JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always wanted to have/get a 1911. The time is now to move on that. I'm not sure what way to go, new or used yet. I want something decent quality, in the $1,200.00 (or thereabout) range. Of course there's nothing wrong with spending less and still getting my desire!! :D

I know nothing about them, or what brands to consider. In fact, I don't (edit) know (edit) what size to get, short of .45 caliber. I think.

The longer the barrel, the more accurate they can be given the shooters skill-set?
This gun likely will not get carried much, except "maybe" on a hunting trip. I don't OWB or open carry. IWB? No.

All of you experienced in the 1911, share your knowledge with me, and help me make a decision. A gratifying purchase that I won't later regret due to my not being educated of them.

Please show me the way to the light. LOL
If I was you, look for a para ordince because the militray love them. I myself prefer the excutive carry in that brand.

I've always wanted to have/get a 1911. The time is now to move on that. I'm not sure what way to go, new or used yet. I want something decent quality, in the $1,200.00 (or thereabout) range. Of course there's nothing wrong with spending less and still getting my desire!! :D

I know nothing about them, or what brands to consider. In fact, I don't (edit) know (edit) what size to get, short of .45 caliber. I think.

The longer the barrel, the more accurate they can be given the shooters skill-set?
This gun likely will not get carried much, except "maybe" on a hunting trip. I don't OWB or open carry. IWB? No.

All of you experienced in the 1911, share your knowledge with me, and help me make a decision. A gratifying purchase that I won't later regret due to my not being educated of them.

Please show me the way to the light. LOL
If you want the experience, get the original. Everything else is a carbon copy.....COLT.

Model-1911-US-Army.jpg

The factory grips actually appear pretty nice IMHO...as long as I liked the feel, I'd probably keep 'em.

I'd you don't already have one, you're going to want a quality holster rig to that 2 lbs. of ol' Slabsides Awesomeness.:). Double thickness belt, at least 1.5" width.

Boss

Last Edited:
If you want to stay 'true' to the name the Colt 1991-A1 is a very nice gun. In your price range with Excellent fit and finish with a nice satin blue (much better now than than the parkerizing on my 'older' 1991-A1)
I almost bought one a while back in 9mm when my local Sportsmsn's Warehouse was still a stocking dealer and had one!
Best non-Colt I have ever seen/shot is the S & W a friend bought a couple years ago. $875, all the 'trimmings' , SS, excellent fit & finish and incredibly accurate.
Also Remington has a couple of different versions, they also put out a lot of WW2 1911s and 1911A1s. Ruger is one that also appears to be nicely finished with good reports.
If you want the experience, get the original. Everything else is a carbon copy.....COLT.

View attachment 558707

Springfield makes some nice equipment. I went with the TRP Tactical (G10 grips) 10 years ago and have no regrets. On the second box of ammo, the G10's start to bite a little, but there is no slipping, and accuracy is excellent in my opinion. I don't do competition, and don't carry it very often. My holster choice is a non-molded pancake style belt slide leather. Stays secure, tight to my side, and have not experienced any discomfort; even during 8 hours of carry hiking with it. Some may say it won't re-holster as easily as a Kydex or model specific hard leather. As I see it: if I pulled the firearm out to use it, I am probably not in any hurry to re-holster it (if I was shooting competition, that would be different).

Last Edited:
If you you are a collector of original military firearms and it was one that you didn't have. Or in exceptional unaltered condition of a rare manufacture where if was part of luck of the draw instead of picked over and those more valued being kept for high biding. I would consider it. However, it's my understanding those available are ones that have been rebuilt on or more times putting into a used category, making those prices unrealistic. My understanding is to protect themselves, three background checks must be done. The same offer was made in the early 60s for the same, 1911 A1 for $20, without a background. Even if the pistol was crap, it was a great value. I don't think this one is a particular great value when compared to new in the box with warranty models. You say that you won't be carrying it much, but there are many good holsters that are not expensive. I like simple slide types, those tanker type that position on the chest are great one as well as the GI hip holsters. Shoulder holsters are also comfortable. I like Bianci ones a lot. Prices can run for$600 to $3,000 to 4000 on the top by many of the top gun makers with many top custom people to make the run way you may want!
It covers such a vast field that you almost have to sit down and make a list of wants before you find a smith that specializes what your needs are. Best of luck whatever your decision

Springfield makes some nice equipment. I went with the TRP Tactical (G10 grips) 10 years ago and have no regrets. On the second box of ammo, the G10's start to bite a little, but there is no slipping, and accuracy is excellent in my opinion. I don't do competition, and don't carry it very often. My holster choice is a non-molded pancake style belt slide leather. Stays secure, tight to my side, and have not experienced any discomfort; even during 8 hours of carry hiking with it. Some may say it won't re-holster as easily as a Kydex or model specific hard leather. As I see it: if I pulled the firearm out to use it, I am probably not in any hurry to re-holster it (if I was shooting competition, that would be different).
I once heard the Springfield Armoury guns were made in China.
Do you know if that's true?

Dean

I once heard the Springfield Armoury guns were made in China.
Do you know if that's true?

Dean
None of them are made in China . . the Polymer models are from Croatia, some of the 1911's have some machining done in Brazil (I've read) and the top of the line models TRP, FBI model are USA made. I believe the article I read almost ten years ago was from someone at Springfield.

Decide you aren't going to buy one when you go to the range that offers guns for sale and 'guns to try'....buy their ammo (they'll need you to do that) and test out all the 1911 45's they have, maybe even write some notes about how each felt to you...gaining some idea of what you want.
Most reputable ranges with 'guns to try' don't have pushy salespersons, imo....Buying used is a reasonable possibility too.
It might be a good idea to get really clear about your intended use of the pistol too; like you mentioned, longer barrel better accuracy, and not for carry, etc.
I bought a great Kimber (used), but a lot of folks dislike them; I got a great 9mm years ago and have kept it in great shape...I can't hold it very well any more and was never much into contests (IDPA, etc.), but it is still my car pistol with my 380 in my pocket.
Good luck and take your time!!:D

Decide you aren't going to buy one when you go to the range that offers guns for sale and 'guns to try'....buy their ammo (they'll need you to do that) and test out all the 1911 45's they have, maybe even write some notes about how each felt to you...gaining some idea of what you want.
Most reputable ranges with 'guns to try' don't have pushy salespersons, imo....Buying used is a reasonable possibility too.
It might be a good idea to get really clear about your intended use of the pistol too; like you mentioned, longer barrel better accuracy, and not for carry, etc.
I bought a great Kimber (used), but a lot of folks dislike them; I got a great 9mm years ago and have kept it in great shape...I can't hold it very well any more and was never much into contests (IDPA, etc.), but it is still my car pistol with my 380 in my pocket.
Good luck and take your time!!:D
Thank you for the reminder....thus, my former post.....

...will now be amended to also include the AMT .45 HARDBALLER L-O-N-G-S-L-I-D-E...because when it comes to the Cool Factor it just doesn't get any cooler than a 1911 with a 7" barrel. :cool:

...and now for the speed round….

...:s0155::s0151:;)

Dean

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show