JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had to make an ultimate choice of choices. My past time spent in the ARMY had some influence, being ODG. LOL!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this part of the journey. :)

Boss seems to know his stuff.

You made a sound decision. Use good brass cased ammo. Don't cheap out on steel cased junk and call Springfield a bubblegumty tool. There are plenty of brass cased ammo that is very economical to buy.

Let us know on this thread how it goes. Let's hear the good and the bad.

PS, plz beware of making an idiot mark. Maybe Boss or someone else can explain that one. ;)

^^Agreed. Wally World Winchester White Box ball is an easy, decent 'go to' if you don't want to spend alot of time shopping, wait for sales, or order on line.. I've had decent luck with Blazer Brass and Aluminium 9mm, their .45 is probably comparable. For a gun of that quality, it deserves better than cheap foreign steel case fodder.

The 'idiot mark' comes from reinstallation on the slide stop...basically rotating across/scoring the trigger area...a real eye sore and generally frowned upon.

Boss

^^Agreed. Wally World Winchester White Box ball is an easy, decent 'go to' if you don't want to spend alot of time shopping, wait for sales, or order on line.. I've had decent luck with Blazer Brass and Aluminium 9mm, their .45 is probably comparable. For a gun of that quality, it deserves better than cheap foreign steel case fodder.

The 'idiot mark' comes from reinstallation on the slide stop...basically rotating across/scoring the trigger area...a real eye sore and generally frowned upon.

Boss
Roger that on the ammo. I'll have to get some. Online may be cheapest. I'm not in a hurry to blow on some local, as if I'm gonna play, I'll do so by the 1000rd case cost. I have some Tula crap, but that was used through my G21. Using it in the 1911, it crossed my mind for a split second, then no, was the answer. I hear ya on the ammo bit.

The Idiot Mark, I get it. What you guys are referring to. And thanks for the smack upside the head NOW, so I'm aware. Appreciated!!

Roger that on the ammo. I'll have to get some. Online may be cheapest. I'm not in a hurry to blow on some local, as if I'm gonna play, I'll do so by the 1000rd case cost. I have some Tula crap, but that was used through my G21. Using it in the 1911, it crossed my mind for a split second, then no, was the answer. I hear ya on the ammo bit.

The Idiot Mark, I get it. What you guys are referring to. And thanks for the smack upside the head NOW, so I'm aware. Appreciated!!

Yip...check YouTube videos on assembly and disassembly. They'll teach ya how to avoid the idiot mark. Would be a shame to scar that beauty you got there.

Even if you did tho, you could always send it in to the factory and I bet money they'd fix it for you for free. Would be a hassle tho to ship it and be without your firearm for a bit of time.

Even if you did tho, you could always send it in to the factory and I bet money they'd fix it for you for free. Would be a hassle tho to ship it and be without your firearm for a bit of time.
My truck went 14 years without a scratch, till last fall someone else put one in it. Meaning I use my tools, and take care of them the same. Happens to the best of things, eventually. *edit* The CS sound excellent, base on what you're saying. I like that.

I have no complaints with this Springfield.
4C6C09B5-E173-488B-8E52-0D82828C762F.jpeg

1 - If you treat your 1911 like you treat your lawnmower...buy a Glock or M&P...unless you get a higher quality make/model..
Huey on that one, had Rock Island basic GI style in .45acp that literally fed everything, 185 grain SWC(didn't think ANY AUTO-LOADER WOULD FEED THESE), 230 grain jhp that was loaded probably a little too hot,(still not sure if it was +p level or more like .45 super). My Springfield was just as reliable but a bit more accurate despite a heavier trigger pull.(Mil Spec stainless model,also .45 acp)

I stole that statement from Larry Vickers, but added the M&P to it.

I am glad for folks when they get a 1911 and it runs out of the box with no problems. BUT, the 1911's I get on my bench to work on are the lower end makes/models...in fact I can't recall right off having a better quality 1911 on the bench.

With 1911's, just because they are running, doesn't mean they are running correctly...time will tell.

Unfortunately...They are like most things in life...you get what you pay for.

Lots to consider for sure. I've had the pleasure of using the following 1911's. Rock Island 3.5", Kimber 3", 4" Pro Raptor (traded) & Pro Super Carry HD (still have, awesome), S&W E Series 4.25", Springfield Armory TRP. The only one that ever had any issues, was the 3" barreled Kimber. And many have left comment in many websites stating that 3" barreled 1911's are prone to issues. Personally, I like the Pro Size for Carry (4-4.25"); though I've been meaning to look at the Remington (Para Ordnance previously) 3.5" Executive model. Haven't found anyone with one on the shelf to date. Personally, I like the rounded heel models, and preferred the Kimber and S&W round over the Dan Wesson angle heel. Feels better in the hand when shooting. There certainly plenty of models to be had for the price you've put up to spend. The Rock Island I had was just over $550, the most I ever spent was $1439. The S&W I mentioned had a Scandium Frame, less weight, somewhat more felt recoil. Rock Islands are built like tanks, take abuse and keep on ticking. The TRP was great, but I didn't enjoy carrying it due to size. I don't carry a 45 all the time, but when I do, I want it to be comfortable. I haven't really noticed any difference in my accuracy using a 3.5"-5" barrel. Good luck in the journey to get a 1911; I like the design more than striker fired polymer firearms. For most days, it's a 9mm 1911 design compact.

Just to get a grasp on availability, I've been looking at all the available grips, materials etc. My goal is to make my 1911 unique in style and appearance. Acrylic, not happening. Wood, some designs and colors are gorgeous. Too nice IMO. Gold, silver, pewter, see through billet carved, tusk, bone, exotic woods, not likely.

I think I've narrowed my selection to come from G-10/Micarta. VZ Grips seem to have more color variations/patterns than others. Two laminated colors seem the to be norm. Which are nice looking, I was hoping there would be an option to build color layers by choice. Does anyone know if other grip designers have options like mentioned? I'd be apt to custom, if personal designs could incorporated in to an order?

I've always wanted to have/get a 1911. The time is now to move on that. I'm not sure what way to go, new or used yet. I want something decent quality, in the $1,200.00 (or thereabout) range. Of course there's nothing wrong with spending less and still getting my desire!! :D

I know nothing about them, or what brands to consider. In fact, I don't (edit) know (edit) what size to get, short of .45 caliber. I think.

The longer the barrel, the more accurate they can be given the shooters skill-set?
This gun likely will not get carried much, except "maybe" on a hunting trip. I don't OWB or open carry. IWB? No.

All of you experienced in the 1911, share your knowledge with me, and help me make a decision. A gratifying purchase that I won't later regret due to my not being educated of them.

Please show me the way to the light. LOL

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top