in store, vs shipped. However some things are MORE in store vs shipped. Know before you go.

Tip: printout an order form if you go. Helps make it easier for them to tally.
Had no idea there were outlets in Oregon, but should have guessed. In addition to supplies there are LDS resources to help people become more self sufficient. Not just information, either. When I lived in Idaho, my girlfriend borrowed canning supplies and as with the stores you didn't need to be a church member to do so.

Great tip re itemized list.

Had no idea there were outlets in Oregon, but should have guessed. In addition to supplies there are LDS resources to help people become more self sufficient. Not just information, either. When I lived in Idaho, my girlfriend borrowed canning supplies and as with the stores you didn't need to be a church member to do so.

Great tip re itemized list.
Yeah, they also used to let folks use the LDS equipment to can up brought in foods in #10 cans too.

Unfortunately due to regulations & such, that is no longer possible. They also sold off the equipment to do so.

Regardless, they are still an excellent resoource, well worth a perusal around the website & the website they link to.

Pick & chose what may work.

Wow. "Prepper" for decades and had never actually used LDS as a source. Went today (the one on 82nd).

What a place! The #10 cans are priced competitavely with DIY buying bulk and packing it. 30 year shelf life, in metal, nothing to do but buy it. Inventory was not a problem, however one couple I talked with in the lobby said they "had just gotten restocked." Luck was apparently with me today.

I'm not LDS, and that made no difference at all. Service was impeccable, couldn't ask for a friendlier crew. Can't recommend highly enough.

Edit: Oh yeah. I printed out the order form before I went, but the woman helping me exchanged it for a form specifically from the store. Slightly different form. And they don't take cash, only credit and debit.

Last Edited:
Wow. "Prepper" for decades and had never actually used LDS as a source. Went today (the one on 82nd).

What a place! The #10 cans are priced competitavely with DIY buying bulk and packing it. 30 year shelf life, in metal, nothing to do but buy it. Inventory was not a problem, however one couple I talked with in the lobby said they "had just gotten restocked." Luck was apparently with me today.

I'm not LDS, and that made no difference at all. Service was impeccable, couldn't ask for a friendlier crew. Can't recommend highly enough.

Edit: Oh yeah. I printed out the order form before I went, but the woman helping me exchanged it for a form specifically from the store. Slightly different form. And they don't take cash, only credit and debit.
Nice!

I don't know why more folks don't utilize the Bishops Store House's / Home Storage Centers.

Perhaps because of a preconceived notion regarding getting proselytized at or something? Never an issue / never had such even alluded to. Like your experience, just nice friendly folks! All volunteer (AFAIK), as well.

Nice!

I don't know why more folks don't utilize the Bishops Store House's / Home Storage Centers.

Perhaps because of a preconceived notion regarding getting proselytized at or something? Never an issue / never had such even alluded to. Like your experience, just nice friendly folks! All volunteer (AFAIK), as well.
I think it's more lack of awareness than anything, even among the preparedness community.

Yea, the no cash started a bit after covid started.. sucks.
The wierd code instead of a name proper on my cc bill had me stumped for a bit too.

So who is going to take care of the kids if every citizen is required to have a job outside the home? It takes more than a low paid job to cover the cost of child care. In most cases, more than two low end jobs. And few families these days live close enough to relatives so that they can help.

Many people would rather raise their own kids than to pay someone else to do it if they have that option. Your mandate would make it illegal for parents to raise their own children, even when one parent has a good enough job so the other could stay home.

In addition, 10% of the US population has an IQ of 83 or lower. The US Army has made it illegal to induct anyone 83 or lower, as its been found that there is nothing they can be taught that makes them more valuable than the problems and liabilities they cause. And the Army worked very hard to get a different answer. (See "McNamara's Morons" during the Vietnam era. A tragic episode.)

An added serious fraction of the population has other mental disorders of various kinds. These people used to be institutionalized. Then meds came along and greatly helped such people at least temporarily. However meds need to be carefully monitored and altered as appropriate. Now these people are dumped on the streets where they fail to take their meds or report for medical monitoring, revert to craziness, and usually become homeless.

Then there are all the alcoholics and drug addicts. They could mostly probably do a job if forceably cleaned up, then imprisoned and monitored so carefully they couldn't get access to drugs/alcohol. Few jobs can be done from prison. And the average cost of federal incarceration is more than $36,000/year. And this does not provide enough security to eliminate drugs. So these people are mostly on the street too, adding to the homeless population and not being capable of holding a job.

Then there's plenty of genuinely physically disabled people. people who are blind, deaf, missing limbs, etc. If they are bright enough and have enough home and public support, they may be able to get appropriate training that lets them get a job designed around their limitations.. But if not, they may only be qualified for jobs that require being physically able.

I don't think an "every citizen must get a job mandate" is a solution.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

-George Carlin

from https://forwardobserver.com today in their daily, free email:

President Biden announced expansion of service hours at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. In addition, Walmart, FedEx, and UPS are moving to 24-hour operations to deliver more goods to consumers. Logistics experts are doubtful this will have any meaningful impact on supply chain disruptions as Los Angeles began offering expanded hours weeks ago. Harvard management professor WIll Shih warned that "the bottleneck will then shift elsewhere, like to the distribution centers and intermodal hubs." (AC: Previously, the port director in Los Angeles said many businesses were slow to take up expanded hours as warehouse workers, truck drivers, and other logistics roles were not participating. The President's approach to this is unlikely to have an impact on the availability of goods. Media reports of supply-chain shortages have entered the zeitgeist and could lead to panic-buying. - D.M.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top