JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After I posted it, I went back and changed it. IIRC we used to be able to delete posts, but now it seems we cannot. So I had to stick something in there - hence the "wrong thread" comment.
Deleting our own posts would be nice. Been many many years since I've been part of a forum that had that feature.
In the meantime, feel free to use my "tough penguin", if you want...

ToughPenguin.jpg

Deleting our own posts would be nice. Been many many years since I've been part of a forum that had that feature.
In the meantime, feel free to use my "tough penguin", if you want...

View attachment 737383
It's OFFICIAL! Tough Penguin is the new replacement for deleted posts on this board!
Saving image to Favorites... :cool:

I may go back and edit more recent posts that I deleted. Or I may not. If you see the scrappy waddler, well, you'll know why...

Last Edited:
It's OFFICIAL! Tough Penguin is the new replacement for deleted posts on this board!
Saving image to Favorites... :cool:

I may go back and edit more recent posts that I deleted. Or I may not. If you see the scrappy waddler, well, you'll know why...

The one where you expose your lady parts by admitting to season tickets to the opera would be a good start.

P

That was then. This is now. I'm not proud of some things I've done in the past. But I owned it. So there's that... :p

well it wasnt hunting it was fishing but years ago my buddie and i were fishing bonnie lure park on eagle creek and found a group of naked people sitting in the river like praying to the sun or something,i was imbarrased by it so walked down river and notice louis was missing so went back to find him sitting down getting a massage by one of the women and eating her watermelon.
i told him the guy looked like david korish and they were probably a cult that was going to sacrifice him.
Sounds like a scene from Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?

A couple relics from the past I found during today's excursions.

An old tree stand, which bodes well since I was scouting. It was a good piece of ground and this encouraged me. This thing must have been sturdy, there was at least 8 inches of a huge spike sticking out up where the stand was.
KIMG0846.JPG

A couple railroad spikes in an old stump. This was way up on a ridgetop and obviously someone put the there.
KIMG0834.JPG

I have no idea what this is/was. It's welded together, looks like it used to be a cabinet or something. It's been here so long the tree has grown up through part of it.
KIMG0837.JPG
KIMG0836.JPG
KIMG0835.JPG

A few miles on the Grande Ronde River road upriver from the Five Points/Hilgard junction on I84 is/was a graveyard. The stories I heard were mostly about one or another immigrant group who had come to work on the highways in the early 1900s. Last time I visited was in the late 1950s. All of the markers were wood, and had been weather-beaten to unreadable. Spooky at the time to see all those then-unknown people. Also heard that the whole graveyard had been disinterred. Not quite on topic, but, if anyone has more info, please post.

Over the millions of years that humans have been around, billions of people have died around the world - and yes, I know, we didn't always have the population we have now, but the years add up. People have died and just never been found, so basically a lot of corpses have dropped and rotted and been scattered by animals and insects and worms, all around - just as many other animals have - probably more widely than any other mammal because we have adapted and explored more places than most animals.

So when you consider that the world is just one big "graveyard", it isn't so strange that formal graveyards exist here and there, including out in the woods.

I live in the woods. In the PNW, what exists one year is overgrown in ten years, and pretty much disappears almost completely in 100 years - even metal and concrete/stone. Especially after logging and replanting and farms coming and going and forests reclaiming cleared land. If you look at old photos of places 100, 200 years ago and what it is now. Places I used to go thru when I was a kid 50-60 years ago, most pretty much don't exist as they did back then - only the ones protected by law, and even those are succumbing to suburban creep/growth/"progress".

" In the PNW, what exists one year is overgrown in ten years, and pretty much disappears almost completely in 100 years. "

I used to live on Bainbridge Island.
There is a private country club out on the SE tip of the island. You can see part of it, as you leave for Seattle on the ferry.
The road that leads to that country club starts next to a park in Blakely Harbour.
While I lived there, I found out the wooded hillside, on the right side of that road, when you first turn onto it, used to be an entire village built around a lumber mill that is now the park.
It existed from around 1900 until sometime in the 1920's.
Heretic's poignant post about people's lives and the effect of time reminded me of that and the fact that if you drove past that spot now, you'd never know any of that was ever there.

That's what I loved about living in Arizona; the climate preserved structures for a long, long time.

You can drive out into the desert and find remains of mining towns and homestead sites from 100 years ago.

Arizona%20Abandon%20Gold%20Mine.jpg

The same is true of mid Canada. The first time I went to visit my sister on her wheat ranch (farms mean dairy up there) in Saskatchewan I was surprised as to the number of old buildings and barns still standing. Some of them were literally log cabins, some still in use as storage sheds. The climate for dryland farming preserves things, not unlike the desert mentioned in the previous post.

Found this really unique dead tree that a friend had used as a landmark 17 years ago when hunting in the area. He said it looked shorter when we found it again. Discovered that the top portion had been knocked off by wind and landed nearby stuck into the ground. That would have hurt if you happened to be standing there.

rvlETqqsRDajbQl5wV6BMA.jpg

2ePl8G1qSo2VbFJHQFW2ZA.jpg

Nope. Drunk rednecks live everywhere. Dude I know back east once took me backroading. Went down a road so terrible we had to be careful coming down it in a 4wd SUV. He went UP in one night in a Buick century. Had a case of beer. Said everytime he got stuck he drank enough to drive it hard enough to get it unstuck.
Driving up a back road into Scout lake for a hike up Mt Jeff. We had tried the main road but the bridge had washed out and hadn't been replaced. So we drive around the county to a back road in from the South. Rolled through some camp areas and off the gravel onto a dirt road.
Soon we started to encounter some wash out pot holes. 4-8 foot across and a couple feet deep. Slowly bouncing in and out I'm giving my new (to me) Bronco a work out. Until I reach a sign on the road way that says "End of Maintained Road"

If what we tried to pass through was the "Maintained" section, I didn't want to see the rest and turned us around.
We started the Climb with a ten mile hike.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top