JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand that condition is sight unseen, and in the past they have been pretty fair in their gradings. Over kill on the back ground checks, but it's what covers them, not you! The early 60s DCM had some unserviceable for $20, that was mailed at that time to my California door without a background check. Over the years, and $500 more, I built it into a proud to own shooter! It wasn't a collector when I received it. A Colt lower and an Ithaca slide with most parts well worn. I think if you are not hung up on the historic part, you would be better off with a commercial knock off. There are several really nice ones that are just as nice, and condition is new. The best of from CMP are being held back for auction, so that means??? you aren't getting full luck of the draw. There were some older 1911s that have some further collector value depending on condition that are also going to auction also. You might want to do some on line research on present made 1911s and 1911A1s. Seems like there are many out there at all kinds of prices.

I might have missed this, but did you ever state how you will use your 1911? If it is for concealed carry, I recommend finding an alloy framed Officer's model. I carry my Sig Ultra Carry and love it. Even better, I carry my old Detonics, but I digress. If you are a bigger guy who can get away with carrying a larger pistol, a commander sized pistol will be good - again with an alloy frame for lightness. Many here might disagree with me, but as a 6 footer at 250 pounds, a full size government model doesn't conceal very well for me. Now if you are going to have a range toy or nightstand gun, a full size gun would be nice. I use my Para 14-45 as a competition gun, my Kimber, RIA, and Charles Daly models as range toys, and then include my Colt Officer, Para 10-45, Sig and Detonics in my daily carry rotation.

At any rate, determine your budget, then determine what uses for which you want the 1911, then research the models that fit the bill. Talk to some gunsmiths as well regarding what they think of your choices. For instance, my $900 Kimber full size has had several of the common failures caused by breakage of MIM parts.

Good luck with your endeavor. I hope it will be the first of many 1911s for you.

Grips wise, another worth looking at IMHO, is Carbon Creations, the Blue are extra nice:

Carbon Fiber 1911 Gov't Flat Bottom Grips

Boss

NRA/CCRKBA legislative reception TOMORROW Night in Olympia:eek:

Washington State Legislative Reception

Boss,

Just a quickie note of experience from me. I used to race superbikes with my Ducati 1198SP. It was decked out pretty good with carbon fiber all over the place. Something a lot of luxury bikes are usually outfitted with.

Anyways, I've learned CF is very susceptible to getting rashed up really easily. And when/if it does, the carbon fibers stick out like small little barbed needles that are extremely sharp and hard to get out of your skin. Very painful stuff!

When I carry, I carry with the full intention of using my tool if I ever need to. I treat my carry stuff pretty harshly and they get dinged up every now and again.
I would never use CF anything on items that I know will see real-world utility.

Now that said, I have no problems with using CF items for safe queens or things that won't see the light of day too often. For my shiny 1098R for instance, I have CF everything. It's a show bike. So I know it'll never see the light of day.

Honest....not trying to be argumentative. Just giving my 02. cents here. No offense meant by this post.

I've always wanted to have/get a 1911. The time is now to move on that. I'm not sure what way to go, new or used yet. I want something decent quality, in the $1,200.00 (or thereabout) range. Of course there's nothing wrong with spending less and still getting my desire!! :D

I know nothing about them, or what brands to consider. In fact, I don't (edit) know (edit) what size to get, short of .45 caliber. I think.

The longer the barrel, the more accurate they can be given the shooters skill-set?
This gun likely will not get carried much, except "maybe" on a hunting trip. I don't OWB or open carry. IWB? No.

All of you experienced in the 1911, share your knowledge with me, and help me make a decision. A gratifying purchase that I won't later regret due to my not being educated of them.

Please show me the way to the light. LOL
Get a Kimber. Go to their website and find the one that really lights your fire...they have a very wide choice of excellent models.

Def not CF

G-10 material
Wilson starburst looks nice to me.
Available without logo.
351aafs.jpg

Or the classic double diamond walnut
351f.jpg

Springfield ruins theirs with that logo of theirs.
They should just do double diamond and walk away.

G-10 material
Wilson starburst looks nice to me.
Available without logo.

Or the classic double diamond walnut

Springfield ruins theirs with that logo of theirs.
They should just do double diamond and walk away.

They look nice. I've been scouring the net looking. WC did stick out.
I will need to have mine in my hands for better feel, but yes, I want to change them. I'm picky too.

The Starburst one that DirectDrive referred to above is probably one of 10 most popular. I've never handled one before, but it is supposed to be the bee'z knee'z.

Grips can be a fairly personal thing on a number of factors.

I've never had an issue with my Carbon Creations, but granted, I'm not repelling out of blackhawks or anything 'high speed/low drag'. And I also have the genuine original articles...not knock offs.

Some like Alumagrips..

Alumagrips - Overview

See, isn't this fun:)

Boss

If you want to stay 'true' to the name the Colt 1991-A1 is a very nice gun. In your price range with Excellent fit and finish with a nice satin blue (much better now than than the parkerizing on my 'older' 1991-A1)
I almost bought one a while back in 9mm when my local Sportsmsn's Warehouse was still a stocking dealer and had one!
Best non-Colt I have ever seen/shot is the S & W a friend bought a couple years ago. $875, all the 'trimmings' , SS, excellent fit & finish and incredibly accurate.

Last Edited:
I seen several snake skin options. Somewhat luring, different. Better sitting on a display gun, IMO.

I can tell you from personal experience that mine have been through several pistol classes at Front Sight as well as countless range trips with nary a scale lost.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top