JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Found this really unique dead tree that a friend had used as a landmark 17 years ago when hunting in the area. He said it looked shorter when we found it again. Discovered that the top portion had been knocked off by wind and landed nearby stuck into the ground. That would have hurt if you happened to be standing there.

View attachment 745244

View attachment 745245

Had a HS classmate I knew. He took up logging as a profession. He was killed by a "widow maker"; a limb from a tree fell on him.

Every year, especially in the winter, I find large limbs and even the occasional tree in my woods have fallen.

One year I went XC skiing near Bend with my daughter and nephew. One of the days there were high winds and people were advised to stay out of the woods. One person ignored the advice and was killed by a falling tree.

One winter west of Salem my brother, a friend, and I were walking in the woods about 300 yards from the house. It was after a one foot snowfall, and the woods were very silent from the fluffy snow absorbing sound, probably because there was no wind at all. As we walked, a large limb broke off a Maple tree and fell about 50 feet from us. It was real scary, and the noise was incredible! :eek:

Had a HS classmate I knew. He took up logging as a profession. He was killed by a "widow maker"; a limb from a tree fell on him.

Every year, especially in the winter, I find large limbs and even the occasional tree in my woods have fallen.

One year I went XC skiing near Bend with my daughter and nephew. One of the days there were high winds and people were advised to stay out of the woods. One person ignored the advice and was killed by a falling tree.
Same here (minus the deaths). Last few years, the fall and winter winds have really thinned out the woods up by the highway.
Just bought a generator, so this year should be the calmest in all my 53 years out here. :rolleyes:

Same here (minus the deaths). Last few years, the fall and winter winds have really thinned out the woods up by the highway.

If you look at the trees around my house they are just full of widow makers. I've thought about getting a hoist and cutting them off (my neighbor did that but he has much fewer trees), but I have other priorities and the plan is to sell and move.

Some of the trees have most of the widow makers broken off - I think it is because they are more exposed to the wind. So far I am lucky that no limbs have fallen on any of the vehicles - every once in a while I find a big limb on or near the driveway.

We get the occasional limb, but in my case, whole tops like to pop off and take out power/cable lines.
During the storm that took out the bridge, top 15 feet or so broke off and just missed the house (still have some broken shingles on that side of the house, where a couple of limbs grazed it).
Did a number on the drain field, though. We had to do some diggin', once we cut the tree top out of the way.
...dam sails....
About 15 years ago, another tree broke about 20 feet up and smacked the roof....then we had to call insurance.

I found a pile contractors trash and a receipt with with the contractors name on it. I had met the Deputy working for the BLM, He told me if I saw something let him know. Funny thing is the contractor was married to a friends ex. My friend was laughing about guy getting visited by the Deputy.

I found a pile contractors trash and a receipt with with the contractors name on it. I had met the Deputy working for the BLM, He told me if I saw something let him know. Funny thing is the contractor was married to a friends ex. My friend was laughing about guy getting visited by the Deputy.
Disposing of one's trash in the woods is a heinous act in my book. That guy needs to have his gonads removed. If he doesn't like that, then just shoot him...

I see this in rural and forest areas a lot; people dumping their trash in ditches along the road - often mattresses and furniture.

Same with pets they don't want anymore.
In my book, "people" (term used very loosely) that dump pets like that get to skip the gonad-removal part...

Disposing of one's trash in the woods is a heinous act in my book.

I see this in rural and forest areas a lot; people dumping their trash in ditches along the road - often mattresses and furniture.
Many people in rural areas do this because they don't want (or can't afford) to pay the fees at transfer stations for things like mattresses, overstuffed furniture, old appliances, and even household garbage. I think the state would be better off accepting trash at transfer stations without charge. It would keep the woods cleaner, and they just have to spend money cleaning up after the deadbeats anyway.

Many people in rural areas do this because they don't want (or can't afford) to pay the fees at transfer stations for things like mattresses, overstuffed furniture, old appliances, and even household garbage. I think the state would be better of accepting trash at transfer stations without charge. It would keep the woods cleaner, and they just have to spend money cleaning up after the deadbeats anyway.
IME - it is the city trash that gets dumped in the country

Probably both.
Generally, IME, people in the country let their garbage pile up somewhere. If it is burnable (like a mattress or a sofa) then it goes on a burn pile and gets burnt. If it is a junk car/etc., then it gets left on their property - you see this in the countryside; where farmers/etc. have junk cars, tractors/etc. sitting on their property. We live here, so we don't dump our garbage in the ditches. The city folk bring theirs out to the countryside and the woods and dump it in the ditches or the rock pits/etc. - out of their sight, for us to deal with.

In any case, fees at transfer stations are getting pretty steep. Here in Marion County there is a minimum charge of $25 (last time I was there). It doesn't encourage people to dispose of trash legally.
Yes - I hauled some junk to the dumps a couple years ago, both mine and my kids, and it was $40 for WA county for a small pickup load, while in Yamhill it was $25 (IIRC) for my large flatbed.

I have one grocery sack full of trash per week - I am not going to pay $20/mo for that. My neighbor lets me put in their garbage bin for weekly pickup, I let him borrow my drag harrow occasionally and things like that. I would never just dump anything in a ditch.

Generally, IME, people in the country let their garbage pile up somewhere. If it is burnable (like a mattress or a sofa) then it goes on a burn pile and gets burnt. If it is a junk car/etc., then it gets left on their property - you see this in the countryside; where farmers/etc. have junk cars, tractors/etc. sitting on their property. We live here, so we don't dump our garbage in the ditches. The city folk bring theirs out to the countryside and the woods and dump it in the ditches or the rock pits/etc. - out of their sight, for us to deal with.
That may be the case where you live. But I see trash get dumped in the woods all the time on the forest road leading to my BOL. Bags full of household garbage, furniture, you name it. Left by the side of the road, tossed over the bank, or piled up in turnouts. No sooner does the county or USFS clean it up (infrequently), someone dumps again. I assure you it's the locals. There are no "city folk" around, and nobody is driving the 35 miles out from Grants Pass to dump their trash.

Dumping bodies isn't as easy as it used to be, either.
Sure it is. Just need to know the right people... ;)

1675635246054.png

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR