JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with the Ruger P89, They are full sized, reliable and tough for a very fair price. I bought mine new and added a set of hogue wrap around grips and love it. I will never get rid of it.

very similar to mine

1626666553880.png

Another vote for the SIG P320, which was my first gun. Cool thing about the P320 is how modular it is. You can easily swap the grip module for pretty cheap and can even change barrel length (4.7", 3.9", or 3.6") and caliber (9mm, 357 SIG, or 40 S&W) if you want to try something different down the road. Glock 19 is great too and around the same price, but just didn't fit my hand well.

Get a CZ. I like Smith & Wesson M&P also.
As for CZ (very underrated brand), P07 or P09 are around $500 (polymer frame, hammer fired). The base 75 series are about $600-700 (metal frame, hammer fired). Try and get the decocker models if you can find them. I like the feel of metal frame guns but the P07 is also extremely comfortable. There P01 is nice also but didn't fit my hands as well as the P07. The SP01 is my favorite. The only CZ pistol I don't have any personal experience with is the P10 series (polymer frame, striker fired) but I have only heard good things. Striker fired I buy M&P, which I love.

Glocks are boring IMO and they do not fit my hands comfortably. Everyone says get a Glock, but there are other, better options. Sig makes polymer guns in the $500 range

There are sub $500 pistols that are reliable and fun. Do some research to make sure you don't buy a gun with a bad rep. though.

Lastly, if you can spring for the $600-700 range you can get an AR rifle in 9mm. Foxtrot Mike are in that range. And the Ruger PC Carbine is around that. Both great options for a 9mm rifle.

Good luck.

Last Edited:
Get what speaks to you. You'll be far more likely to stick with it and become more involved if you buy what you like and have fun with.

Go to a range with a good rental counter and indulge yourself. You'll sort out more in an afternoon than anything we can tell you here. And it will be a whole lot of fun.

But with the above said, polymer striker fired pistols are often a good choice for first time gun owners. The manual of arms (how they work) is simple and straight forward, they're reliable, and they're pretty affordable. Try a Glock, M&P, Sig P320. There's plenty of other options for striker guns, of course, but those are probably the big three.

If you're interested in SA/DA guns, then try a Sig P226 and a Beretta.

Good luck!

I own a few semi-automatics but I much prefer revolvers. So thinking outside the box since you want a range toy, s&w 929 or 986. Or rugers sp101 or any of the many flavors of the ruger blackhawk that lets you shoot both 357mag or 9mms.

Didn't read the entire thread.....

Something that functions like the Scorpion but is not as expensive:

A Hi-Point Carbine - $329.99 at Sportsman's

Much maligned name, but still could be fun!!! Why buy a handgun when what you really want is a 9mm rifle? And both Scorpion and AR9 are too expensive. (didn't know per post above you could get an AR9 for below $1k)(

Another option is the Keltec Sub2000 - $448.99 at Sportsman's. I've shot one, they are brutal due to blowback design, but fun.

Last Edited:
If you're gonna consider a Hi-Point, then there's no reason not to put your name on the list for a Yeet Cannon 2.0. It's a newer version of the venerable Yeet Cannon 1.0.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top